|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amos say is the same as imprisonment?
2. What does Violet's daughter have a hard time with when she first moves to Jaffrey?
(a) Her lack of friends.
(b) Her freedom.
(c) Her new father.
(d) Her schooling.
3. What does Violet tell Amos she would not do when he comes back?
(a) Stand between him and his money.
(b) Disrespect his authority.
(c) Argue with her husband and leader.
(d) Keep him from doing what he feels is right.
4. What does Amos say he is proud of Violet for when he comes back to his house?
(a) Expressing herself.
(b) Using her freedom.
(c) Looking to the future.
5. Who does Amos bid on at the auction for the indigents?
6. What kind of house does Amos build for himself in Jaffrey?
(c) Mud house.
(d) Wood slatted.
7. With whom does Violet's daughter like to do things in Jaffrey while Amos works during the summer?
(b) The animals.
(c) The local children.
8. What from this book can still be seen in Jaffrey?
(a) Amos's headstone.
(b) The church.
(c) The school.
(d) Amos's tannery.
9. What about Ceylinda's school makes her unhappy for a little bit?
(a) The school work.
(b) Discriminatory comments.
(c) The time inside.
(d) Being away from her mother.
10. How long does Amos stay away from his house when he finds out Violet has hidden his saved money?
(a) All day.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) All night.
11. Who does Amos ask to write on his headstone after his death?
(c) The parson.
12. How old is Amos when Violet hides his money?
13. What causes the thing that wakes Amos while he is away from his house after he hears Violet has hidden his saved money?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) A meteor shower.
(c) Opposing winds.
(d) A dream.
14. What does Amos ask of the man he visits after he is shortchanged by a rude man at the end of the book?
(a) Let him speak in church.
(b) Sell him some land.
(c) Sing a hymn with him.
(d) Write his will.
15. What does Amos want the church to buy with the money he leaves it?
(a) A donation box.
(b) A bell.
(c) A silver communion service.
(d) A new bench for the blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important papers does Amos keep for his apprentice?
2. Where does Violet bury Amos's money?
3. What does the city force Lois to do when they refuse to continue supporting her?
4. Who teaches Ceylinda to make the things she sells to make money?
5. How many women does Amos free from slavery before he dies?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)