|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the locals begin to gossip about in Section 3?
2. What is Moran's first name?
3. After the war, what does Moran give to McQuaid?
4. Where did Rose work prior to returning to Ireland?
5. Where is the wedding reception located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
2. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
3. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
4. What conclusion does Moran come to about Rose Brady?
5. What is Rose Brady's background prior to meeting Moran?
6. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
7. Why is Moran angry that more than half his children left Ireland to work in England?
8. How does Moran feel about marrying Rose?
9. Why do the Moran's daughters come home to Great Meadow?
10. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is often used in literature. It gives the reader insight into what might happen in the future. In Amongst Women, the author utilizes foreshadowing from the very beginning. Did the foreshadowing give the reader a better insight into what was to come? Or did it simply create more questions and suspense? State your opinion and support your answer with examples of foreshadowing from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the rural setting of Great Meadows and the urban setting of London and Dublin.
1. What could these two different types of settings represent?
2. Would the story have been as powerful had it taken place outside of Ireland? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)