|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
(a) The used car business.
(b) The cattle business.
(c) The stock market.
(d) Farming potatos.
2. What kind of car does McQuaid drive?
(d) Aston Martin.
3. What is Moran's first name?
4. What did Moran fear that lead to his marriage to Rose?
(a) Going bankrupt.
(b) His children moving away.
(c) Growing old and alone.
(d) Another upcoming war.
5. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
(a) To make conversation with Moran.
(b) To make sure her mail is not lost.
(c) So that she has an excuse to leave the house.
(d) So that she can learn how to be a mail carrier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Moran speak to about the possibility of introducing another woman into the household?
2. What does Moran praise McQuaid for?
3. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
4. What excuse does Moran give as to why he invited McQuaid to the celebration?
5. Other than love, what is a possible reason for Rose to marry Moran?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the ritual of the Rosary?
2. In Section 1, what seems to foreshadow a change of power between the family members?
3. Why does McQuaid leave Great Meadow early?
4. Describe the relationship between Rose and Moran's children.
5. Why is Moran ill tempered at the beginning of Section 2?
6. Why is it important that Moran's aging and increasing weakness is foreshadowed in Section 1 of the book?
7. Why does Rose stop going to the evening mail group?
8. What makes the girls tense when Moran and McQuaid are talking?
9. What are Moran's feelings about Rose during their post office courtship?
10. Explain Rose's role in the Moran family.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)