|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way home from the wedding, what does Moran make everyone do in the car to save time?
(a) Say the Rosary.
(b) Eat their dinner.
(c) Change out of their wedding clothes.
(d) Open the wedding gifts.
2. What does Maggie report about Luke?
(a) He is lonely and wants to return home.
(b) He is back in school.
(c) He and his businesses are doing well.
(d) He is broke and needs a loan.
3. As Moran seems to lose his spark for life, what is it that he mentions he feels betrayed by?
(a) How boring life has been after the war.
(b) Rose who seems to like his children more than him.
(c) His two sons who left him.
(d) How fast the years have gone by.
4. What nightly ritual does Rose become involved in?
(a) Locking up the house.
(b) Saying the Rosary.
(c) Doing the dishes.
(d) Tucking in the children.
5. Who else in the family also advocated for Maggie to leave and train as a nurse?
6. What does Nell Morahan do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse.
(b) She is a butcher.
(c) She works for the government.
(d) She is a waitress.
7. What does Moran tell Michael to do when he finds out about his sons affair with Nell?
(a) Moran kicks Michael out of the house and asks him never to return.
(b) Moran tells Michael to end the affair and go back to school or he will send him to boarding school.
(c) Moran sends Michael to his room and tells him to take of his clothes and prepare for a beating.
(d) Moran hits Michael and informs him that the beatings will continue until the affair ends.
8. Where does Mark go every night to "escape" when he is staying at Great Meadow?
(a) His car.
(b) The pub.
(c) The barn.
(d) Maggie's bedroom.
9. What does Michael do when Moran lunges at him?
(a) Michael avoids the lunge and escapes the house.
(b) Michael swings back and breaks Moran's nose.
(c) Michael gets hit and cries in the corner.
(d) Michael wrestles Moran to the ground and the two stop when Rose comes in.
10. Why do Maggie, Mona, and Sheila all return home?
(a) Rose asked them to visit.
(b) Moran's birthday.
(c) They heard Michael was getting into trouble.
(d) The Christmas holiday.
11. When is the only time that Moran is seemingly happy?
(a) When his children do well on their exams.
(b) During the Rosary.
(c) When he is alone.
(d) During harvest season.
12. Sheila and Mona send a note to Moran and Rose telling them that Michael is where?
(a) New York.
13. What does Mark compare Great Meadow to as he leaves on the train?
(a) A nightmare.
(d) A vacation.
14. Who calls Moran from the school to inquire about Michael?
(a) Father Murphy.
(b) Brother Michael.
(c) Sister O'Connell.
(d) Mother Mary Dalles.
15. What event do the three girls and Michael attend?
(a) The lighting of the town tree.
(b) The St. Stephen's Day dance.
(c) The church Christmas play.
(d) The early morning Mass service.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael borrow from Nell?
2. Where does Moran begin spending much more time after Mark and Maggie's visit?
3. Who helps Maggie apply for positions as a nurse?
4. Where does Sheila go on her honeymoon?
5. What does Moran want to do when Michael returns?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)