|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the boys stop at a convenience store?
2. What does Colin's father say he, his mother and Katherine all have in common?
3. Why does Hollis recognize Colin?
4. What does Colin do as Hassan and Lindsey are playing?
5. What was the name of the tour guides first and only boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Colin doing at the opening of the novel and what is he upset about?
2. What are Colin and Hassan supposed to do that day and what do they accomplish?
3. What happens to Colin as they are following their tour guide behind the store and who helps him?
4. When did Colin meet Hassan and to what does Colin relate most of his thoughts?
5. What do Lindsey and Colin discuss before bedtime?
6. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground waiting for the tour guide to return?
7. What does Hassan do in order to be able to go back to the Hollis home earlier than they are supposed to?
8. How does Colin respond to what his father tells him when Colin gets out of the shower?
9. What is the notebook that Colin sketches in while waiting for the tour guide to return?
10. How does Colin keep himself awake while driving and why is that ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "An Abundance of Katherines" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "An Abundance of Katherines" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "An Abundance of Katherines" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Sometimes a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and sometimes it is the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "An Abundance of Katherines" is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)