|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
(a) To make sure her mail is not lost.
(b) So that she can learn how to be a mail carrier.
(c) So that she has an excuse to leave the house.
(d) To make conversation with Moran.
2. McQuaid arrives to Great Meadow in the evening because he was doing what?
(a) Working on his car.
(b) Selling his winter livestock.
(c) Visiting other friends along the way.
(d) Saying goodbye to his family.
3. How does Moran feel about the idea of marrying Rose?
(a) Moran can't wait to marry Rose.
(b) Moran resents the idea.
(c) Moran is nervous about what his daughters will think.
(d) Moran isn't planning on marrying Rose.
4. How does Moran know McQuaid?
(a) He is an old army buddy.
(b) He is a long lost brother.
(c) The two don't know each other.
(d) He is an old boss.
5. What does Rose know about Moran before she even meets him?
(a) Moran is a ladies man who is not to be trusted.
(b) Moran is rich man with a lot of land.
(c) Moran is a widower raising children alone.
(d) Moran is a heroic war veteran.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moran react when the girls bring up some of the stories they have heard spoken of about Monaghan Days past?
2. What is Moran's first name?
3. Where did Rose work prior to returning to Ireland?
4. What word best describes Moran's feelings about the wedding?
5. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does McQuaid mean when he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second"?
2. What is the girls' plan for making their father feel better?
3. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
4. Why is money a sensitive subject between Moran and McQuaid?
5. Why do the girls try so desperately to move Moran's attention away from Luke?
6. What makes the girls tense when Moran and McQuaid are talking?
7. How does Moran justify his resentment towards McQuaid?
8. Why does Rose stop going to the evening mail group?
9. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
10. What is Rose Brady's background prior to meeting Moran?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)