|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Moran give as to why he invited McQuaid to the celebration?
(a) So McQuaid would leave the house.
(b) So McQuaid wouldn't drink himself stupid at the fair.
(c) So McQuaid wouldn't be so lonely.
(d) Because he missed McQuaid.
2. The last true Monaghan Day marks a time when the girls remember their father as what?
(a) Stressed and stubborn.
(b) Sick and dying.
(c) Easy-going and care-free.
(d) Strong and healthy.
3. Half of Moran's children have left Ireland. Where have they gone?
(a) The United States of America.
4. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
5. What is the name of the farm that Moran and Rose live on?
(a) Great Meadow.
(b) Great Hills.
(c) Rolling Meadows.
(d) Rolling Hills.
6. McQuaid is quite successful despite his lack of what?
(b) Family support.
(c) Business sense.
7. What does Moran realize about McQuaid once his stay is over?
(a) Moran will one day be much wealthier than McQuaid.
(b) Moran has lost his oldest and best friend.
(c) McQuaid is going to return to Great Meadow soon.
(d) McQuaid will most likely start a new business soon.
8. Why is growing frail so hard for Moran?
(a) He is not growing frail at all.
(b) He wants to re-enlist in the IRA.
(c) He is used to being in control.
(d) He can no longer work on the farm.
9. What does Moran complain about after asking Rose to marry him?
(a) Giving up the single life.
(b) Living with another woman.
(c) Rose's cooking.
(d) Paying for the reception.
10. How does Moran react when the girls bring up some of the stories they have heard spoken of about Monaghan Days past?
(a) He gets angry and asks them to stop talking.
(b) He ignores them and pretends he didn't hear them talking.
(c) He gets embarrassed and quiet.
(d) He speaks openly about the horrors of the war.
11. What does Moran realize about Rose once McQuaid leaves Great Meadows?
(a) Moran will marry Rose.
(b) Rose is in love with McQuaid.
(c) Moran can't stand Rose.
(d) Rose is just a good friend.
12. When McQuaid leaves he says, "Some people can not bear to come in second", to whom is he referring?
13. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
(a) His kids moving away.
(b) His house burning down.
(c) The war.
(d) The loss of his first wife.
14. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
15. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
(a) That he is leaving Ireland and moving to England.
(b) That he has divorced his wife and is courting again.
(c) That he lost all his money and needs a loan.
(d) That he has to leave early instead of staying the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Moran feel about Monaghan Days of past?
2. How does Rose feel about the idea of a revival of Monaghan Day?
3. Where did Rose work prior to returning to Ireland?
4. Despite having less money and worldly possessions; what makes Moran feel superior to McQuaid?
5. What did Rose have plenty of in her younger days?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)