|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
(a) The stock market.
(b) Farming potatos.
(c) The cattle business.
(d) The used car business.
2. Moran fought for the IRA in the war. What does IRA stand for?
(a) Irish Republican Army.
(b) International Republican Army.
(c) International Rebel Alliance.
(d) Irish Rebel Alliance.
3. What does McQuaid chastise Moran for NOT doing after the war?
(a) Joining him in business.
(b) Applying for pension.
(c) Selling his farm.
(d) Leaving Ireland.
4. What does Moran realize about Rose once McQuaid leaves Great Meadows?
(a) Rose is just a good friend.
(b) Moran can't stand Rose.
(c) Rose is in love with McQuaid.
(d) Moran will marry Rose.
5. Who does Moran speak to about the possibility of introducing another woman into the household?
6. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
7. What does Moran tell McQuaid about Luke?
(a) Moran is proud of Luke.
(b) Moran is visiting Luke soon.
(c) Luke is still living at home.
(d) Luke left the house on bad terms.
8. What topic threatens to sour the mood of Moran?
(b) The war.
(d) The Republic of Ireland.
9. What does Moran shoot with his shotgun?
(a) A bird.
(b) A window.
(c) A dog.
(d) A can.
10. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
(a) Moran and Rose.
(b) Moran and Maggie.
(c) McQuaid and Maggie.
(d) Moran and McQuaid.
11. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
12. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
(a) Turns out the lights.
(b) Drinks water.
(c) Says the Rosary.
(d) Brushes his teeth.
13. Who, in particular, thinks Rose is making a mistake by entertaining Moran?
(b) Moran's son, Luke.
(c) Rose's mother.
(d) Moran's daughters.
14. Saying the Rosary is significant in what religion?
15. What is Moran's first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
2. What is Rose's first impression of Moran after they first meet?
3. Despite having less money and worldly possessions; what makes Moran feel superior to McQuaid?
4. What type of work did Rose do before she returned to Ireland?
5. What seems to be foreshadowed about Moran's health in the first few paragraphs of the book?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)