|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did Starnes retire?
(a) The sheriff's office.
(b) The factory in Gutshot.
(c) He was a self-employed farmer.
(d) He is a self-employed writer and still works.
2. What does Hassan do after waking?
(b) Calls his parents.
(c) Takes a run.
(d) Writes in his journal.
3. Where do Colin and Hassan decide to go after gaining permission from their parents?
(a) Washington, D. C.
(c) They do not know.
(d) The West Coast.
4. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
(a) That Colin could read the story but not grasp its underlying meaning.
(b) That Colin was akin to the tortoise in his studies.
(c) That it inspires Colin from an early age.
(d) That Colin was like the hare in that he was always in a hurry.
5. Why does Colin call his mother?
(a) To tell her that the car has a problem
(b) To tell her whose grave they visited.
(c) To ask her to wire more money.
(d) To report their location and learn if Katherine called.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground?
2. What do Colin and Katherine IXI do in her basement after the coffee shop?
3. In what grade is Colin when he meets his first Katherine?
4. What does Colin tell his parents when he calls them?
5. How is the person in the grave the boys visit portrayed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hassan propose to Colin's parents and what do they reply?
2. What happens to Colin as they are following their tour guide behind the store and who helps him?
3. What does Colin remember about himself when he was 25 months old?
4. Who is in the convenience store when Colin and Hassan return from the grave and what does the person say to Colin?
5. What does Hassan do in order to be able to go back to the Hollis home earlier than they are supposed to?
6. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground waiting for the tour guide to return?
7. What does Colin decide to do while waiting for dinner?
8. What happens when Colin talks to Katherine and what does he do as a result of the conversation?
9. What does Hollis offer Hassan and Colin?
10. What is Colin doing at the opening of the novel and what is he upset about?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)