|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Maggie fill her time since she no longer has household chores to do?
2. Rose visits her family to swap what?
3. What does Mark compare Great Meadow to as he leaves on the train?
4. What do the children tend to do when Moran gets angry?
5. How does Rose respond when Moran tells her that the family managed well enough before she came?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
2. What begins to happen to Moran physically after Maggie brings home her newborn son?
3. What does Mark do that Moran finds ludicrous?
4. What do Moran and Rose think when Michael isn't present for the Rosary?
5. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
6. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
7. As time goes on, what becomes the most important thing in Moran's life?
8. Why does Moran make the entire family join him in the ritual of the Rosary?
9. How does Moran respond when he is questioned about threatening Michael with his gun?
10. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this novel takes place in the past through the use of flashbacks. Why do you think the author worked backwards in such a way rather than chronologically? Do you think these flashbacks helped in the development in the characters and if so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Moran from the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he change? If so, is it a positive change or a negative one and why? If you don't believe he changed; explain whether or not you think he needed to. Use examples from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used throughout the novel. The Rosary in particular was a recurring symbol. Define symbolism and give three different examples of what the Rosary may have symbolized. Support each example with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)