|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lindsey convince Colin to let her do?
(a) Go with him to the movies.
(b) Hold his notebook for a few days.
(c) Talk to Katherine XII.
(d) Play him a song about lost love.
2. What does Colin do when he goes into his bathroom after talking to his father?
(b) Throws up.
(d) Cuts his arm.
3. What does Colin remember about his third grade tutor?
(a) The tutor was mean.
(b) The tutor barely whispered when she talked.
(c) Katherine I is the tutor's daughter.
(d) The tutor had a really long beard.
4. What does Hassan use to convince his parents of the reasonableness of his idea for Colin and him?
(a) That Colin and Hassan are too depressed to work that summer.
(b) That Colin and Hassan are in their last summer of childhood.
(c) That Colin and Hassan are going to find jobs.
(d) That jobs are non-existent, so Colin and Hassan should learn more about their country.
5. Who is Hassan?
(a) Colin's friend.
(b) The neighborhood brat.
(c) Colin's father's boss.
(d) Colin's boss.
6. What does Colin's father say he, his mother and Katherine all have in common?
(a) The idea that Colin should go away to college.
(b) The idea that Colin should change jobs.
(c) The belief that something better will happen for Colin.
(d) Worry about Colin.
7. What has just happened to Colin?
(a) He's just been dumped by his girlfriend.
(b) He was harassed by some bullies.
(c) His teacher just woke him by slamming a book on his desk.
(d) He was just scared by a large shark.
8. When does the tour guide say she will return?
(a) In a half an hour.
(b) She does not plan to return.
(c) In 8 minutes.
9. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
(a) That Colin was like the hare in that he was always in a hurry.
(b) That Colin could read the story but not grasp its underlying meaning.
(c) That it inspires Colin from an early age.
(d) That Colin was akin to the tortoise in his studies.
10. What will Colin and Hassan do in their job that summer?
(a) Keeping the baling machines working.
(b) Running the machines in the factory.
(c) Cutting fibers.
11. What town does Hollis want to research its history?
12. How old was Colin when he started reading on his own?
(a) 16 months.
(b) 25 months.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 3 years.
13. What do Hassan and Lindsey decide to play?
(c) A video game.
(d) A trivia game.
14. What are Hassan and Lindsey doing when Colin joins them?
(a) Creating a work schedule.
(b) Giving the dog a bath.
(c) Watching poker on t.v.
(d) Playing dominoes.
15. What is significant about the person whose grave they visit?
(a) His death precipitated WWI.
(b) He is one of Colin's favorite authors.
(c) She is an example of someone with great faith.
(d) She was killed on the same street as Hassan's second cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground?
2. Who is Hollis?
3. What does the tour guide saying she is training to become?
4. What story does the convenience clerk tell Hassan and Colin?
5. How is the person in the grave the boys visit portrayed?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)