|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the middle-aged woman sees Annie trying to fly, how does she react?
2. Which part of Annie's parents' bodies is she obsessed with as a child of five?
3. How tall is Annie's father?
4. What is the name of Amy's friend who lets Annie ride on the back of his bicycle?
5. How old is Annie when her parents move to a new house on Richland Lane?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the city of Pittsburgh founded?
2. How does Oma feel about Annie scrounging for money on the beach?
3. What is Annie Dillard's father's greatest dream in life?
4. How does Annie describe life for the typical family after WWII?
5. How does Annie perform when she plays baseball with the boys?
6. What fascinates Annie most about the library books she checks out?
7. What realizations about consciousness does Annie Dillard make while struggling with bouts of insomnia as a child?
8. How does Annie feel about the Catholic religion as a child?
9. What is Mother's favorite joke about the brick and the little black poodle?
10. How does Mother react to Father's desire to travel down the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a teenager, Annie describes herself as wild and troubled. First, give at least two examples of behaviors which were considered unacceptable in Annie's household and what the consequences of these actions were in Annie's life. Then, explain how Annie saved herself from what she has described as a life of destruction?
Essay Topic 2
Annie describes most of her interactions with boys through the dance lessons of her childhood. First, explain how Annie feels about the boys in Pittsburgh while she is a child. Then, explain how, and why, those feelings change as she matures into adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
Annie's favorite sport as a child was baseball. First, explain how Annie was introduced to the sport, and how the sport of baseball affected her daily life. Then, describe Annie's experience playing baseball with the neighborhood children. What did she learn from this experience? Finally, describe Annie's emotions about the transition from playing baseball to playing softball. What did she learn about herself in this experience?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)