|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet's daughter learn about while Amos works during the first summer in Jaffrey?
(c) Her freedom.
2. How long is Lois supported by the town?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 18 months.
(d) Many years.
3. Where does Ceylinda sell the things she makes to make money?
(a) The church.
(b) Amos's tannery.
(c) The market.
(d) Her school.
4. Who does Amos hire to help him in his business?
(a) Three homeless men.
(b) Some slave boys.
(c) The pastor's sons.
(d) Two of Lois's children.
5. What does Amos see in the thing that wakes him while he is away from his house after he hears Violet has hidden his saved money?
(a) His future.
(b) A sign from God.
(c) An omen of danger.
(d) Violet's logic.
6. What is Amos charged to use the land when he first gets to Jaffrey?
(a) 10% of his earnings.
(b) $100 a year.
(c) $10 a month.
7. What does the city force Lois to do when they refuse to continue supporting her?
(a) Move away.
(b) Put her oldest children on vendue.
(c) Work for her living.
(d) Pay her debts.
8. How much does Amos bid on the person at the indigent auction?
(a) Five dollars and sixty-two cents.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Ten pounds.
(d) One pound sixteen.
9. Who helps Amos build his home in Jaffrey?
(a) The cobbler.
(b) The constable.
(c) The parson.
10. Where does Violet bury Amos's money?
(a) In her bed.
(b) In the woods.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In the fireplace.
11. What from this book can still be seen in Jaffrey?
(a) The school.
(b) Amos's tannery.
(c) Amos's headstone.
(d) The church.
12. Who does Amos take on as an apprentice?
(a) The son of the doctor.
(b) The son of the cobbler.
(c) The son of the teacher.
(d) The son of the parson.
13. What work does Violet do from home?
14. Why does Amos save before moving to Jaffrey?
(a) He knows it will take time to settle in.
(b) He knows his wife will need him.
(c) He knows he can't charge much as a new tanner.
(d) He wants to be prepared for emergencies.
15. What does the person greeting Amos in Jaffrey say his sole responsibility is?
(a) To save the town money.
(b) To welcome the new people.
(c) To protect the citizens of Jaffrey.
(d) To interrogate newcomers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation does Amos intend to pursue in Jaffrey?
2. For what does Amos thank God when Lois's daughter dies?
3. How does Amos describe his journey to Jaffrey with his family?
4. What is the name of the paper that declares Amos's freedom?
5. What dies Amos say that impresses the person that greets him when he gets to Jaffrey?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)