|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of work did Rose do before she returned to Ireland?
2. What does McQuaid find overbearing about Moran's personality?
(a) Moran's regret about post-war Ireland.
(b) Moran's constant need to be right.
(c) Moran's treatment of women.
(d) Moran's praise of his children.
3. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
(a) The war.
(b) The loss of his first wife.
(c) His kids moving away.
(d) His house burning down.
4. Which character enrages Moran by accidentally dropping a plate?
5. After not seeing Rose at the post office, what does Moran do?
(a) Moran calls Rose at home.
(b) Moran believes Rose hates him.
(c) Moran sends Rose a letter.
(d) Moran gives up and finds a new woman.
6. What do the girls do when Moran is finally out of ear-shot?
(a) Talk about moving out of Great Meadow.
(b) Mimick his ill-tempered actions.
(c) Plan his surprise birthday party.
(d) Begin to bake Moran's favorite dessert.
7. Moran fought for the IRA in the war. What does IRA stand for?
(a) International Republican Army.
(b) Irish Republican Army.
(c) International Rebel Alliance.
(d) Irish Rebel Alliance.
8. What two things does McQuaid compliment as he sits with Moran?
(a) The house and the curtains.
(b) Moran and the weather.
(c) The beverages and the furniture.
(d) The girls and the meal.
9. What word best describes Moran's feelings about the wedding?
10. The once strong Moran is now dealing with the irony of what?
(a) Becoming poor while his wife becomes rich.
(b) Falling in love and needing to be sensitive.
(c) Fighting with family instead of enemies of war.
(d) Growing weak while his family gets stronger.
11. How does the Moran family react to Rose?
(a) They accept her.
(b) They think she is after Moran's money.
(c) They reject her.
(d) They think she is not trust-worthy.
12. What word best explains how Moran is acting in regards to his own possible death?
13. How does Moran explain life during the war compared to his life now?
(a) Simple and clear.
(b) Exhausting and sleepless.
(c) Dangerous and crazy.
(d) Fast-paced and action-packed.
14. What does McQuaid drink instead of the tea the girls make?
15. How do the children react to Rose?
(a) They dislike her and try to get her to leave.
(b) They take to her and integrate her into the family.
(c) They are indifferent and ignore her.
(d) They rarely visit with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
2. What is the reason Rose returns to Ireland?
3. Why is Moran so annoyed by McQuaid's car?
4. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
5. What do Moran and McQuaid talk about during Monaghan Day?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)