|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Katherine?
2. What does Hollis invite the boys to do?
3. What does Hassan use to convince his parents of the reasonableness of his idea for Colin and him?
4. What does Lindsey convince Colin to let her do?
5. How many times has this same event occurred to Colin in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose grave is advertised when Colin and Hassan decide to exit off the interstate?
2. What do Lindsey and Colin discuss before bedtime?
3. What does Colin remember about himself when he was 25 months old?
4. Where does the tour of the famous grave begin and who gives the tour?
5. What happens to Colin as they are following their tour guide behind the store and who helps him?
6. What is the notebook that Colin sketches in while waiting for the tour guide to return?
7. Who is in the convenience store when Colin and Hassan return from the grave and what does the person say to Colin?
8. What does Colin overhear Hassan and Lindsey talking about and what do the three young people do that evening?
9. What does Hollis offer Hassan and Colin?
10. What was Colin's first date with Katherine IXI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "An Abundance of Katherines" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if this is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "An Abundance of Katherines" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
As Colin listens to what Hassan is telling Lindsey, Colin realizes for the first time in his life that his life is a repeating circle. His road trip and working on the theorem are the first two things he is doing in his life that will break the circle. For the first time, Colin also realizes what the missing piece is that he feels inside; it's that he simply wants to matter. Colin also realizes that Lindsey is a symbol of irony because she seems like a tough person on the outside, but on the inside she is really a wimp.
1. Discuss the ways in which Colin's life is a repeating circle. Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
2. Do you think everyone wants to matter to someone or to the world? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and the text to support your answer.
3. What are some of the ways people use to matter to the world? Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
4. Discuss reasons someone like Lindsey might show a different face on the outside to what she is on the inside. Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
"An Abundance of Katherines" belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)