|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had Lindbergh expected to meet him?
(a) Thronging crowds.
(b) A handful of reporters.
(c) His wife.
2. What business were Orville and Wilbur Wright in, when they invented the airplane in 1903?
(d) Bicycle mechanics.
3. What does Lindbergh say he will do if this flight fails?
(a) Return to the air mail.
(b) Try again.
(c) Start a family.
(d) Give up flying.
4. How does Denenberg say Lindbergh characterized the camera men to himself?
(a) He felt they could not get enough pictures.
(b) He felt they were out to frame him and embarrass him.
(c) He felt they wanted to tear him apart.
(d) He felt they wanted to take his place themselves.
5. What was C.A. Lindbergh's birth name?
6. How does Lindbergh describe his relationship with The Spirit of St. Louis?
(a) He says that it felt like a willful machine.
(b) He says that it felt like an extension of his body.
(c) He says it felt like a stubborn woman.
(d) He says that it felt like a wild animal.
7. What did Lindbergh encounter off the coast of Nova Scotia?
8. What did Charles Lindbergh prefer to do during college?
(a) Help his father with politics.
(b) Build airplanes.
(c) Race motorcycles.
(d) Study engineering.
9. How did Lindbergh locate the airport in Paris? He looked for the lights.
(a) He was led to it by an escort.
(b) He looked for the lights.
(c) He followed the flares.
(d) He navigated to it.
10. What was at the heart of Charles Lindbergh's first machine?
(a) A small engine.
(b) An airfoil.
(c) A primitive computer.
(d) A pulley system.
11. What happened to Lindbergh in the 14th hour of the flight?
(a) He fell asleep.
(b) He lost his way.
(c) He stalled.
(d) He flew too high.
12. What was the public's reaction to Lindbergh's manner in front of cameras?
(a) They were incensed.
(b) They were put off.
(c) They were endeared.
(d) They were fascinated.
13. What did C.A. Lindbergh accomplish in 1906?
(a) Election to the Minnesota House of Representatives.
(b) He held hearings into the spread of socialism in America.
(c) He won a prominent corruption case.
(d) Election to the U.S. House of Representatives.
14. What other trick would Lindbergh do while barnstorming?
(b) Aerial acrobatics.
(c) Jump from one plane to another.
(d) Hang from the wing by a strap.
15. Where was The Spirit of St. Louis built?
(a) Washington D.C.
(b) San Diego.
(c) St. Louis.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was conventional wisdom for how to pursue the Orteig prize?
2. How much was the Orteig prize?
3. Who was Harry Knight?
4. What happened to Lindbergh after landing?
5. What was the estimate of the size of the crowd that saw Lindbergh land?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)