|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin do when Hassan pulls off the road after they leave the factory?
2. From where did Starnes retire?
3. What are Hassan and Lindsey doing when Colin joins them?
4. What does Colin do as Hassan and Lindsey are playing?
5. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Colin as they are following their tour guide behind the store and who helps him?
2. What do Lindsey and Colin discuss before bedtime?
3. What does Hassan say some of the teens plan to do during the upcoming weekend.
4. What was Colin's first date with Katherine IXI?
5. Where does the tour of the famous grave begin and who gives the tour?
6. What will happen between Colin and Lindsey according to Colin's theorem?
7. Why does Hassan say he is not going to work that Thursday?
8. What do Colin and Hassan do first thing the morning after the fight and what does Lindsey say about the fight?
9. What conversation do Lindsey and Colin overhear when they arrive home?
10. Who is Katrina with in the cemetery and what does he do when Hassan and Colin make their presence known?
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of "An Abundance of Katherines", Colin grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. "An Abundance of Katherines" might be considered a slice of Colin's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that this story is a "bildungsroman" of Colin Singleton. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Colin as he changes from having little knowledge of himself or the world to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Colin?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Colin's growth throughout An Abundance of Katherines, do you think "An Abundance of Katherines" could be considered Colin's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "An Abundance of Katherines" who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "An Abundance of Katherines". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of self awareness in "An Abundance of Katherines". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess self awareness? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of letting go of the past in "An Abundance of Katherines". How does Colin finally realize he needs to look to the future? How does his struggle bring him to that point? What events propel him into the future? What other characters struggle with letting go of the past?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "An Abundance of Katherines".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "An Abundance of Katherines". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "An Abundance of Katherines". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 3,454 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)