|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far was the first powered flight?
(a) 1,200 yards.
(b) 120 feet.
(c) 120 miles.
(d) 12 miles.
2. When did Lindbergh make his transatlantic flight?
3. What was the reaction to Lindbergh's transatlantic flight?
(a) He became a celebrity.
(b) He became a controversial figure.
(c) He became a pariah.
(d) He became a hermit.
4. How did Charles Lindbergh help his father's political campaign?
(a) By organizing his campaign.
(b) By writing for his advertisements.
(c) By soliciting support for him.
(d) By driving him around the country.
5. What was Lindbergh's policy about a parachute on the transatlantic flight?
(a) He had a parachute built for the plane in case of failure.
(b) He carried a very lightweight parachute.
(c) He did not carry one.
(d) He carried a life raft instead.
6. Why were lessons few and far between at the Ray Page's Flying School?
(a) Page had been spooked when he saw a friend die in a plane crash.
(b) Page had difficulty keeping his craft in flying condition.
(c) Page was an alcoholic, and his flying days were few and far between.
(d) Page was always traveling around looking for schemes for making money.
7. Who insisted that Charles Lindbergh attend college?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) He himself did.
8. What had Lindbergh been worried about, in terms of landing in France?
9. What was the advantage of this placement for the fuel tank?
(a) It removed the need for a fuel pump.
(b) It was safer for the pilot.
(c) It was closer to the center of lift.
(d) It was closer to the center of gravity.
10. What did Lindbergh see in the 27th hour?
(b) An airplane escort.
(d) Fishing boats.
11. Why did Lindbergh leave from this airport?
(a) It would help protect him from publicity.
(b) It was paved.
(c) It was furthest east.
(d) It had a long runway.
12. What goal did Lindbergh ask the manufacturers to aim for with The Spirit of St. Louis?
(a) As light as possible.
(b) As sleek as possible.
(c) As strong as possible.
(d) As fast as possible.
13. What kind of crisis does Lindbergh say he had in his ninth hour of flight?
(b) Desire to be on the ground.
14. When were the contents of chapter 5 written?
(a) After the flight to Paris.
(b) Before the flight to Paris.
(c) In the air to Paris.
(d) It is not certain when they were composed.
15. What did Charles Lindbergh prefer to do during college?
(a) Study engineering.
(b) Build airplanes.
(c) Race motorcycles.
(d) Help his father with politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was C.A. Lindbergh's mother's house?
2. Where did Lindbergh take The Spirit of St. Louis on its first flight?
3. Where did Lindbergh want to put the fuel tank?
4. Who else did reporters visit because of their interest in Lindbergh?
5. What was Lindbergh's nickname?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)