|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the psychologist work that Colin's parents consult?
2. In what grade is Colin when he meets his first Katherine?
3. Whose grave do Colin and Hassan decide to stop at?
4. What does Lindsey convince Colin to let her do?
5. What is Hassan's response to what Colin tells him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is waiting for Colin when he gets out of the shower and what do they tell Colin?
2. What does Colin overhear Hassan and Lindsey talking about and what do the three young people do that evening?
3. What does Hollis offer Hassan and Colin?
4. What does Hollis say Colin and Hassan will do for their job?
5. What approach do Hassan and Colin use on Hassan's father to gain permission for the trip?
6. How does Colin respond to what his father tells him when Colin gets out of the shower?
7. What does Colin decide to do while waiting for dinner?
8. Why does Colin call his mother?
9. What does Starnes say when Colin, Hassan and Linsey interview him?
10. What happens when Colin talks to Katherine and what does he do as a result of the conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "An Abundance of Katherines" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Colin and Hassan. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lindsey and Hollis. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "An Abundance of Katherines" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "An Abundance of Katherines", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "An Abundance of Katherines". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)