|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stood in for Moran during Maggie's wedding?
2. What does Maggie report that Luke is doing in London?
3. Where does Moran begin spending much more time after Mark and Maggie's visit?
4. Who helps Maggie apply for positions as a nurse?
5. What does young Michael get when Rose and Moran begin sharing a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mark do that Moran finds ludicrous?
2. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
3. In Section 5, what fills the house with joy?
4. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
5. How does the family respond to Maggie's fiance, Mark O'Donaghue?
6. Why is Moran out of sorts the morning after he fights with Rose?
7. As time goes on, what becomes the most important thing in Moran's life?
8. What subject infuriates Moran and sparks a fight between he and Rose?
9. How is Maggie's life changed by Rose becoming part of the family?
10. Why is Moran threatened by Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of Amongst Women plays a big role in the story itself. Describe the setting, both historically and geographically, and explain why it is so important to the novel and the development of the characters. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The idea that Moran is a tragic hero can be debated.
1. Define a tragic hero.
2. Argue that Moran is or isn't a tragic hero, based on his character, personality, actions, and dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of the novel. Do you think Moran needed to die for the women to feel free? Why or why not. Support your answer with examples and quotes from the novel.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)