|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael borrow from Nell?
2. What does Maggie report about Luke?
3. Where does Rose advocate Maggie to go to train as a nurse?
4. Where do Nell and Michael make love?
5. Who do the girls always bring Rose information about?
Short Essay Questions
1. As time goes on, what becomes the most important thing in Moran's life?
2. In Section 5, what fills the house with joy?
3. Why is Moran threatened by Rose?
4. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
5. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
6. How does Moran respond when he is questioned about threatening Michael with his gun?
7. What shocks the girls at the St. Stephens Day dance?
8. Why is Moran out of sorts the morning after he fights with Rose?
9. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
10. Why does Moran make the entire family join him in the ritual of the Rosary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of gender roles as portrayed in the novel.
1. Do you think this novel is portrays women in a positive light? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that the men in the novel show respect to the women in their lives? If so, how? If not, why do you think they disrespect women? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is often used in literature. It gives the reader insight into what might happen in the future. In Amongst Women, the author utilizes foreshadowing from the very beginning. Did the foreshadowing give the reader a better insight into what was to come? Or did it simply create more questions and suspense? State your opinion and support your answer with examples of foreshadowing from the novel.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)