|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Moran's first name?
2. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
3. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
4. The last true Monaghan Day marks a time when the girls remember their father as what?
5. McQuaid arrives to Great Meadow in the evening because he was doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
2. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
3. Why is Moran angry that more than half his children left Ireland to work in England?
4. Name one way in that Moran and Rose are very different.
5. What is the girls' plan for making their father feel better?
6. Describe the relationship between Moran and McQuaid.
7. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
8. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
9. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
10. Describe McQuaid's language towards his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of gender roles as portrayed in the novel.
1. Do you think this novel is portrays women in a positive light? Why or why not?
2. Do you think that the men in the novel show respect to the women in their lives? If so, how? If not, why do you think they disrespect women? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the difference between major and minor characters. Name two major characters and two minor characters. Explain why they fit into their specific categories with examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the tone of the novel.
1. Discuss how the setting plays a role in creating the tone.
2. Discuss how the characters' actions help build the tone.
3. Discuss how the dialogue supports the tone.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)