|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Colin call his mother?
(a) To tell her that the car has a problem
(b) To ask her to wire more money.
(c) To report their location and learn if Katherine called.
(d) To tell her whose grave they visited.
2. What does Hollis want Hassan and Colin to do the next day?
(a) Take the dog for a run.
(b) Fix one of the machines in the string factory.
(c) Groom the horses.
(d) Interview people and ask only four questions.
3. Who is working at the convenience store when Colin and Hassan drop off Lindsey there?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her boyfriend.
(c) No one; it's been closed.
(d) Her sister.
4. Where are Colin's parents when they are first mentioned?
(a) Sitting on his bed.
(b) Looking at the pictures of Colin ex-girlfriends on his wall.
(c) Down in the basement fighting about Colin.
(d) Swimming in the ocean also.
5. What does Hassan think is the answer to Colin's problems?
(a) A unique invention.
(b) A girlfriend with another name.
(c) A more varied workout.
(d) A belief in God.
6. At what age does Colin start elementary school?
(a) He is home schooled.
(b) A year ahead of other kids his age.
(c) Two years ahead of other kids his age.
(d) A year later than other kids his age.
7. What does Colin's pre-school tell his parents?
(a) That Colin is emotionally challenged.
(b) That Colin is a great asset to the school.
(c) That Colin needs to tone down his behavior.
(d) That they were not equipped to work with geniuses.
8. What does Colin tell his parents when he calls them?
(a) The truth about what he's doing.
(b) That he and Hassan are still wandering.
(c) He decides not to call them.
(d) That he is visiting some colleges.
9. What is significant about the person whose grave they visit?
(a) She was killed on the same street as Hassan's second cousin.
(b) He is one of Colin's favorite authors.
(c) His death precipitated WWI.
(d) She is an example of someone with great faith.
10. What does Colin read over and over while alone in his room?
(a) A few poems he wrote for his last girlfriend.
(b) His yearbook.
(c) A poem his last girlfriend wrote for him.
11. What does the tour guide see written in Colin's notebook?
(b) A picture of Katherine I.
(c) A poem written in German.
(d) The words "Ipso facto."
12. How is the person in the grave the boys visit portrayed?
(a) As brilliant.
(b) As compassionate.
(c) As genius falling short.
(d) As nerdy.
13. For how long has Starnes lived in Gutshot?
(a) His whole life.
(b) A few years.
(c) A few months.
(d) Since he was forty-one.
14. What town does Hollis want to research its history?
15. Who is Katherine?
(a) Colin's favorite aunt.
(b) The name of all of Colin's ex-girlfriends.
(c) Colin's mother.
(d) Colin's older sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zeke?
2. What does Colin remember about his third grade tutor?
3. What does Hassan do in order to go back to Hollis' house early?
4. Who is Hassan?
5. What does Hollis offer Colin and Hassan?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)