|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does McQuaid compliment as he sits with Moran?
(a) The beverages and the furniture.
(b) The girls and the meal.
(c) Moran and the weather.
(d) The house and the curtains.
2. How does Moran react when the girls bring up some of the stories they have heard spoken of about Monaghan Days past?
(a) He gets embarrassed and quiet.
(b) He gets angry and asks them to stop talking.
(c) He ignores them and pretends he didn't hear them talking.
(d) He speaks openly about the horrors of the war.
3. How does Moran feel about the idea of marrying Rose?
(a) Moran resents the idea.
(b) Moran isn't planning on marrying Rose.
(c) Moran can't wait to marry Rose.
(d) Moran is nervous about what his daughters will think.
4. The once strong Moran is now dealing with the irony of what?
(a) Becoming poor while his wife becomes rich.
(b) Fighting with family instead of enemies of war.
(c) Falling in love and needing to be sensitive.
(d) Growing weak while his family gets stronger.
5. Which word best describes how Moran feels about half of his children moving away?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
2. How are the daughters reacting to Moran's possible death?
3. How do the children react to Rose?
4. Other than love, what is a possible reason for Rose to marry Moran?
5. What did Moran fear that lead to his marriage to Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sheila visit Great Meadow less frequently than the other girls?
2. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
3. Explain Rose's role in the Moran family.
4. How did Rose meet Moran?
5. What bad habits does Michael engage in once all his sisters leave the house?
6. What is it about Moran that seems to regulate the mood in the house?
7. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
8. How is Maggie's life changed by Rose becoming part of the family?
9. Why is Moran out of sorts the morning after he fights with Rose?
10. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)