|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin do when Hassan pulls off the road after they leave the factory?
2. What does Colin tell his parents when he calls them?
3. Where do Colin and Hassan go after talking to Colin's parents?
4. Who is going to be teaching at summer camp?
5. What does Colin remember about his third grade tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hassan seem to think that Colin's problem is spiritual?
2. How does Colin respond to what his father tells him when Colin gets out of the shower?
3. What does Starnes say when Colin, Hassan and Linsey interview him?
4. What was Colin's first date with Katherine IXI?
5. Where does the tour of the famous grave begin and who gives the tour?
6. What happened when Colin's parents enroll him in a pre-school?
7. Whose grave is advertised when Colin and Hassan decide to exit off the interstate?
8. What happens when Colin talks to Katherine and what does he do as a result of the conversation?
9. What are Colin and Hassan supposed to do that day and what do they accomplish?
10. What does Hassan propose to Colin's parents and what do they reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "An Abundance of Katherines" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "An Abundance of Katherines", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "An Abundance of Katherines". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "An Abundance of Katherines". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the symbols he does? Consider the symbolism of Colin's theorem, Colin's last name and the fact of him continuing to fall for girls with the name of Katherine.
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Green chooses the metaphors he does? What might the metaphor of books stand for or Colin's theorem?
3. Discuss Green's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Green use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)