|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event do the three girls and Michael attend?
2. In the midst of his conflict with Michael, what can be considered Moran's anchor?
3. What do Moran and Rose do instead of attending Maggie's wedding?
4. What does Mark compare Great Meadow to as he leaves on the train?
5. What does Rose tell Michael he must do to make everything better with Moran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Moran out of sorts the morning after he fights with Rose?
2. As time goes on, what becomes the most important thing in Moran's life?
3. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
4. Why is Maggie so confident when she leaves for London?
5. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
6. In Section 5, what fills the house with joy?
7. What subject infuriates Moran and sparks a fight between he and Rose?
8. What does Moran do when he finds out Michael quit school?
9. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
10. Why is Moran threatened by Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used throughout the novel. The Rosary in particular was a recurring symbol. Define symbolism and give three different examples of what the Rosary may have symbolized. Support each example with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Much of this novel takes place in the past through the use of flashbacks. Why do you think the author worked backwards in such a way rather than chronologically? Do you think these flashbacks helped in the development in the characters and if so, how?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)