Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception located?
2. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
3. What is Rose's last name?
4. What word best describes Moran's feelings about the wedding?
5. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
2. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
3. How is Moran's age affecting his relationship with his family and friends?
4. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
5. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
6. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
7. What was Moran's greatest failing?
8. Describe McQuaid's language towards his wife.
9. Describe Mona's relationship with her father and Rose.
10. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
Essay Topic 1
Hubris plays a major role in the a few of the characters in the novel. Explore the role of hubris in novel and explain whether or not you think it had a positive or negative affect (or both) on the characters. Be sure to not only define hubris but explain how it affected the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Much of this novel takes place in the past through the use of flashbacks. Why do you think the author worked backwards in such a way rather than chronologically? Do you think these flashbacks helped in the development in the characters and if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Moran from the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he change? If so, is it a positive change or a negative one and why? If you don't believe he changed; explain whether or not you think he needed to. Use examples from the novel to support your answers.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)