Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin say will eventually swallow everyone up?
2. What does Colin tell Hassan he is going to do?
3. What is Hassa reviewing the next morning when Colin comes downstairs?
4. Where do Hassan and Colin decide to go eat breakfast?
5. What does Lindsey teach Colin how to do?
Essay Topic 1
"An Abundance of Katherines" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Ironically, Colin is a genius, but he is lacking in common sense. For example, he can read the story about the tortoise and the hare, but he does not see the underlying meaning of the story. In another twist of irony, Colin is a genius but he is not socially advanced, so when he starts school, the other kids do not like him, bully him and think he is strange.
1. Discuss reasons it might be ironic that Colin is so smart academically but has no common sense. Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways and events in "An Abundance of Katherines" that demonstrate Colin has few social skills. Use examples from your own life and this story to support your answer.
3. Do you think must geniuses are socially inept? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why? Use examples from the story and your own life to support your answer.
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own life to support your answer.
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own life to support your answer.
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)