|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin say will eventually swallow everyone up?
2. What does Colin tell Hassan he is going to do?
3. What is Hassa reviewing the next morning when Colin comes downstairs?
4. Where do Hassan and Colin decide to go eat breakfast?
5. What does Lindsey teach Colin how to do?
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "An Abundance of Katherines" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "An Abundance of Katherines" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "An Abundance of Katherines" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "An Abundance of Katherines"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "An Abundance of Katherines" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 2,994 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)