|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person killed by the slavers at the beginning of the book?
2. What does the king's son say to the person he tries to protect as he is dragged away?
3. What does Amos learn from Mr. Richardson?
4. What is different about the third woman that Amos loves than his other wives?
5. What does Amos ask of his new owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what is the African tribe preparing at the beginning of the book?
2. How does Mrs. Copeland respond when her husband brings home a slave boy?
3. What happens when Amos first speaks with the cobbler in Keene?
4. What does At-mun say as he is being led away?
5. What does Mr. Copeland offer Amos that he refuses, and why does he refuse the offer?
6. What happens that causes Amos to realize he would never find his sister?
7. What happens to Amos when Mr. Copeland died?
8. What happens when the slave ship reaches the beach to pick up the slavers and the captives?
9. Describe the third woman that Amos falls in love with.
10. What does At-mun do while the other captives are sleeping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear, a common theme in this book, is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)