|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
2. Why does Hassan say his proposal is necessary?
3. What does Hollis offer Colin and Hassan?
4. Who is working at the convenience store when Colin and Hassan drop off Lindsey there?
5. What is significant about the person whose grave they visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colin remember about himself when he was 25 months old?
2. When did Colin meet Hassan and to what does Colin relate most of his thoughts?
3. What does Colin overhear Hassan and Lindsey talking about and what do the three young people do that evening?
4. What approach do Hassan and Colin use on Hassan's father to gain permission for the trip?
5. What does Starnes say when Colin, Hassan and Linsey interview him?
6. What are Colin and Hassan supposed to do that day and what do they accomplish?
7. How does Colin keep himself awake while driving and why is that ironic?
8. What does Hassan do in order to be able to go back to the Hollis home earlier than they are supposed to?
9. What happens to Colin as they are following their tour guide behind the store and who helps him?
10. What do Lindsey and Colin discuss before bedtime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "An Abundance of Katherines".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "An Abundance of Katherines". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "An Abundance of Katherines". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "An Abundance of Katherines"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "An Abundance of Katherines" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why? Use examples from the story and your own life to support your answer.
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own life to support your answer.
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own life to support your answer.
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)