|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moran tell McQuaid about Luke?
2. What is Rose's last name?
3. What is the name of the farm that Moran and Rose live on?
4. What kind of car does McQuaid drive?
5. What did Moran fear that lead to his marriage to Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rose meet Moran?
2. Why do the girls try so desperately to move Moran's attention away from Luke?
3. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
4. How does Moran justify his resentment towards McQuaid?
5. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
6. What is the girls' plan for making their father feel better?
7. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
8. What makes the girls tense when Moran and McQuaid are talking?
9. Describe the relationship between Moran and McQuaid.
10. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the difference between major and minor characters. Name two major characters and two minor characters. Explain why they fit into their specific categories with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the ending of the novel. Do you think Moran needed to die for the women to feel free? Why or why not. Support your answer with examples and quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The idea that Moran is a tragic hero can be debated.
1. Define a tragic hero.
2. Argue that Moran is or isn't a tragic hero, based on his character, personality, actions, and dialogue.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)