|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Colin Singleton doing at the opening of the novel?
(a) Taking a bath.
(b) Wandering in the city park.
(c) Sitting in a classroom.
(d) Swimming in the ocean.
2. To what status does Colin refer when speaking to Hassan?
(a) Colin's status as a prodigy.
(b) Colin's status as the nineteenth Colin in his family.
(c) Colin's status as an only child.
(d) Colin's status as a track star.
3. What was the name of the tour guides first and only boyfriend?
(b) She has never had a boyfriend.
4. What will Colin and Hassan do in their job that summer?
(a) Running the machines in the factory.
(b) Keeping the baling machines working.
(d) Cutting fibers.
5. Whose grave do Colin and Hassan decide to stop at?
(a) Flannery O'Connor.
(c) Margaret Mitchell.
(d) Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
6. What does the tour guide saying she is training to become?
(a) A beautician.
(b) A paramedic.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A car mechanic.
7. What does Colin remember about his third grade tutor?
(a) The tutor had a really long beard.
(b) The tutor barely whispered when she talked.
(c) The tutor was mean.
(d) Katherine I is the tutor's daughter.
8. What theorem is Colin developing?
(a) The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability.
(b) The Theorem of the Multi-colored Ducks.
(c) The Theorem of Now.
(d) The Theorem of Latitude Probability.
9. How is the person in the grave the boys visit portrayed?
(a) As compassionate.
(b) As nerdy.
(c) As brilliant.
(d) As genius falling short.
10. What does Hassan use to convince his parents of the reasonableness of his idea for Colin and him?
(a) That jobs are non-existent, so Colin and Hassan should learn more about their country.
(b) That Colin and Hassan are too depressed to work that summer.
(c) That Colin and Hassan are in their last summer of childhood.
(d) That Colin and Hassan are going to find jobs.
11. What does Hassan do at the opening to Chapter 2?
(a) Calls Colin on his cell phone.
(b) Puts a mouse in Colin's family's mailbox.
(c) Comes into Colin's room.
(d) Smashes some flowers near the curb with his car.
12. What has just happened to Colin?
(a) His teacher just woke him by slamming a book on his desk.
(b) He was just scared by a large shark.
(c) He's just been dumped by his girlfriend.
(d) He was harassed by some bullies.
13. What does Hassan think is the answer to Colin's problems?
(a) A girlfriend with another name.
(b) A unique invention.
(c) A belief in God.
(d) A more varied workout.
14. What does the narrator say about the fable, "The Tortoise and the Hare"?
(a) That Colin was like the hare in that he was always in a hurry.
(b) That Colin was akin to the tortoise in his studies.
(c) That it inspires Colin from an early age.
(d) That Colin could read the story but not grasp its underlying meaning.
15. Who is Katherine?
(a) Colin's mother.
(b) Colin's older sister.
(c) Colin's favorite aunt.
(d) The name of all of Colin's ex-girlfriends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colin say genius is?
2. What story does the convenience clerk tell Hassan and Colin?
3. What does Hassan do after waking?
4. When does the tour guide say she will return?
5. How much pay could Colin and Hollis earn at the factory?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)