|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roy refer to as the two cards that you keep in a hand of poker in Part One: "Bridge Music"?
(a) Family and native land.
(b) Love and loyalty.
(c) Humor and hope.
(d) Personality and intelligence.
2. On what date did Roy and Celestial have their first date?
(a) March 5.
(b) November 17.
(c) September 12.
(d) July 7.
3. Who is the attorney that was retained for Roy's appeal?
(a) Mr. Banks.
(b) Mr. Roberts.
(c) Mr. Floyd.
(d) Mr. Duncan.
4. When Celestial began making sock dolls, they were donated to what hospital to comfort crack babies?
(a) St. Mary's Hospital.
(b) Wilson Hospital.
(c) Xavier Hospital.
(d) Grady Hospital.
5. What is Andre's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Roy describe his ex-girlfriend pulling a gun on him in Part One: "Bridge Music"?
2. What does Uncle Banks describe as being what is considered "the worst of the South" in Part One: "Bridge Music" (86)?
3. What is the name of the hotel where Roy and Celestial stayed when visiting his parents on Labor Day weekend?
4. When Olive develops lung cancer, how long has it been since she has touched a cigarette?
5. Who played the piano at Roy and Celestial's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Celestial's baby doll in the prison outfit symbolize?
2. How does Roy respond to Celestial's "Dear John" letter?
3. How would you describe the relationship between Roy's parents and Celestial?
4. Where is Roy from? How is this setting described?
5. What is the inciting event in An American Marriage?
6. How does Mr. Davenport respond when Andre announces his engagement to Celestial?
7. Describe Celestial's "Dear John" letter. When does she send it?
8. What does Celestial reveal about her departure from Howard University via letter in Part One: "Bridge Music"?
9. What does Roy write to inform Celestial five years after he has been incarcerated?
10. How does Roy describe Walter when he first becomes his cell mate?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)