|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
2. Despite the fact that he asks for the opinions of others, what does Moran usually do?
(a) Moran just does whatever he wishes.
(b) Moran does what his daughters tell him is best.
(c) Moran does whatever Rose wants.
(d) Moran does what the Lord tells him to do.
3. What does McQuaid drink instead of the tea the girls make?
4. What excuse does Moran give as to why he invited McQuaid to the celebration?
(a) So McQuaid wouldn't be so lonely.
(b) So McQuaid would leave the house.
(c) Because he missed McQuaid.
(d) So McQuaid wouldn't drink himself stupid at the fair.
5. What does McQuaid chastise Moran for NOT doing after the war?
(a) Joining him in business.
(b) Applying for pension.
(c) Leaving Ireland.
(d) Selling his farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
2. How does Moran explain life during the war compared to his life now?
3. What does McQuaid find overbearing about Moran's personality?
4. What is Rose's last name?
5. What is the reason Rose returns to Ireland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
2. Why is Moran ill tempered at the beginning of Section 2?
3. What does Moran realize as McQuaid leaves the house?
4. How does McQuaid compliment Moran's daughters during his visit?
5. Why does Rose stop going to the evening mail group?
6. How does Moran feel about marrying Rose?
7. What is the importance of the ritual of the Rosary?
8. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
9. What was Rose's first impression of Moran?
10. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)