|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael do that makes Nell worry?
(a) He quits school early.
(b) He proposes marriage.
(c) He threatens to move away.
(d) He tells Nell he loves her.
2. What do Moran and Rose do instead of attending Maggie's wedding?
(a) Send a letter saying they disagree with her choices.
(b) Send a check to pay for the reception.
(c) Travel to Scotland to visit Rose's family.
(d) Travel to London to search for Luke.
3. What is the name of Sheila's boyfriend?
(a) Sheamus Wilson.
(b) Sean Flynn.
(c) William Hulahan.
(d) Patrick O'Conner.
4. What do the children tend to do when Moran gets angry?
(a) Confront their father about his anger.
(b) Fight back.
(c) Slip out of the room.
(d) Become withdrawn and quiet.
5. Where do Nell and Michael make love?
(a) At Nell's apartment.
(b) In the back seat of the car.
(c) In the sand dunes.
(d) At Great Meadows.
6. What is Luke doing for work in London?
(a) Teaching at the University.
(b) Converting old houses into flats.
(c) Luke owns a small farm just like Moran.
(d) Luke is unemployed.
7. Why do Mark and Maggie return to Great Meadow the next summer after their wedding?
(a) Mark needed to ask Moran for money.
(b) Mark and Maggie are moving back to Great Meadow for good.
(c) Maggie wanted to update Moran and Rose about Luke.
(d) Maggie gave birth to a baby boy.
8. Why do Maggie, Mona, and Sheila all return home?
(a) Moran's birthday.
(b) The Christmas holiday.
(c) Rose asked them to visit.
(d) They heard Michael was getting into trouble.
9. What does Sheila question Moran about in Section 6 that makes Moran very defensive?
(a) The bruises on Rose's arms.
(b) Luke being beaten.
(c) Moran's faith.
(d) Michael being afraid of the gun.
10. What type of jobs were both Mona and Sheila offered?
(a) Working for the government.
(b) Working with children.
(c) Working in sales.
(d) Working on a farm.
11. Whose place in the household does Rose take over?
12. What is the relationship between Maggie and Mark O'Donoghue?
(a) They are strangers.
(b) They are co-workers and have never gotten along.
(c) They are former lovers and now friends.
(d) They are secretly engaged.
13. That winter what announcement does Sheila make?
(a) She has won the lottery.
(b) She is engaged.
(c) She is moving back to Great Meadow.
(d) She is dying.
14. Who else in the family also advocated for Maggie to leave and train as a nurse?
15. After taking their final exams, where do Mona and Sheila leave to?
(a) New York.
(b) Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Moran seems to lose his spark for life, what is it that he mentions he feels betrayed by?
2. Where does Moran begin spending much more time after Mark and Maggie's visit?
3. What does Mark O'Donoghue do for work in London?
4. What does Rose tell Michael he must do to make everything better with Moran?
5. On what occasion does Mark visit Great Meadow?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)