|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is growing frail so hard for Moran?
(a) He wants to re-enlist in the IRA.
(b) He is not growing frail at all.
(c) He can no longer work on the farm.
(d) He is used to being in control.
2. Moran fought for the IRA in the war. What does IRA stand for?
(a) International Rebel Alliance.
(b) Irish Rebel Alliance.
(c) International Republican Army.
(d) Irish Republican Army.
3. McQuaid arrives to Great Meadow in the evening because he was doing what?
(a) Working on his car.
(b) Saying goodbye to his family.
(c) Visiting other friends along the way.
(d) Selling his winter livestock.
4. Moran's daughters plan a surprise revival of what special day?
(a) Christmas Day.
(b) Monaghan Day.
(c) Moran's birthday.
(d) Moran and Rose's anniversary.
5. What topic threatens to sour the mood of Moran?
(a) The war.
(d) The Republic of Ireland.
6. What is the reason Rose returns to Ireland?
(a) To work in the post office.
(b) To nurse her dying father.
(c) To win the love of Moran.
(d) To be with her children.
7. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
(a) Brushes his teeth.
(b) Drinks water.
(c) Turns out the lights.
(d) Says the Rosary.
8. What excuse does Moran give as to why he invited McQuaid to the celebration?
(a) So McQuaid wouldn't be so lonely.
(b) So McQuaid would leave the house.
(c) Because he missed McQuaid.
(d) So McQuaid wouldn't drink himself stupid at the fair.
9. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
(a) That he has to leave early instead of staying the night.
(b) That he has divorced his wife and is courting again.
(c) That he lost all his money and needs a loan.
(d) That he is leaving Ireland and moving to England.
10. What does Moran realize about McQuaid once his stay is over?
(a) McQuaid is going to return to Great Meadow soon.
(b) McQuaid will most likely start a new business soon.
(c) Moran will one day be much wealthier than McQuaid.
(d) Moran has lost his oldest and best friend.
11. What does Moran complain about after asking Rose to marry him?
(a) Living with another woman.
(b) Rose's cooking.
(c) Giving up the single life.
(d) Paying for the reception.
12. What does McQuaid find overbearing about Moran's personality?
(a) Moran's treatment of women.
(b) Moran's praise of his children.
(c) Moran's constant need to be right.
(d) Moran's regret about post-war Ireland.
13. Moran has a hatred and fear of what two things?
(a) Rodents and birds.
(b) Thunder and lighting.
(c) Emotions and trust.
(d) Poverty and illness.
14. Which character enrages Moran by accidentally dropping a plate?
15. What does Moran tell McQuaid about Luke?
(a) Luke is still living at home.
(b) Moran is visiting Luke soon.
(c) Moran is proud of Luke.
(d) Luke left the house on bad terms.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughter's does Moran have?
2. What do Moran and McQuaid talk about during Monaghan Day?
3. How does Moran know McQuaid?
4. What is the name of the farm that Moran and Rose live on?
5. Why does Moran constantly protest that nobody cares for him?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)