|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Half of Moran's children have left Ireland. Where have they gone?
(c) The United States of America.
2. What is Rose's first impression of Moran after they first meet?
(a) She finds him to be intelligent and attentive.
(b) She finds him to be loud and borish.
(c) She finds him to be mean and controlling.
(d) She finds him to be shy and secluded.
3. What does McQuaid chastise Moran for NOT doing after the war?
(a) Joining him in business.
(b) Leaving Ireland.
(c) Selling his farm.
(d) Applying for pension.
4. What is the relationship between Rose and Moran?
(a) Rose is Moran's second wife.
(b) Rose is Moran's mother.
(c) Rose is Moran's first wife.
(d) Rose is Moran's nurse.
5. How does Moran feel about Monaghan Days of past?
(a) They mean the world to him.
(b) They have no special meaning to him.
(c) He feels they are a good excuse to party.
(d) He feels it is a waste of time and effort.
6. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
7. What do the locals begin to gossip about in Section 3?
(a) Luke is moving home soon.
(b) Rose is going to break Moran's heart.
(c) Moran is leading Rose on.
(d) Rose making a fool of herself for love.
8. How does Rose meet Moran?
(a) Waiting for the mail at the post office.
(b) They go to the same deli.
(c) He ran into her on the street.
(d) They have mutual family friends.
9. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
10. What is the name of the farm that Moran and Rose live on?
(a) Great Meadow.
(b) Rolling Meadows.
(c) Rolling Hills.
(d) Great Hills.
11. Why does Moran constantly protest that nobody cares for him?
(a) So that his neighbors will have pity on him.
(b) To secure the attention of his daughters.
(c) So that McQuaid will stay longer.
(d) Because nobody actually does care about him.
12. What does Moran realize about McQuaid once his stay is over?
(a) Moran will one day be much wealthier than McQuaid.
(b) McQuaid is going to return to Great Meadow soon.
(c) McQuaid will most likely start a new business soon.
(d) Moran has lost his oldest and best friend.
13. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
(a) Says the Rosary.
(b) Turns out the lights.
(c) Drinks water.
(d) Brushes his teeth.
14. Who does Moran speak to about the possibility of introducing another woman into the household?
15. What excuse does Moran give as to why he invited McQuaid to the celebration?
(a) So McQuaid wouldn't be so lonely.
(b) So McQuaid would leave the house.
(c) Because he missed McQuaid.
(d) So McQuaid wouldn't drink himself stupid at the fair.
Short Answer Questions
1. The once strong Moran is now dealing with the irony of what?
2. McQuaid arrives to Great Meadow in the evening because he was doing what?
3. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
4. How does Moran explain life during the war compared to his life now?
5. Moran has a hatred and fear of what two things?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)