|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the king's daughter?
2. What is the name of Amos's third wife's youngest daughter?
3. In what part of Africa does this book begin?
4. What does Amos take in exchange for the half of a payment he returns?
5. What does At-mun repeat to himself over and over while on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the stableman treat Amos in his way through Keene?
2. How are the slaves housed while on the beach?
3. What happens when the slave ship reaches the beach to pick up the slavers and the captives?
4. What is Richardson's plan to free Amos and how is this plan received?
5. How does Mrs. Copeland feel about the slave boy her husband has brought home?
6. What is the one thing Amos asks of the Richardsons when he is first purchased by them, and what is their response?
7. What does At-mun do when the big commotion occurs at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Amos do with the money he earns from the Copelands and why?
9. How does Mrs. Copeland respond when her husband brings home a slave boy?
10. What happens to Amos when Mr. Copeland died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom is a crucial theme and symbol in this book. How is this theme presented, and how does its place in this plot affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)