|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person killed by the slavers at the beginning of the book?
2. How long does Amos stay with the Richardsons?
3. In what part of Africa does this book begin?
4. What is the name of the king's daughter?
5. What is Mr. Richardson's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the stableman treat Amos in his way through Keene?
2. What does Mrs. Richardson do when her husband dies?
3. What happens to Amos when Mr. Copeland died?
4. What happens that causes Amos to realize he would never find his sister?
5. What does At-mun do while the other captives are sleeping?
6. How are the slaves housed while on the beach?
7. What happens when Amos first speaks with the cobbler in Keene?
8. How does Mrs. Copeland feel about the slave boy her husband has brought home?
9. What do the Copelands teach the slave boy while he stays with them?
10. How are the slaves fed when they are on the beach, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All the characters in this book have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book. Explain how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Despair occurs in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)