|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the driver of the car Annie attacked react?
2. What ethnicity is Oma, an aspect very important to her identity?
3. Where does Annie go to watch the effects of the disaster on her neighborhood?
4. During her lessons, how does Annie feel in comparison to the rest of the children?
5. How many rivers meet at the center of Pittsburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry greet Annie and her mother when he spots them at the Homewood Library?
2. How does Annie perform when she plays baseball with the boys?
3. How does Mother react to Father's desire to travel down the river?
4. What realizations about consciousness does Annie Dillard make while struggling with bouts of insomnia as a child?
5. How does Annie feel about the Catholic religion as a child?
6. How does Annie react when her mother forced her to greet the neighborhood nuns?
7. What is Annie Dillard's father's greatest dream in life?
8. What is Mother's favorite joke about the brick and the little black poodle?
9. How was the city of Pittsburgh founded?
10. What is Oma's greatest desire for her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie frequently discusses feeling profoundly inspired when she walks into a library. First, give at least two examples of times with the inspiration of books overwhelmed Annie. Then, briefly explain how Annie's inspiration from books changed as she matured.
Essay Topic 2
In school, Annie's class hatches the larvae of a Polyphemus moth. First, explain Annie's emotions at the anticipation of the moth's hatching. Then, explain the devastating effects of captivity on the classroom moth. Finally, describe Annie's emotions when she sees the moth set free.
Essay Topic 3
Annie's favorite sport as a child was baseball. First, explain how Annie was introduced to the sport, and how the sport of baseball affected her daily life. Then, describe Annie's experience playing baseball with the neighborhood children. What did she learn from this experience? Finally, describe Annie's emotions about the transition from playing baseball to playing softball. What did she learn about herself in this experience?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)