|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moran want to do when Michael returns?
(a) Invite Michael and Nell to live together at Great Meadows.
(b) Administer a beating in front of the whole family.
(c) Inform Michael that he is no longer in the family will.
(d) Apologize to Michael in front of the whole family.
2. What does Moran spread across the fields?
3. What type of jobs were both Mona and Sheila offered?
(a) Working on a farm.
(b) Working for the government.
(c) Working in sales.
(d) Working with children.
4. Who does Sheila invite to the wedding without consulting anyone?
(a) Her ex-boyfriend.
5. What does Michael do that makes Nell worry?
(a) He proposes marriage.
(b) He quits school early.
(c) He tells Nell he loves her.
(d) He threatens to move away.
6. What does Michael borrow from Nell?
(a) Train fare.
(b) New clothes.
(c) Her car.
(d) Her passport.
7. Who calls Moran from the school to inquire about Michael?
(a) Mother Mary Dalles.
(b) Brother Michael.
(c) Father Murphy.
(d) Sister O'Connell.
8. Why do Sheila and Sean go back to the house while the rest of the family is pitching in with the haymaking?
(a) They go to the house to make dinner for the family.
(b) They go to the house just to anger Moran.
(c) They go to the house because they are too weak to work.
(d) They go to the house to make love.
9. In the midst of his conflict with Michael, what can be considered Moran's anchor?
(a) The distraction of the farm.
(b) His friendship with McQuaid.
(c) His relationship with Rose.
(d) The ritual of the Rosary.
10. Where does Michael go instead of going to school?
(a) Michael travels back to Dublin.
(b) Michael travels to London to find Luke.
(c) Michael skips school to go to a bar.
(d) Michael tries to find Nell.
11. Who helps Maggie apply for positions as a nurse?
12. When Maggie asks Luke to come home, what is his response?
(a) "My home is in London now."
(b) "Only women can live with Moran."
(c) "I have no home."
(d) "Moran will kill me if I come home."
13. What does Maggie report about Luke?
(a) He is lonely and wants to return home.
(b) He and his businesses are doing well.
(c) He is broke and needs a loan.
(d) He is back in school.
14. As Moran seems to lose his spark for life, what is it that he mentions he feels betrayed by?
(a) His two sons who left him.
(b) How boring life has been after the war.
(c) Rose who seems to like his children more than him.
(d) How fast the years have gone by.
15. Where does Michael flee to find refuge?
(a) To Dublin to be with his sisters.
(b) To the bar so that he can drink until he forgets his problems.
(c) To New York to wait for Nell to return.
(d) To the cemetery where his real mother is buried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children tend to do when Moran gets angry?
2. What does Moran do when he catches Michael coming home late one night?
3. Michael is caught flirting with Nell Morahan. What is her reputation?
4. When is the only time that Moran is seemingly happy?
5. Whose place in the household does Rose take over?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)