|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
(a) Moran and Rose.
(b) Moran and McQuaid.
(c) Moran and Maggie.
(d) McQuaid and Maggie.
2. How does Rose feel about the idea of a revival of Monaghan Day?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is anxious.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She is doubtful.
3. What seems to be foreshadowed about Moran's health in the first few paragraphs of the book?
(a) Moran is losing his mind.
(b) Moran has an inccurrable illness.
(c) Moran is growing weaker.
(d) Moran is getting stronger.
4. What does McQuaid find overbearing about Moran's personality?
(a) Moran's praise of his children.
(b) Moran's regret about post-war Ireland.
(c) Moran's constant need to be right.
(d) Moran's treatment of women.
5. Which two characters prepare the house for the big celebration?
(a) Sheila and Mona.
(b) Mona and Maggie.
(c) Moran and McQuaid.
(d) Maggie and Rose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is growing frail so hard for Moran?
2. Half of Moran's children have left Ireland. Where have they gone?
3. After the war, what does Moran give to McQuaid?
4. How are the daughters reacting to Moran's possible death?
5. What two things does McQuaid compliment as he sits with Moran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the ritual of the Rosary?
2. How does Moran feel about marrying Rose?
3. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
4. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
5. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
6. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
7. Why is money a sensitive subject between Moran and McQuaid?
8. What is the girls' plan for making their father feel better?
9. What makes the girls tense when Moran and McQuaid are talking?
10. How did Rose meet Moran?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)