|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Moran react when the girls bring up some of the stories they have heard spoken of about Monaghan Days past?
(a) He gets embarrassed and quiet.
(b) He ignores them and pretends he didn't hear them talking.
(c) He gets angry and asks them to stop talking.
(d) He speaks openly about the horrors of the war.
2. How does Moran know McQuaid?
(a) He is an old army buddy.
(b) He is a long lost brother.
(c) He is an old boss.
(d) The two don't know each other.
3. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
(a) That he has to leave early instead of staying the night.
(b) That he lost all his money and needs a loan.
(c) That he is leaving Ireland and moving to England.
(d) That he has divorced his wife and is courting again.
4. What kind of car does McQuaid drive?
(b) Aston Martin.
5. Half of Moran's children have left Ireland. Where have they gone?
(b) The United States of America.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
2. What is the main topic of conversation between Moran and McQuaid?
3. After the war, what does Moran give to McQuaid?
4. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
5. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
2. Why does Moran speak so highly about the war?
3. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
4. Explain Rose's role in the Moran family.
5. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
6. How does Moran feel about marrying Rose?
7. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
8. What is Rose Brady's background prior to meeting Moran?
9. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
10. How does Moran justify his resentment towards McQuaid?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)