|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the locals begin to gossip about in Section 3?
(a) Rose making a fool of herself for love.
(b) Luke is moving home soon.
(c) Rose is going to break Moran's heart.
(d) Moran is leading Rose on.
2. The once strong Moran is now dealing with the irony of what?
(a) Fighting with family instead of enemies of war.
(b) Falling in love and needing to be sensitive.
(c) Growing weak while his family gets stronger.
(d) Becoming poor while his wife becomes rich.
3. What is the main topic of conversation between Moran and McQuaid?
(a) Their families.
(b) The weather.
(c) The war.
(d) The economy.
4. What does Moran realize about Rose once McQuaid leaves Great Meadows?
(a) Rose is just a good friend.
(b) Rose is in love with McQuaid.
(c) Moran will marry Rose.
(d) Moran can't stand Rose.
5. Why does Rose stop going to the post office?
(a) She stops receiving mail so there is no reason to go.
(b) She can't leave her father alone in the house.
(c) She decides if Moran wants to see her, he will come to her.
(d) She gives up on the idea of becoming a mail carrier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be foreshadowed about Moran's health in the first few paragraphs of the book?
2. Which two characters prepare the house for the big celebration?
3. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
4. How does the Moran family react to Rose?
5. Who, in particular, thinks Rose is making a mistake by entertaining Moran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Moran come to about Rose Brady?
2. Why do the Moran's daughters come home to Great Meadow?
3. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
4. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
5. How did Rose meet Moran?
6. Why is Moran angry that more than half his children left Ireland to work in England?
7. Why is money a sensitive subject between Moran and McQuaid?
8. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
9. What is the importance of the ritual of the Rosary?
10. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)