|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the paper that declares Amos's freedom?
(a) The freedom letter.
(b) The declaration of emancipation.
(c) The code of citizenship.
(d) The manumission.
2. Where does Amos leave most of his money when he dies?
(b) The school.
(c) The court.
(d) The church.
3. What does Amos realize when a man refuses to pay him his due in the last chapter?
(a) He could not promise respect.
(b) He could not force love on others.
(c) He could not let hate affect him.
(d) He could not expect total freedom.
4. Who helps Amos build his home in Jaffrey?
(b) The parson.
(c) The constable.
(d) The cobbler.
5. Who is put up on auction when the Burdoos are no longer supported by the city?
(a) Mr. Burdoo.
(c) Two of the Burdoo children.
(d) Lois's slaves.
6. How long is Lois supported by the town?
(a) 18 months.
(b) Many years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 years.
7. For what does Amos use his saved money?
(a) Updating his tannery.
(b) Buying clothes for Lois.
(c) Buying a farm for himself.
(d) Apprenticing two Burdoo boys.
8. Why does Amos save before moving to Jaffrey?
(a) He knows it will take time to settle in.
(b) He knows his wife will need him.
(c) He wants to be prepared for emergencies.
(d) He knows he can't charge much as a new tanner.
9. What does Amos do every Sunday in Jaffrey?
(a) Read from his Bible.
(b) Go for a nature walk.
(d) Attend church.
10. What from this book can still be seen in Jaffrey?
(a) Amos's tannery.
(b) The church.
(c) The school.
(d) Amos's headstone.
11. What does Violet tell Amos she would not do when he comes back?
(a) Argue with her husband and leader.
(b) Keep him from doing what he feels is right.
(c) Stand between him and his money.
(d) Disrespect his authority.
12. What does Violet's daughter like to do in Jaffrey while Amos works during the summer?
(a) Watch Amos work.
(b) Walk along the river.
(c) Pick berries.
13. How much money does Amos leave to his church when he dies?
14. Who does Amos talk to when he leaves his house after hearing that Violet hid his saved money?
(a) Lois Burdoo.
(c) His father's spirit.
(d) The parson.
15. Who helps Amos build his house on his new farm?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) The cobbler.
(c) The pastor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Amos so interested in helping Lois?
2. What does Amos and his family not have much of on their journey to Jaffrey?
3. What does Amos say a man needs in order to be free?
4. In what season does Amos build his new tannery?
5. Who is Amos sent to talk to after he is greeted in Jaffrey?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)