|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, what does Moran give to McQuaid?
2. What rumor does McQuaid bring up about Moran?
3. What is the relationship between Rose and Moran?
4. How does Moran feel about Monaghan Days of past?
5. What word best describes Moran's feelings about the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
2. Why does Moran speak so highly about the war?
3. Why do the girls try so desperately to move Moran's attention away from Luke?
4. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
5. How does Moran feel about marrying Rose?
6. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
7. Name one way in that Moran and Rose are very different.
8. What conclusion does Moran come to about Rose Brady?
9. Explain Rose's role in the Moran family.
10. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what you think the moral of the novel might be?
1. Support your analysis with examples from the novel.
2. Make sure to look at both what the reader can glean from the novel as well as what the characters in the story might have learned.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the rural setting of Great Meadows and the urban setting of London and Dublin.
1. What could these two different types of settings represent?
2. Would the story have been as powerful had it taken place outside of Ireland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Moran from the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he change? If so, is it a positive change or a negative one and why? If you don't believe he changed; explain whether or not you think he needed to. Use examples from the novel to support your answers.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)