|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maggie, Mona, and Sheila all return home?
2. Who do the girls always bring Rose information about?
3. Who else in the family also advocated for Maggie to leave and train as a nurse?
4. What is the name of Sheila's boyfriend?
5. What does young Michael get when Rose and Moran begin sharing a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the family respond to Maggie's fiance, Mark O'Donaghue?
2. How is Maggie's life changed by Rose becoming part of the family?
3. What does Mark do that Moran finds ludicrous?
4. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
5. In Section 5, what fills the house with joy?
6. What does Moran do when he finds out Michael quit school?
7. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
8. What shocks the girls at the St. Stephens Day dance?
9. Why is Maggie so confident when she leaves for London?
10. Why do the children appreciate Rose as a new addition to the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amongst Women focuses heavily on a few male characters, but it is their interactions with women that make for the most interesting parts of the novel. The female characters evolve quite a bit throughout the novel. Discuss the change the female characters go through. Describe their role at the beginning and compare it to their role at the end. How is it different? Why did it change?
Essay Topic 2
The setting of Amongst Women plays a big role in the story itself. Describe the setting, both historically and geographically, and explain why it is so important to the novel and the development of the characters. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)