|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Pittsburgh when it first sprung up as a settlement?
(a) Mountainous, stony landscape.
(b) Covered with trees and vegetation.
(c) Filled with wildflower fields.
(d) Bare and deserted.
2. What does Oma tell Annie about money?
(a) That it is the source of all evil.
(b) That it is useless.
(c) That it is dirty.
(d) That it is the only true joy in life.
3. What is the name of Amy's friend who lets Annie ride on the back of his bicycle?
4. Which of the following modes of transportation is the newest edition to Annie's neighborhood in the late 1950's?
5. What does Mother do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse.
(b) She is a writer.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a housewife.
6. How does Annie's father plan to travel to the city of his dreams?
(a) By plane.
(b) On foot.
(c) By car.
(d) By boat.
7. What is the name of the pilot in Father's favorite book, "Life on the Mississippi"?
(a) Mr. Pennywise.
(b) Mr. Loo.
(c) Mr. Trafalger.
(d) Mr. Bixby.
8. How many rivers meet at the center of Pittsburgh?
9. Which of the following materials is used to make most of the streets in Annie's neighborhood?
10. During which month of the year did Hitler die?
11. When Annie Dillard imagines everything leaving her brain, what is the one thing she thinks will remain?
(b) The faces of her loved ones.
(c) Her own name.
(d) The state capitals.
12. How does Annie feel about her mother's intelligence?
(a) She feels her mother's intelligence is wasted.
(b) She feels her mother's intelligence could rival the greatest thinkers of her time.
(c) She feels her mother's intelligence is hidden beneath her beauty.
(d) She feels her mother is funny, but not very intelligent.
13. In which century was the city of Pittsburgh founded?
(a) 18th century.
(b) 17th century.
(c) 16th century.
(d) 19th century.
14. Which of the following is NOT a name of one of the Dillard girls?
15. During which season of the year do Annie and her sisters move in with their grandparents?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Annie's parents' bodies is she obsessed with as a child of five?
2. Which of the following types of music is Annie's father most interested in?
3. How old is Annie when she runs down the street, trying to fly?
4. Where is Annie when she sees her first rose-breasted grosbeak?
5. To which city does Annie's father dream of traveling to?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)