|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes how Moran feels about half of his children moving away?
2. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
3. What does Moran complain about after asking Rose to marry him?
4. What rumor does McQuaid bring up about Moran?
5. Where is the wedding reception located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the ritual of the Rosary?
2. Name one way in that Moran and Rose are very different.
3. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
4. What makes the girls tense when Moran and McQuaid are talking?
5. What conclusion does Moran come to about Rose Brady?
6. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
7. Why do the Moran's daughters come home to Great Meadow?
8. How does Moran feel about marrying Rose?
9. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
10. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hubris plays a major role in the a few of the characters in the novel. Explore the role of hubris in novel and explain whether or not you think it had a positive or negative affect (or both) on the characters. Be sure to not only define hubris but explain how it affected the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Rising action is the events that lead up to the climax.
1. Identify the rising action of the novel.
2. Explain why this is the rising action.
3. Discuss why the rising action is an important element in story telling.
Essay Topic 3
Much of this novel takes place in the past through the use of flashbacks. Why do you think the author worked backwards in such a way rather than chronologically? Do you think these flashbacks helped in the development in the characters and if so, how?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)