|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is growing frail so hard for Moran?
(a) He is not growing frail at all.
(b) He can no longer work on the farm.
(c) He wants to re-enlist in the IRA.
(d) He is used to being in control.
2. What does Moran shoot with his shotgun?
(a) A dog.
(b) A can.
(c) A window.
(d) A bird.
3. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
(a) To make sure her mail is not lost.
(b) So that she can learn how to be a mail carrier.
(c) To make conversation with Moran.
(d) So that she has an excuse to leave the house.
4. Which character enrages Moran by accidentally dropping a plate?
5. How does Moran know McQuaid?
(a) He is an old army buddy.
(b) The two don't know each other.
(c) He is a long lost brother.
(d) He is an old boss.
6. How does Moran react when the girls bring up some of the stories they have heard spoken of about Monaghan Days past?
(a) He gets embarrassed and quiet.
(b) He speaks openly about the horrors of the war.
(c) He ignores them and pretends he didn't hear them talking.
(d) He gets angry and asks them to stop talking.
7. Moran's daughters plan a surprise revival of what special day?
(a) Christmas Day.
(b) Moran and Rose's anniversary.
(c) Moran's birthday.
(d) Monaghan Day.
8. What does McQuaid chastise Moran for NOT doing after the war?
(a) Selling his farm.
(b) Leaving Ireland.
(c) Applying for pension.
(d) Joining him in business.
9. What is the reason Rose returns to Ireland?
(a) To nurse her dying father.
(b) To work in the post office.
(c) To be with her children.
(d) To win the love of Moran.
10. Which word best describes how Moran feels about half of his children moving away?
11. What does McQuaid drink instead of the tea the girls make?
12. What is Rose's last name?
13. Half of Moran's children have left Ireland. Where have they gone?
(a) The United States of America.
14. What word best explains how Moran is acting in regards to his own possible death?
15. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
(a) Moran and Rose.
(b) McQuaid and Maggie.
(c) Moran and McQuaid.
(d) Moran and Maggie.
Short Answer Questions
1. After not seeing Rose at the post office, what does Moran do?
2. How do the girls react when McQuaid inquires about Luke?
3. How does Moran feel about the idea of marrying Rose?
4. The once strong Moran is now dealing with the irony of what?
5. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)