|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Mother's favorite joke, the one that takes two days to tell, what does the little black poodle bring back to the train car?
2. What is the name of the firm where Annie's father works?
3. Why isn't Annie allowed to play with the Sheehy children?
4. How does Annie feel when she is approached by homeless people in the park?
5. What do Annie and her friend place on a train track, just to see what would happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annie spend her time in Frick Park?
2. What is Annie Dillard's father's greatest dream in life?
3. What is Oma's greatest desire for her family?
4. What stark winter memory does Annie have regarding Jo Anne Sheehy?
5. How was the city of Pittsburgh founded?
6. How do Annie's parents feel about jokes in the home?
7. How does Oma feel about Annie scrounging for money on the beach?
8. What is Father's role in the film "Night of the Living Dead"?
9. How does Annie perform when she plays baseball with the boys?
10. How does Annie react to each of her sisters when they were born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Literature plays a large role in Annie's childhood. First, name at least two novels Annie was reading as a child and explain how the themes of these novels directly related to Annie's life. Do you think Annie's reading list as a ten-year-old child was age appropriate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Annie's favorite sport as a child was baseball. First, explain how Annie was introduced to the sport, and how the sport of baseball affected her daily life. Then, describe Annie's experience playing baseball with the neighborhood children. What did she learn from this experience? Finally, describe Annie's emotions about the transition from playing baseball to playing softball. What did she learn about herself in this experience?
Essay Topic 3
When Annie is a young child, her father makes the decision to leave the family and travel down the Mississippi. First, explain why Father made the decision to travel down the river, and whether or not he succeeded. Then, describe the family's reaction to Father's journey. Finally, explain the impact her father's journey had on Annie's life as an adult, and how it inspired her.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)