|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many employees do Hassan and Colin interview at the plant that day?
2. When does the tour guide say she will return?
3. What does Hassan think is the answer to Colin's problems?
4. Where are Colin's parents when they are first mentioned?
5. To what status does Colin refer when speaking to Hassan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Colin's first date with Katherine IXI?
2. What are Colin and Hassan supposed to do that day and what do they accomplish?
3. What is the notebook that Colin sketches in while waiting for the tour guide to return?
4. What does Colin continue to work on and how is it going?
5. What has Colin figured out about the supposed Archduke's grave and what is Lindsey's response?
6. Describe the fight that starts by Hassan playing the confessions of Katrina and Colin that Hassan recorded.
7. What does Starnes say when Colin, Hassan and Linsey interview him?
8. How does Hollis explain Roy's actions with the bulldozer?
9. What is Colin doing at the opening of the novel and what is he upset about?
10. What happens in the interview with Ms. Mabel?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "An Abundance of Katherines". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of self awareness in "An Abundance of Katherines". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess self awareness? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of letting go of the past in "An Abundance of Katherines". How does Colin finally realize he needs to look to the future? How does his struggle bring him to that point? What events propel him into the future? What other characters struggle with letting go of the past?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "An Abundance of Katherines".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "An Abundance of Katherines". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "An Abundance of Katherines". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
As Colin listens to what Hassan is telling Lindsey, Colin realizes for the first time in his life that his life is a repeating circle. His road trip and working on the theorem are the first two things he is doing in his life that will break the circle. For the first time, Colin also realizes what the missing piece is that he feels inside; it's that he simply wants to matter. Colin also realizes that Lindsey is a symbol of irony because she seems like a tough person on the outside, but on the inside she is really a wimp.
1. Discuss the ways in which Colin's life is a repeating circle. Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone wants to matter to someone or to the world? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
3. What are some of the ways people use to matter to the world? Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
4. Discuss reasons someone like Lindsey might show a different face on the outside to what she is on the inside. Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
This section contains 3,509 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)