|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hassan do when Lindsey arrives with two other boys?
2. Where does Hollis drive after visiting the factory?
3. What creature does Lindsey say she is similar to when Colin and she are talking in the cave?
4. What do Colin and Lindsey drink when Lindsey shows him the secret?
5. Who does Colin think might be forgotten in another 2,400 years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hollis' long-plan for keeping the factory going and the town in operation?
2. What conversation do Lindsey and Colin overhear when they arrive home?
3. What happens in the interview with Ms. Mabel?
4. What has Colin figured out about the supposed Archduke's grave and what is Lindsey's response?
5. What does Lindsey say she thinks she can fix for Colin?
6. What will happen between Colin and Lindsey according to Colin's theorem?
7. What sounds does Colin wake to a week after Hassan has a beer with Lindsey?
8. What note does Lindsey leave on Colin's bed and what is her statement about it?
9. Who is Katrina with in the cemetery and what does he do when Hassan and Colin make their presence known?
10. What do Hassan and Colin do on their fifth day in Gutshot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "An Abundance of Katherines".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "An Abundance of Katherines". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "An Abundance of Katherines". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "An Abundance of Katherines". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of self awareness in "An Abundance of Katherines". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess self awareness? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of letting go of the past in "An Abundance of Katherines". How does Colin finally realize he needs to look to the future? How does his struggle bring him to that point? What events propel him into the future? What other characters struggle with letting go of the past?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of John Green.
2. What in Green's background may have helped him in writing "An Abundance of Katherines"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
4. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
5. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Green's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Green's probable agenda concerning that idea.
6. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface? Why or why not?
7. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author? Explain your answer with examples.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)