|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
2. What does Moran complain about after asking Rose to marry him?
3. How does the Moran family react to Rose?
4. How do the children react to Rose?
5. Half of Moran's children have left Ireland. Where have they gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Moran's daughters come home to Great Meadow?
2. What is the girls' plan for making their father feel better?
3. Why is Moran ill tempered at the beginning of Section 2?
4. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
5. How does Moran justify his resentment towards McQuaid?
6. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
7. Why does Moran speak so highly about the war?
8. Why do the girls try so desperately to move Moran's attention away from Luke?
9. Describe the relationship between Moran and McQuaid.
10. Why is money a sensitive subject between Moran and McQuaid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how irony was used in the novel to create sympathy for certain characters as well as how it was used to develop certain characters. Discuss how irony helped develop your opinion of Moran in particular.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of Amongst Women plays a big role in the story itself. Describe the setting, both historically and geographically, and explain why it is so important to the novel and the development of the characters. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the rural setting of Great Meadows and the urban setting of London and Dublin.
1. What could these two different types of settings represent?
2. Would the story have been as powerful had it taken place outside of Ireland? Why or why not?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)