|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the only time that Moran is seemingly happy?
2. Where does Mark go every night to "escape" when he is staying at Great Meadow?
3. What does Moran want to do when Michael returns?
4. What event do the three girls and Michael attend?
5. What is the relationship between Maggie and Mark O'Donoghue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
2. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
3. What shocks the girls at the St. Stephens Day dance?
4. How does Moran respond when he is questioned about threatening Michael with his gun?
5. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
6. How is Maggie's life changed by Rose becoming part of the family?
7. How is Michael jeopardizing his future?
8. How does the family respond to Maggie's fiance, Mark O'Donaghue?
9. Why is Moran threatened by Rose?
10. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amongst Women focuses heavily on a few male characters, but it is their interactions with women that make for the most interesting parts of the novel. The female characters evolve quite a bit throughout the novel. Discuss the change the female characters go through. Describe their role at the beginning and compare it to their role at the end. How is it different? Why did it change?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between major and minor characters. Name two major characters and two minor characters. Explain why they fit into their specific categories with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)