|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin tell Hassan?
2. Who is Zeke?
3. In what area does Colin not excel at school?
4. What does Colin tell his parents when he calls them?
5. Why does Colin call his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hassan say he is not going to work that Thursday?
2. What has Colin figured out about the supposed Archduke's grave and what is Lindsey's response?
3. How does Hollis explain Roy's actions with the bulldozer?
4. What does Hollis offer Hassan and Colin?
5. What are Colin and Hassan supposed to do that day and what do they accomplish?
6. Who is Katrina with in the cemetery and what does he do when Hassan and Colin make their presence known?
7. What is Colin doing at the opening of the novel and what is he upset about?
8. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground waiting for the tour guide to return?
9. What do Colin and Hassan witness in the cemetery?
10. What happened when Colin's parents enroll him in a pre-school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ironically, Colin is a genius, but he is lacking in common sense. For example, he can read the story about the tortoise and the hare, but he does not see the underlying meaning of the story. In another twist of irony, Colin is a genius but he is not socially advanced, so when he starts school, the other kids do not like him, bully him and think he is strange.
1. Discuss reasons it might be ironic that Colin is so smart academically but has no common sense. Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways and events in "An Abundance of Katherines" that demonstrate Colin has few social skills. Use examples from your own life and this story to support your answer.
3. Do you think must geniuses are socially inept? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "An Abundance of Katherines" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
"An Abundance of Katherines" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 3,492 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)