|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is put up on auction when the Burdoos are no longer supported by the city?
2. Where does Ceylinda sell the things she makes to make money?
3. What does Violet's daughter have a hard time with when she first moves to Jaffrey?
4. What does Amos see in the thing that wakes him while he is away from his house after he hears Violet has hidden his saved money?
5. What does Amos say is the same as imprisonment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that causes Amos to go home and write his will?
2. What does Amos tell Violet when Violet says that Polly had been born free?
3. What does Polly do when she comes to live with Amos and Violet?
4. How long does Amos save money before moving to Jaffrey, and why?
5. What do Violet and Ceylinda do after Polly's death?
6. What does Ceylinda do while Amos and Violet work during the first summer in Jaffrey?
7. How does Amos spend his first summer in Jaffrey?
8. What does Amos say to Violet when he gets back from his time on the mountain?
9. Why does Amos feel he should listen to Violet's advice about not giving his money to Lois?
10. What does the town do after refusing to support the Burdoos any longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
Essay Topic 2
Fear, a common theme in this book, is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom is a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How is this theme presented, and how does its place in this plot affect the main characters?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)