|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Amos ask to write on his headstone after his death?
2. How does Amos feel when Violet say she has hidden the saved money?
3. What kind of house does Amos build for himself in Jaffrey?
4. What does Violet's daughter learn about while Amos works during the first summer in Jaffrey?
5. How old is Amos when Violet hides his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Amos find land to use when he first gets to Jaffrey?
2. What does Violet say to Amos to validate her actions with the money?
3. What does Amos spend his weekdays doing during his first summer in Jaffrey?
4. What does Amos tell Violet when Violet says that Polly had been born free?
5. What does Amos do when he hears what the town is planning after refusing to support the Burdoos any longer?
6. Who first greets Amos when he gets to Jaffrey, and what is said?
7. What does Amos do when he hears that his wife had hidden his money?
8. What does Amos tell Violet the morning after she hides his money?
9. What important papers does Amos always carry with him?
10. Where does Amos plan to find his sister when he gets older?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily and Lydia are very similar people, and yet they have some notable and important differences. Using the text as support, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)