|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moran want to do when Michael returns?
2. Where does Sheila go on her honeymoon?
3. After taking their final exams, where do Mona and Sheila leave to?
4. Who does Sheila invite to the wedding without consulting anyone?
5. What does Sheila question Moran about in Section 6 that makes Moran very defensive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Moran physically after Maggie brings home her newborn son?
2. As time goes on, what becomes the most important thing in Moran's life?
3. What is it about Moran that seems to regulate the mood in the house?
4. What shocks the girls at the St. Stephens Day dance?
5. What subject infuriates Moran and sparks a fight between he and Rose?
6. When do Luke and Moran finally reconnect?
7. Why do the children appreciate Rose as a new addition to the family?
8. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
9. How does Moran respond when he is questioned about threatening Michael with his gun?
10. What does Moran do when he finds out Michael quit school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the ending of the novel. Do you think Moran needed to die for the women to feel free? Why or why not. Support your answer with examples and quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Moran from the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he change? If so, is it a positive change or a negative one and why? If you don't believe he changed; explain whether or not you think he needed to. Use examples from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the tone of the novel.
1. Discuss how the setting plays a role in creating the tone.
2. Discuss how the characters' actions help build the tone.
3. Discuss how the dialogue supports the tone.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)