|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maggie fill her time since she no longer has household chores to do?
2. On what occasion does Mark visit Great Meadow?
3. After taking their final exams, where do Mona and Sheila leave to?
4. What is the relationship between Maggie and Mark O'Donoghue?
5. Who stood in for Moran during Maggie's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
2. Why does Moran make the entire family join him in the ritual of the Rosary?
3. What is it about Moran that seems to regulate the mood in the house?
4. Why do the children appreciate Rose as a new addition to the family?
5. What begins to happen to Moran physically after Maggie brings home her newborn son?
6. Why is Moran threatened by Rose?
7. When do Luke and Moran finally reconnect?
8. Why is Moran out of sorts the morning after he fights with Rose?
9. In Section 5, what fills the house with joy?
10. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used throughout the novel. The Rosary in particular was a recurring symbol. Define symbolism and give three different examples of what the Rosary may have symbolized. Support each example with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Moran from the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he change? If so, is it a positive change or a negative one and why? If you don't believe he changed; explain whether or not you think he needed to. Use examples from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Amongst Women focuses heavily on a few male characters, but it is their interactions with women that make for the most interesting parts of the novel. The female characters evolve quite a bit throughout the novel. Discuss the change the female characters go through. Describe their role at the beginning and compare it to their role at the end. How is it different? Why did it change?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)