|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town does Hollis want to research its history?
2. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
(a) That Colin was akin to the tortoise in his studies.
(b) That Colin was like the hare in that he was always in a hurry.
(c) That it inspires Colin from an early age.
(d) That Colin could read the story but not grasp its underlying meaning.
3. What does Colin seem to notice in almost everything around him?
(b) Symbols of Katherine the XIX.
(c) Deep philosophical meanings.
4. How long does Colin spend alone in his room?
(a) 28 hours.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 14 hours.
5. What does Lindsey convince Colin to let her do?
(a) Talk to Katherine XII.
(b) Play him a song about lost love.
(c) Go with him to the movies.
(d) Hold his notebook for a few days.
6. What does Colin hear as he wakes the next morning?
(a) A horse neighing.
(b) A cow mooing.
(c) A rooster crowing.
(d) A peacock yelling.
7. Who is Hassan?
(a) Colin's father's boss.
(b) The neighborhood brat.
(c) Colin's friend.
(d) Colin's boss.
8. Why does Colin call his mother?
(a) To tell her that the car has a problem
(b) To tell her whose grave they visited.
(c) To ask her to wire more money.
(d) To report their location and learn if Katherine called.
9. What story does the convenience clerk tell Hassan and Colin?
(a) About the Archduke's death.
(b) About her paramedic training.
(c) About her grandmother who was a medium.
(d) About her mechanic's course at the tech school.
10. What does the tour guide saying she is training to become?
(a) A car mechanic.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A beautician.
(d) A paramedic.
11. Where are Colin's parents when they are first mentioned?
(a) Swimming in the ocean also.
(b) Looking at the pictures of Colin ex-girlfriends on his wall.
(c) Sitting on his bed.
(d) Down in the basement fighting about Colin.
12. What does Colin do for the first time since he and Katherine XIX broke up?
(a) Refuses to answer a call from Katherine.
(c) Shrugs his shoulders and appears less attached.
(d) Starts thinking about his next girlfriend.
13. What does Colin remember about his third grade tutor?
(a) The tutor had a really long beard.
(b) The tutor barely whispered when she talked.
(c) The tutor was mean.
(d) Katherine I is the tutor's daughter.
14. In what State do Colin and Hassan stop for their first rest?
(d) West Virginia.
15. Why does Colin believe he is past the prime of his life?
(a) Because he cannot imagine meeting a 20th Katherine.
(b) Because prodigies generally peak at 12 or 13 years.
(c) Because he finds a gray hair in his head.
(d) Because he lost a debate to a kid who is younger than he.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin do as he is waiting on the ground behind the convenience store?
2. What does Colin do as Hassan and Lindsey are playing?
3. Why do the boys stop at a convenience store?
4. In what grade is Colin when he meets his first Katherine?
5. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)