|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Colin think about as he is lying on the ground?
(a) Working in a convenience store.
(b) The night of graduation.
(c) Becoming a tour guide.
(d) Meeting his first Katherine.
2. What does the factory manufacture that is owned by Hollis' family?
(a) Bungee cords.
(b) Climbing ropes.
(c) Tarpon nets.
(d) Tampon strings.
3. What does Colin's father say he, his mother and Katherine all have in common?
(a) Worry about Colin.
(b) The belief that something better will happen for Colin.
(c) The idea that Colin should change jobs.
(d) The idea that Colin should go away to college.
4. Where are Colin's parents when they are first mentioned?
(a) Swimming in the ocean also.
(b) Down in the basement fighting about Colin.
(c) Looking at the pictures of Colin ex-girlfriends on his wall.
(d) Sitting on his bed.
5. Where do Colin and Hassan decide to go after gaining permission from their parents?
(a) The West Coast.
(b) Washington, D. C.
(d) They do not know.
6. What does Colin's father say about Colin's last girlfriend?
(a) She is not worth grieving over.
(b) She is at the front door.
(c) She called Colin's father's cell phone.
(d) They met her at the hot dog stand.
7. Why does Hollis recognize Colin?
(a) She does not recognize Colin.
(b) From a book Colin wrote.
(c) From a video game Colin wrote.
(d) From a game show.
8. What does Colin do when Hassan pulls off the road after they leave the factory?
(a) Gathers a bunch of daisies.
(b) Meditates in a field of daisies.
(c) Writes a short poem.
(d) Calls Katherine the XIX.
9. When does Colin first meet Hassan?
(a) 7th grade.
(b) 3rd grade.
(c) 9th grade.
(d) 10th grade.
10. For how long has Starnes lived in Gutshot?
(a) Since he was forty-one.
(b) His whole life.
(c) A few years.
(d) A few months.
11. How many times has this same event occurred to Colin in the past?
12. What do Colin and Katherine IXI do in her basement after the coffee shop?
(a) Play a video game.
(b) Watch a movie about prodigies.
(c) Play air hockey.
(d) Watch a documetary about whales.
13. What is significant about the person whose grave they visit?
(a) She was killed on the same street as Hassan's second cousin.
(b) He is one of Colin's favorite authors.
(c) She is an example of someone with great faith.
(d) His death precipitated WWI.
14. Who is Hollis?
(a) The store clerk's mother.
(b) Another clerk in the convenience store.
(c) A hitchhiker Colin and Hassan pick up.
(d) Another tourist visiting the gravesite.
15. What has just happened to Colin?
(a) He was harassed by some bullies.
(b) He was just scared by a large shark.
(c) His teacher just woke him by slamming a book on his desk.
(d) He's just been dumped by his girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin tell Hassan?
2. Why does the tour guide take off her tee shirt?
3. What will Colin and Hassan do in their job that summer?
4. What does Hassan do at the opening to Chapter 2?
5. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)