|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the midst of his conflict with Michael, what can be considered Moran's anchor?
(a) His friendship with McQuaid.
(b) His relationship with Rose.
(c) The distraction of the farm.
(d) The ritual of the Rosary.
2. What does Moran eye during the fight that makes Michael nervous?
(a) The shotgun.
(b) A kitchen knife.
(c) Michael's suitcase.
(d) The Rosary beads.
3. After taking their final exams, where do Mona and Sheila leave to?
(a) Hong Kong.
(c) New York.
4. Why do Sheila and Sean go back to the house while the rest of the family is pitching in with the haymaking?
(a) They go to the house to make love.
(b) They go to the house just to anger Moran.
(c) They go to the house because they are too weak to work.
(d) They go to the house to make dinner for the family.
5. What about Mark shocks Mona and Sheila?
(a) His quiet and shy personality.
(b) His crude language.
(c) His fashion and appearance.
(d) His lack of manners toward Rose and Moran.
6. What does Michael borrow from Nell?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her passport.
(c) Train fare.
(d) New clothes.
7. What event do the three girls and Michael attend?
(a) The church Christmas play.
(b) The St. Stephen's Day dance.
(c) The early morning Mass service.
(d) The lighting of the town tree.
8. What petty thing sparks a fight between Moran and Michael?
(a) Michael's tendancy to come home late smelling of alcohol.
(b) Moran's impolite nicknames for Moran and Nell.
(c) The way Michael folds the laundry.
(d) The way Michael pushes the salt shaker to Moran.
9. What does Maggie report about Luke?
(a) He is back in school.
(b) He is lonely and wants to return home.
(c) He is broke and needs a loan.
(d) He and his businesses are doing well.
10. Michael is caught flirting with Nell Morahan. What is her reputation?
(a) She is younger and immature.
(b) She is mean and rude to men.
(c) She is shy and rarely talks to men.
(d) She is older and promiscuous.
11. Where does Moran begin spending much more time after Mark and Maggie's visit?
(a) The church.
(b) The pub.
(c) His porch.
(d) His bed.
12. That winter what announcement does Sheila make?
(a) She is engaged.
(b) She is moving back to Great Meadow.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She has won the lottery.
13. What word best describes how Moran feels about Rose going out?
14. What does Rose tell Michael he must do to make everything better with Moran?
(a) Michael must bring Luke home from London.
(b) Michael must work on the farm for free.
(c) Michael must give up drinking for good.
(d) Michael must apologize to Moran.
15. What does Michael do that shocks the girls and allows them to see him in a different light?
(a) He drinks a beer.
(b) He kisses a woman.
(c) He ignores his daily chores.
(d) He talks back to Moran.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sheila invite to the wedding without consulting anyone?
2. What does Mark compare Great Meadow to as he leaves on the train?
3. What is Luke doing for work in London?
4. When is the only time that Moran is seemingly happy?
5. Where does Mark go every night to "escape" when he is staying at Great Meadow?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)