Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception located?
2. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
3. What is Rose's last name?
4. What word best describes Moran's feelings about the wedding?
5. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
2. Where does Michael go to escape his father's wrath?
3. How is Moran's age affecting his relationship with his family and friends?
4. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
5. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
6. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
7. What was Moran's greatest failing?
8. Describe McQuaid's language towards his wife.
9. Describe Mona's relationship with her father and Rose.
10. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
Essay Topic 1
McQuaid played a big role in Moran's life even though he was only a minor character in the book.
1. Discuss what McQuaid might have represented to Moran and support your answer with examples from the novel.
2. Do you think Moran deciding to end his friendship with McQuaid was the right thing to do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Michael Moran, Sr. and Michael Moran, Jr. Keep in mind that while these two men seem quite different, they do share many similarities. Discuss both their commonalities and differences in character. Be sure to support your opinions with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the rural setting of Great Meadows and the urban setting of London and Dublin.
1. What could these two different types of settings represent?
2. Would the story have been as powerful had it taken place outside of Ireland? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)