|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moran shoot with his shotgun?
2. While Moran is quite mean with money; what word best describes how Rose is with money?
3. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
4. Who helps Rose sneak something into the wardrobe?
5. What word best explains how Moran is acting in regards to his own possible death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe McQuaid's language towards his wife.
2. Why is Moran ill tempered at the beginning of Section 2?
3. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
4. How did Rose meet Moran?
5. How does Moran justify his resentment towards McQuaid?
6. Why do the girls try so desperately to move Moran's attention away from Luke?
7. What is Rose Brady's background prior to meeting Moran?
8. Explain Rose's role in the Moran family.
9. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
10. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of Amongst Women plays a big role in the story itself. Describe the setting, both historically and geographically, and explain why it is so important to the novel and the development of the characters. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Moran from the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he change? If so, is it a positive change or a negative one and why? If you don't believe he changed; explain whether or not you think he needed to. Use examples from the novel to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)