|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moran constantly protest that nobody cares for him?
2. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
3. What is the reason Rose returns to Ireland?
4. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
5. What do the locals begin to gossip about in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
2. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
3. How does Moran justify his resentment towards McQuaid?
4. Why does Rose stop going to the evening mail group?
5. Name one way in that Moran and Rose are very different.
6. What is the girls' plan for making their father feel better?
7. Why does Moran speak so highly about the war?
8. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
9. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
10. What is the importance of the ritual of the Rosary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amongst Women focuses heavily on a few male characters, but it is their interactions with women that make for the most interesting parts of the novel. The female characters evolve quite a bit throughout the novel. Discuss the change the female characters go through. Describe their role at the beginning and compare it to their role at the end. How is it different? Why did it change?
Essay Topic 2
Hubris plays a major role in the a few of the characters in the novel. Explore the role of hubris in novel and explain whether or not you think it had a positive or negative affect (or both) on the characters. Be sure to not only define hubris but explain how it affected the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the rural setting of Great Meadows and the urban setting of London and Dublin.
1. What could these two different types of settings represent?
2. Would the story have been as powerful had it taken place outside of Ireland? Why or why not?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)