|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the wedding reception located?
(a) The courthouse.
(b) Great Meadow.
(c) Rose's family home.
(d) The post office.
2. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
(a) That he has divorced his wife and is courting again.
(b) That he is leaving Ireland and moving to England.
(c) That he has to leave early instead of staying the night.
(d) That he lost all his money and needs a loan.
3. McQuaid arrives to Great Meadow in the evening because he was doing what?
(a) Saying goodbye to his family.
(b) Working on his car.
(c) Visiting other friends along the way.
(d) Selling his winter livestock.
4. Why does Rose stop going to the post office?
(a) She can't leave her father alone in the house.
(b) She gives up on the idea of becoming a mail carrier.
(c) She decides if Moran wants to see her, he will come to her.
(d) She stops receiving mail so there is no reason to go.
5. How does Moran feel about Monaghan Days of past?
(a) He feels they are a good excuse to party.
(b) They mean the world to him.
(c) They have no special meaning to him.
(d) He feels it is a waste of time and effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does McQuaid drink instead of the tea the girls make?
2. What seems to be foreshadowed about Moran's health in the first few paragraphs of the book?
3. Moran has a hatred and fear of what two things?
4. How does Moran feel about the idea of marrying Rose?
5. Moran fought for the IRA in the war. What does IRA stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe McQuaid's language towards his wife.
2. What makes the girls tense when Moran and McQuaid are talking?
3. Why is Moran angry that more than half his children left Ireland to work in England?
4. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
5. Why is Moran ill tempered at the beginning of Section 2?
6. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
7. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
8. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
9. What is Rose Brady's background prior to meeting Moran?
10. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)