|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does young Michael cry during the ritual of the Rosary?
(a) He is afraid of Moran.
(b) He does not believe in the Rosary.
(c) He hurt his back tending to the garden.
(d) He misses his sisters.
2. What about Mark shocks Mona and Sheila?
(a) His quiet and shy personality.
(b) His crude language.
(c) His lack of manners toward Rose and Moran.
(d) His fashion and appearance.
3. What does Maggie report that Luke is doing in London?
(a) Working as an electrician.
(b) Studying to be a doctor.
(c) Studying accountancy.
(d) Working as a teacher.
4. What does Michael do when Moran lunges at him?
(a) Michael swings back and breaks Moran's nose.
(b) Michael avoids the lunge and escapes the house.
(c) Michael wrestles Moran to the ground and the two stop when Rose comes in.
(d) Michael gets hit and cries in the corner.
5. When is the only time that Moran is seemingly happy?
(a) During harvest season.
(b) During the Rosary.
(c) When he is alone.
(d) When his children do well on their exams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moran spread across the fields?
2. Why do Mark and Maggie return to Great Meadow the next summer after their wedding?
3. In the midst of his conflict with Michael, what can be considered Moran's anchor?
4. What does Young Michael tend to?
5. Who helps Maggie apply for positions as a nurse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Moran that seems to regulate the mood in the house?
2. In Section 5, what fills the house with joy?
3. What does Mark do that Moran finds ludicrous?
4. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
5. What does Moran do when he finds out Michael quit school?
6. How is Maggie's life changed by Rose becoming part of the family?
7. By Section 5, what is Moran losing that he treasures most?
8. As time goes on, what becomes the most important thing in Moran's life?
9. What subject infuriates Moran and sparks a fight between he and Rose?
10. What causes Moran to become more and more morose throughout Section 4?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)