|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
(a) That he has divorced his wife and is courting again.
(b) That he is leaving Ireland and moving to England.
(c) That he has to leave early instead of staying the night.
(d) That he lost all his money and needs a loan.
2. What is the reason Rose returns to Ireland?
(a) To nurse her dying father.
(b) To work in the post office.
(c) To be with her children.
(d) To win the love of Moran.
3. What word best describes Rose's mothers feelings about the marriage?
4. How is Rose handling Moran's possible death?
(a) She is acting like it won't ever happen.
(b) She is frantic.
(c) She has not given it any thought.
(d) She is quietly preparing for it.
5. How do the girls react when McQuaid inquires about Luke?
(a) They don't know who Luke is.
(b) They are excited to share.
(c) They get angry.
(d) They get tense.
Short Answer Questions
1. After not seeing Rose at the post office, what does Moran do?
2. After the war, what does Moran give to McQuaid?
3. Why does Moran constantly protest that nobody cares for him?
4. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
5. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Moran angry that more than half his children left Ireland to work in England?
2. Why is Moran threatened by Rose?
3. What is the significance of the girls chatting and laughing as they leave Moran's grave?
4. Why does Sheila visit Great Meadow less frequently than the other girls?
5. Why do the children appreciate Rose as a new addition to the family?
6. How does Luke respond to the letter from Moran?
7. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
8. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
9. What is the importance of the ritual of the Rosary?
10. How does Moran respond to Michael's new way of life?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)