|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rose visits her family to swap what?
2. Who calls Moran from the school to inquire about Michael?
3. Where do Nell and Michael make love?
4. When Michael doesn't show up for the Rosary, where do Moran and Rose assume he is?
5. Where does Rose advocate Maggie to go to train as a nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
2. In Section 5, what fills the house with joy?
3. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
4. What does Mark do that Moran finds ludicrous?
5. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
6. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
7. What subject infuriates Moran and sparks a fight between he and Rose?
8. What begins to happen to Moran physically after Maggie brings home her newborn son?
9. Why is Maggie so confident when she leaves for London?
10. Why does Moran make the entire family join him in the ritual of the Rosary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rising action is the events that lead up to the climax.
1. Identify the rising action of the novel.
2. Explain why this is the rising action.
3. Discuss why the rising action is an important element in story telling.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of Amongst Women plays a big role in the story itself. Describe the setting, both historically and geographically, and explain why it is so important to the novel and the development of the characters. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of gender roles as portrayed in the novel.
1. Do you think this novel is portrays women in a positive light? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that the men in the novel show respect to the women in their lives? If so, how? If not, why do you think they disrespect women? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)