|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lindsey convince Colin to let her do?
2. Why does Hollis recognize Colin?
3. How many employees do Hassan and Colin interview at the plant that day?
4. What does Colin do when he goes into his bathroom after talking to his father?
5. Whose grave do Colin and Hassan decide to stop at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do all of Colin's former girlfriends have in common besides having dated Colin?
2. What does Colin overhear Hassan and Lindsey talking about and what do the three young people do that evening?
3. What does Hollis say Colin and Hassan will do for their job?
4. What is the notebook that Colin sketches in while waiting for the tour guide to return?
5. What do Lindsey and Colin discuss before bedtime?
6. What is Colin doing at the opening of the novel and what is he upset about?
7. Where does Lindsey go after interviewing Starnes?
8. How does Colin keep himself awake while driving and why is that ironic?
9. What does Starnes say when Colin, Hassan and Linsey interview him?
10. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground waiting for the tour guide to return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "An Abundance of Katherines".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "An Abundance of Katherines". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "An Abundance of Katherines". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Colin and Hassan. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lindsey and Hollis. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "An Abundance of Katherines" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "An Abundance of Katherines" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)