Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception located?
2. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
3. What is Rose's last name?
4. What word best describes Moran's feelings about the wedding?
5. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
2. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
3. How is Moran's age affecting his relationship with his family and friends?
4. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
5. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
6. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
7. What was Moran's greatest failing?
8. Describe McQuaid's language towards his wife.
9. Describe Mona's relationship with her father and Rose.
10. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
Essay Topic 1
Moran had a strained relationship with all of his children, but certainly more so with his sons. Analyze why it is that Moran got along better with women. Use examples from the book and quotes that might help support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what you think the moral of the novel might be?
1. Support your analysis with examples from the novel.
2. Make sure to look at both what the reader can glean from the novel as well as what the characters in the story might have learned.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)