|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the midst of his conflict with Michael, what can be considered Moran's anchor?
2. What does Maggie report that Luke is doing in London?
3. What does Moran want to do when Michael returns?
4. When is the only time that Moran is seemingly happy?
5. How does Maggie fill her time since she no longer has household chores to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rising action is the events that lead up to the climax.
1. Identify the rising action of the novel.
2. Explain why this is the rising action.
3. Discuss why the rising action is an important element in story telling.
Essay Topic 2
Much of this novel takes place in the past through the use of flashbacks. Why do you think the author worked backwards in such a way rather than chronologically? Do you think these flashbacks helped in the development in the characters and if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Hubris plays a major role in the a few of the characters in the novel. Explore the role of hubris in novel and explain whether or not you think it had a positive or negative affect (or both) on the characters. Be sure to not only define hubris but explain how it affected the characters.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)