|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hassan and Lindsey decide to play?
(a) A video game.
(d) A trivia game.
2. Why does the tour guide take off her tee shirt?
(a) To apply pressure to Colin's wound.
(b) To shake out a wasp that had crawled inside.
(c) To get a tan.
(d) It is so hot outside.
3. What does Hassan do after waking?
(a) Takes a run.
(b) Writes in his journal.
(c) Calls his parents.
4. What is Hassan's response to what Colin tells him?
(a) That it was a lousy job anyway.
(b) That the mouse was already dead.
(c) That Colin can move in with him.
(d) To snap out of it.
5. To what status does Colin refer when speaking to Hassan?
(a) Colin's status as an only child.
(b) Colin's status as a track star.
(c) Colin's status as a prodigy.
(d) Colin's status as the nineteenth Colin in his family.
6. What does Colin hear as he wakes the next morning?
(a) A horse neighing.
(b) A cow mooing.
(c) A peacock yelling.
(d) A rooster crowing.
7. Who is Hollis?
(a) Another tourist visiting the gravesite.
(b) Another clerk in the convenience store.
(c) The store clerk's mother.
(d) A hitchhiker Colin and Hassan pick up.
8. How much pay could Colin and Hollis earn at the factory?
(a) 300 a week plus room and board.
(b) 500 a week plus room and board.
(c) 500 a month plus room and board.
(d) 200 a week plus room and board.
9. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground?
(a) Working in a convenience store.
(b) Meeting his first Katherine.
(c) Becoming a tour guide.
(d) The night of graduation.
10. What does Colin remember about his third grade tutor?
(a) Katherine I is the tutor's daughter.
(b) The tutor was mean.
(c) The tutor had a really long beard.
(d) The tutor barely whispered when she talked.
11. Why does Hassan say his proposal is necessary?
(a) So Colin can learn to take responsibility for himself.
(b) Because geniuses tend to overwork.
(c) To get Colin out of his depression.
(d) To break Colin out of his negative pattern with girls.
12. What does Hassan think is the answer to Colin's problems?
(a) A girlfriend with another name.
(b) A belief in God.
(c) A more varied workout.
(d) A unique invention.
13. What is significant about the person whose grave they visit?
(a) She is an example of someone with great faith.
(b) She was killed on the same street as Hassan's second cousin.
(c) His death precipitated WWI.
(d) He is one of Colin's favorite authors.
14. What does Hassan use to convince his parents of the reasonableness of his idea for Colin and him?
(a) That Colin and Hassan are in their last summer of childhood.
(b) That jobs are non-existent, so Colin and Hassan should learn more about their country.
(c) That Colin and Hassan are too depressed to work that summer.
(d) That Colin and Hassan are going to find jobs.
15. How long does Colin spend alone in his room?
(a) 14 hours.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 28 hours.
(d) 2 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Katherine?
2. What has just happened to Colin?
3. Why do the boys stop at a convenience store?
4. What does Colin do when Hassan pulls off the road after they leave the factory?
5. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)