|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hassan and Lindsey go out and do?
2. What is in the place that Hollis goes to after visiting the factory?
3. Where does Lindsey take Colin that is a secret?
4. What are the persons doing in the graveyard?
5. What error does Lindsey think Colin is making in his theorem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Colin and Hassan get separated from the others?
2. Describe the fight that starts by Hassan playing the confessions of Katrina and Colin that Hassan recorded.
3. What do Colin and Hassan witness in the cemetery?
4. What note does Lindsey leave on Colin's bed and what is her statement about it?
5. Who are the boys supposed to interview the day after the fight?
6. Where do Colin and Lindsey go on their "date"?
7. What sounds does Colin wake to a week after Hassan has a beer with Lindsey?
8. What does Hassan admit to Colin about Katrina?
9. What happens in the interview with Ms. Mabel?
10. What is Hollis' long-plan for keeping the factory going and the town in operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"An Abundance of Katherines" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why? Use examples from the story and your own life to support your answer.
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own life to support your answer.
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own life to support your answer.
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "An Abundance of Katherines". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of self awareness in "An Abundance of Katherines". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess self awareness? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of letting go of the past in "An Abundance of Katherines". How does Colin finally realize he needs to look to the future? How does his struggle bring him to that point? What events propel him into the future? What other characters struggle with letting go of the past?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)