|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That winter what announcement does Sheila make?
2. What does Moran do when he catches Michael coming home late one night?
3. What petty thing sparks a fight between Moran and Michael?
4. Why do Mark and Maggie return to Great Meadow the next summer after their wedding?
5. What does Rose tell Michael he must do to make everything better with Moran?
Essay Topic 1
Amongst Women focuses heavily on a few male characters, but it is their interactions with women that make for the most interesting parts of the novel. The female characters evolve quite a bit throughout the novel. Discuss the change the female characters go through. Describe their role at the beginning and compare it to their role at the end. How is it different? Why did it change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of gender roles as portrayed in the novel.
1. Do you think this novel is portrays women in a positive light? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that the men in the novel show respect to the women in their lives? If so, how? If not, why do you think they disrespect women? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ending of the novel. Do you think Moran needed to die for the women to feel free? Why or why not. Support your answer with examples and quotes from the novel.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)