|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the farm that Moran and Rose live on?
2. How does Moran feel about Monaghan Days of past?
3. What is the relationship between Rose and Moran?
4. What is Moran's first name?
5. Who does Moran speak to about the possibility of introducing another woman into the household?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
2. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
3. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
4. Explain Rose's role in the Moran family.
5. What conclusion does Moran come to about Rose Brady?
6. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
7. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
8. What makes the girls tense when Moran and McQuaid are talking?
9. Describe the relationship between Moran and McQuaid.
10. Why do the girls try so desperately to move Moran's attention away from Luke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea that Moran is a tragic hero can be debated.
1. Define a tragic hero.
2. Argue that Moran is or isn't a tragic hero, based on his character, personality, actions, and dialogue.
Essay Topic 2
Rising action is the events that lead up to the climax.
1. Identify the rising action of the novel.
2. Explain why this is the rising action.
3. Discuss why the rising action is an important element in story telling.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of Amongst Women plays a big role in the story itself. Describe the setting, both historically and geographically, and explain why it is so important to the novel and the development of the characters. Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)