|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many positions does Maggie get accepted to?
2. What does Michael do when Moran lunges at him?
3. What does Nell Morahan do for a living?
4. What does Mark O'Donoghue do for work in London?
5. Why does young Michael cry during the ritual of the Rosary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark do that Moran finds ludicrous?
2. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
3. Why is Maggie so confident when she leaves for London?
4. Why is Moran out of sorts the morning after he fights with Rose?
5. What begins to happen to Moran physically after Maggie brings home her newborn son?
6. What shocks the girls at the St. Stephens Day dance?
7. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
8. Why does Moran make the entire family join him in the ritual of the Rosary?
9. What subject infuriates Moran and sparks a fight between he and Rose?
10. Why do the children appreciate Rose as a new addition to the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of the novel. Do you think Moran needed to die for the women to feel free? Why or why not. Support your answer with examples and quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used throughout the novel. The Rosary in particular was a recurring symbol. Define symbolism and give three different examples of what the Rosary may have symbolized. Support each example with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Rising action is the events that lead up to the climax.
1. Identify the rising action of the novel.
2. Explain why this is the rising action.
3. Discuss why the rising action is an important element in story telling.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)