|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Moran and Rose every other weekend?
2. That winter what announcement does Sheila make?
3. What type of jobs were both Mona and Sheila offered?
4. What does Moran spread across the fields?
5. What event do the three girls and Michael attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Moran physically after Maggie brings home her newborn son?
2. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
3. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
4. Why is Moran out of sorts the morning after he fights with Rose?
5. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
6. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
7. Why is Moran threatened by Rose?
8. What shocks the girls at the St. Stephens Day dance?
9. Why do the children appreciate Rose as a new addition to the family?
10. How is Michael jeopardizing his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amongst Women focuses heavily on a few male characters, but it is their interactions with women that make for the most interesting parts of the novel. The female characters evolve quite a bit throughout the novel. Discuss the change the female characters go through. Describe their role at the beginning and compare it to their role at the end. How is it different? Why did it change?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Moran from the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he change? If so, is it a positive change or a negative one and why? If you don't believe he changed; explain whether or not you think he needed to. Use examples from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of gender roles as portrayed in the novel.
1. Do you think this novel is portrays women in a positive light? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that the men in the novel show respect to the women in their lives? If so, how? If not, why do you think they disrespect women? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)