|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Amos leave to his church when he dies?
2. For what does Amos use his saved money?
3. What does Amos say is the same as imprisonment?
4. Why is Amos allowed to sit only in a certain place when he goes to church in Jaffrey?
5. What fills up Amos's house when it is first built in Jaffrey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Violet and Ceylinda do after Polly's death?
2. What does Amos say to calm the worries of the person who greets him and his family when they get to Jaffrey?
3. What does Amos do when he hears what the town is planning after refusing to support the Burdoos any longer?
4. What does Amos tell Violet the morning after she hides his money?
5. What happens when Amos gets to his land when he first moves to Jaffrey?
6. Where does Amos plan to find his sister when he gets older?
7. What does Amos say to Violet when he gets back from his time on the mountain?
8. What does the town do after refusing to support the Burdoos any longer?
9. What does Lois Burdoo say to Amos in church one day that deeply touches him?
10. What does Amos leave to Violet in his will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom is a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How is this theme presented, and how does its place in this plot affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)