|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long has Starnes lived in Gutshot?
2. What does Colin say is a result of his nearsightedness?
3. When does the latest Katherine break up with Colin?
4. What does Hassan do at the opening to Chapter 2?
5. What does the tour guide saying she is training to become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hassan and Colin do on their fifth day in Gutshot?
2. What is Hollis' long-plan for keeping the factory going and the town in operation?
3. What does Hassan do in order to be able to go back to the Hollis home earlier than they are supposed to?
4. Where does the tour of the famous grave begin and who gives the tour?
5. What was Colin's first date with Katherine IXI?
6. What conversation do Lindsey and Colin overhear when they arrive home?
7. What do all of Colin's former girlfriends have in common besides having dated Colin?
8. What does Hollis say Colin and Hassan will do for their job?
9. What does Colin continue to work on and how is it going?
10. What does Lindsey say she thinks she can fix for Colin?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "An Abundance of Katherines" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "An Abundance of Katherines"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "An Abundance of Katherines" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Ironically, Colin is a genius, but he is lacking in common sense. For example, he can read the story about the tortoise and the hare, but he does not see the underlying meaning of the story. In another twist of irony, Colin is a genius but he is not socially advanced, so when he starts school, the other kids do not like him, bully him and think he is strange.
1. Discuss reasons it might be ironic that Colin is so smart academically but has no common sense. Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
2. Discuss ways and events in "An Abundance of Katherines" that demonstrate Colin has few social skills. Use examples from your own life and this story to support your answer.
3. Do you think must geniuses are socially inept? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and "An Abundance of Katherines" to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "An Abundance of Katherines"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "An Abundance of Katherines" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "An Abundance of Katherines" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 3,404 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)