|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What chore does Moran gather the children to do?
(a) Wash the dishes.
(b) Pick the fruit from the trees.
(c) Mow and gather the hay.
(d) Clean all the windows.
2. As Moran seems to lose his spark for life, what is it that he mentions he feels betrayed by?
(a) Rose who seems to like his children more than him.
(b) His two sons who left him.
(c) How fast the years have gone by.
(d) How boring life has been after the war.
3. How old is Michael when his sisters leave home?
4. Why do Maggie, Mona, and Sheila all return home?
(a) Rose asked them to visit.
(b) They heard Michael was getting into trouble.
(c) The Christmas holiday.
(d) Moran's birthday.
5. Moran writes to Luke asking him to do what?
(a) Meet Maggie in London.
(b) Come home.
(c) Send money to the family.
(d) Allow Maggie to live with him.
6. How does Rose respond when Moran tells her that the family managed well enough before she came?
(a) She tells Moran she will have to go away from there.
(b) She slaps Moran and demands and apology.
(c) She suffers in silence and says nothing.
(d) She gets and frustrated and explains all the good she has done.
7. What does Michael begin to do when he discovers he is attracted to older women?
(a) Asks women out that he meets at church.
(b) Stays out late dancing and drinking.
(c) Dresses in suits to look older.
(d) Writes love letters to complete strangers.
8. What event do the three girls and Michael attend?
(a) The lighting of the town tree.
(b) The church Christmas play.
(c) The early morning Mass service.
(d) The St. Stephen's Day dance.
9. Where does Michael flee to find refuge?
(a) To the cemetery where his real mother is buried.
(b) To the bar so that he can drink until he forgets his problems.
(c) To Dublin to be with his sisters.
(d) To New York to wait for Nell to return.
10. What does Moran tell Michael to do when he finds out about his sons affair with Nell?
(a) Moran sends Michael to his room and tells him to take of his clothes and prepare for a beating.
(b) Moran kicks Michael out of the house and asks him never to return.
(c) Moran hits Michael and informs him that the beatings will continue until the affair ends.
(d) Moran tells Michael to end the affair and go back to school or he will send him to boarding school.
11. What is the relationship between Maggie and Mark O'Donoghue?
(a) They are co-workers and have never gotten along.
(b) They are former lovers and now friends.
(c) They are secretly engaged.
(d) They are strangers.
12. What do the children tend to do when Moran gets angry?
(a) Confront their father about his anger.
(b) Become withdrawn and quiet.
(c) Slip out of the room.
(d) Fight back.
13. Sheila and Mona send a note to Moran and Rose telling them that Michael is where?
(a) New York.
14. What touchy subject does Moran finally ask Maggie about when she returns from London on holiday?
(a) Her studies.
(b) His marriage to Rose.
(d) Her boyfriends.
15. Where does Mark go every night to "escape" when he is staying at Great Meadow?
(a) His car.
(b) The pub.
(c) Maggie's bedroom.
(d) The barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Moran and Rose do instead of attending Maggie's wedding?
2. In the midst of his conflict with Michael, what can be considered Moran's anchor?
3. What petty thing sparks a fight between Moran and Michael?
4. Where does Moran begin spending much more time after Mark and Maggie's visit?
5. When Michael doesn't show up for the Rosary, where do Moran and Rose assume he is?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)