|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Colin and Lindsey discuss when she checks on Colin?
2. Where does the psychologist work that Colin's parents consult?
3. Whose grave do Colin and Hassan decide to stop at?
4. At what age does Colin start elementary school?
5. What happens as Colin is walking behind the convenience store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colin decide to do while waiting for dinner?
2. Whose grave is advertised when Colin and Hassan decide to exit off the interstate?
3. Where does the tour of the famous grave begin and who gives the tour?
4. What approach do Hassan and Colin use on Hassan's father to gain permission for the trip?
5. Why does Colin call his mother?
6. How does Colin keep himself awake while driving and why is that ironic?
7. Why does Hassan seem to think that Colin's problem is spiritual?
8. What does Hollis offer Hassan and Colin?
9. What do all of Colin's former girlfriends have in common besides having dated Colin?
10. What does Hollis say Colin and Hassan will do for their job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "An Abundance of Katherines"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "An Abundance of Katherines" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of John Green.
2. What in Green's background may have helped him in writing "An Abundance of Katherines"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
4. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
5. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Green's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Green's probable agenda concerning that idea.
6. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface? Why or why not?
7. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author? Explain your answer with examples.
Essay Topic 3
"An Abundance of Katherines" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)