|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Charles Lindbergh's family when he was three and a half years old?
(a) Charles' brother was kidnapped.
(b) A flood destroyed their home.
(c) Charles' mother died.
(d) A fire destroyed their home.
2. What did the relative who taught Charles Lindbergh to tinker do for a career?
3. Who was Harry Knight?
(a) Lindbergh's instructor.
(b) Lindbergh's mechanic.
(c) The money behind Lindbergh's attempt at the Orteig prize.
(d) Lindbergh's business partner.
4. What kind of crisis does Lindbergh say he had in his ninth hour of flight?
(a) Desire to be on the ground.
5. What did Charles Lindbergh prefer to do during college?
(a) Race motorcycles.
(b) Help his father with politics.
(c) Build airplanes.
(d) Study engineering.
6. What were Lindbergh and his flight team waiting for before he took off?
(a) Permission to land in Paris.
(b) Official clearance.
(c) News about Lindbergh's mother's health.
(d) Good weather.
7. How would you describe the crowd that came to see Lindbergh take off for Europe?
(a) A few judges and fellow pilots.
(c) A couple of friends.
(d) A small group and a reporter.
8. What does Lindbergh say about reporters in chapter 5?
(a) He wishes they would take more care about facts.
(b) He thanks them for making him a celebrity.
(c) He expresses annoyance.
(d) He expresses bewilderment about their desire to write lies.
9. How many people tuned in to the ceremony where Lindbergh returned to Washington D.C.?
(a) 1 million.
(d) 3 million.
10. Where did Lindbergh greet a crowd after sleeping in Paris?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) Le Bourget.
(c) The U.S. Embassy.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
11. Where did Lindbergh take off from?
(a) La Guardia Airport.
(b) Bennett Field.
(c) Flowerfield Airport.
(d) Roosevelt Field.
12. When were the contents of chapter 5 written?
(a) It is not certain when they were composed.
(b) In the air to Paris.
(c) After the flight to Paris.
(d) Before the flight to Paris.
13. What did Lindbergh see in the 27th hour?
(a) Fishing boats.
(d) An airplane escort.
14. How did Lindbergh keep track of fuel consumption on his flight to Paris?
(a) With his stopwatch.
(b) With a manual gauge.
(c) Dead reckoning.
(d) There was a window in the fuel tank.
15. Who insisted that Charles Lindbergh attend college?
(a) He himself did.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Lindbergh reluctant to accept this from the President?
2. What was the public's reaction to Lindbergh's manner in front of cameras?
3. What was conventional wisdom for how to pursue the Orteig prize?
4. Where did Charles Lindbergh inherit his love of machinery?
5. What was the advantage of this placement for the fuel tank?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)