|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amos take in exchange for the half of a payment he returns?
2. In what season does this book begin?
3. Why does At-mun stay awake during the entire journey to the ocean?
4. What is the name of Amos's third wife's youngest daughter?
5. In what year does Amos marry his third wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Richardson do when her husband dies?
2. What does At-mun do to give himself strength on the river journey, and what does this help him decide to do?
3. What happens when the slave ship reaches the beach to pick up the slavers and the captives?
4. How are the slaves housed while on the beach?
5. What happens when Amos first speaks with the cobbler in Keene?
6. How does Mrs. Copeland respond when her husband brings home a slave boy?
7. How much does Amos pay for his second wife, and why does he agree to this?
8. What is Richardson's plan to free Amos and how is this plan received?
9. How does Amos feel about Keene as he is traveling through it one day?
10. Where does Amos get his horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair occurs in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Elizabeth Yates have chosen these particular places for this event to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author feels it is so important?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)