|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
2. How does Rose feel about the idea of a revival of Monaghan Day?
3. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
4. What is the relationship between Rose and Moran?
5. What does Moran complain about after asking Rose to marry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Moran's daughters come home to Great Meadow?
2. How did Rose meet Moran?
3. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
4. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
5. Why does Moran speak so highly about the war?
6. Explain Rose's role in the Moran family.
7. Why do the girls try so desperately to move Moran's attention away from Luke?
8. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
9. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
10. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moran had a strained relationship with all of his children, but certainly more so with his sons. Analyze why it is that Moran got along better with women. Use examples from the book and quotes that might help support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the rural setting of Great Meadows and the urban setting of London and Dublin.
1. What could these two different types of settings represent?
2. Would the story have been as powerful had it taken place outside of Ireland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how irony was used in the novel to create sympathy for certain characters as well as how it was used to develop certain characters. Discuss how irony helped develop your opinion of Moran in particular.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)