|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the persons doing in the graveyard?
2. What does Lindsey say to Colin and Hassan at the breakfast table?
3. What does Hassan do when Lindsey arrives with two other boys?
4. How much does Hassan loan Lindsey so she can keep playing?
5. What does an elderly woman at the nursing home say that seems to impact Lindsey emotionally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "An Abundance of Katherines". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the symbols he does? Consider the symbolism of Colin's theorem, Colin's last name and the fact of him continuing to fall for girls with the name of Katherine.
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the metaphors he does? What might the metaphor of books stand for or Colin's theorem?
3. Discuss Green's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Green use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 2
"An Abundance of Katherines" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "An Abundance of Katherines"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "An Abundance of Katherines" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 3,076 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)