|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last word Opa mutters before he dies?
2. Which of the following books did Paul de Kruif write?
3. What color is bauxite, or aluminum ore?
4. Which of the following diseases gave Pittsburgh the highest death rate in the country?
5. What was Andrew Carnegie's job when he first moved to Pittsburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Opa die?
2. Who does Annie fall in love with while at the Sewickley Dance?
3. How does Annie feel about her mother's position in life?
4. What practical joke does Mother play on an unsuspecting young couple at the zoo?
5. What reactions does Annie get from passers-by when she runs down the street trying to fly?
6. What horrifying sight does Annie see when she returns home from summer camp after a four week vacation from her bug collection?
7. What does Annie think the collection of fall leaves exemplifies in the imagination of children?
8. Who are Louis Pasteur and Jonas Salk?
9. Who is Annie's date to the Sewickley Dance, and what do they do together?
10. How are Annie's views on the realities of WWII different than her views of the French-Indian War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Annie is a child, a tornado sweeps through her neighborhood destroying everything in its path. First, describe Annie's reaction to the power of the storm. Then, describe the destructive effects of the storm on Annie's neighborhood, and explain which post-storm sight most affected Annie's emotions.
Essay Topic 2
Annie describes most of her interactions with boys through the dance lessons of her childhood. First, explain how Annie feels about the boys in Pittsburgh while she is a child. Then, explain how, and why, those feelings change as she matures into adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
When Annie is visiting the Smokey Islands with her father, she is introduced to the locking system of the rivers. First, explain the function of the locking systems in rivers. Then, describe Annie's reaction to the locking systems, and how the knowledge of these systems altered her relationship with Father forever.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)