Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception located?
2. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
3. What is Rose's last name?
4. What word best describes Moran's feelings about the wedding?
5. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
2. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
3. How is Moran's age affecting his relationship with his family and friends?
4. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
5. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
6. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
7. What was Moran's greatest failing?
8. Describe McQuaid's language towards his wife.
9. Describe Mona's relationship with her father and Rose.
10. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of gender roles as portrayed in the novel.
1. Do you think this novel is portrays women in a positive light? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that the men in the novel show respect to the women in their lives? If so, how? If not, why do you think they disrespect women? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
McQuaid played a big role in Moran's life even though he was only a minor character in the book.
1. Discuss what McQuaid might have represented to Moran and support your answer with examples from the novel.
2. Do you think Moran deciding to end his friendship with McQuaid was the right thing to do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is often used in literature. It gives the reader insight into what might happen in the future. In Amongst Women, the author utilizes foreshadowing from the very beginning. Did the foreshadowing give the reader a better insight into what was to come? Or did it simply create more questions and suspense? State your opinion and support your answer with examples of foreshadowing from the novel.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)