|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Charles Lindbergh like as a student?
2. What was conventional wisdom for how to pursue the Orteig prize?
3. Who was Shorty Lynch?
4. When was Charles Lindbergh's first flight?
5. What will sleep mean for Lindbergh while he is flying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Lindbergh family history before Charles Lindbergh, the aviator and subject of this biography, was born?
2. How does Lindbergh describe his relationship with The Spirit of St. Louis?
3. What was the Orteig prize?
4. How did Lindbergh prevent himself falling asleep?
5. Describe Lindbergh's first plane.
6. Where did Lindbergh learn to fly officially?
7. What special accommodations did Lindbergh make to increase his chances of success?
8. How did Lindbergh approach his landing place?
9. What was Lindbergh's reputation as a pilot?
10. Describe the crowds that were present for Lindbergh's departure.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Presidents Kennedy and Johnson invoking by inviting Lindbergh to state dinners at the White House? How did they distinguish between Lindbergh the aviator and Lindbergh the Nazi propagandist?
Essay Topic 2
What should Lindbergh be remembered for now? Using evidence from the book, and analysis of today's culture, describe the value of Lindbergh's legacy today.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that the media were fair to accuse the Lindberghs of abandoning their second child when they departed for a tour of Europe shortly after his birth?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)