|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
(a) That he has divorced his wife and is courting again.
(b) That he has to leave early instead of staying the night.
(c) That he is leaving Ireland and moving to England.
(d) That he lost all his money and needs a loan.
2. How are the daughters reacting to Moran's possible death?
3. What does McQuaid drink instead of the tea the girls make?
4. What does Rose know about Moran before she even meets him?
(a) Moran is a heroic war veteran.
(b) Moran is a widower raising children alone.
(c) Moran is rich man with a lot of land.
(d) Moran is a ladies man who is not to be trusted.
5. What word best explains how Moran is acting in regards to his own possible death?
6. What term is used to describe the rumors floating around about Moran?
(a) "False assumptions".
(b) "Eloborate tales".
(c) "Hushed secrets".
(d) "Dark mutterings".
7. What does Moran praise McQuaid for?
(a) His keen memory.
(b) His savvy business sense.
(c) His dapper attire.
(d) His fancy car.
8. While Moran is quite mean with money; what word best describes how Rose is with money?
9. How does Moran feel about the idea of marrying Rose?
(a) Moran is nervous about what his daughters will think.
(b) Moran can't wait to marry Rose.
(c) Moran isn't planning on marrying Rose.
(d) Moran resents the idea.
10. What does Moran shoot with his shotgun?
(a) A bird.
(b) A can.
(c) A window.
(d) A dog.
11. What type of work did Rose do before she returned to Ireland?
12. Which character enrages Moran by accidentally dropping a plate?
13. Who, in particular, thinks Rose is making a mistake by entertaining Moran?
(a) Rose's mother.
(b) Moran's son, Luke.
(d) Moran's daughters.
14. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
(a) The cattle business.
(b) Farming potatos.
(c) The used car business.
(d) The stock market.
15. What seems to be foreshadowed about Moran's health in the first few paragraphs of the book?
(a) Moran has an inccurrable illness.
(b) Moran is getting stronger.
(c) Moran is losing his mind.
(d) Moran is growing weaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Moran fear that lead to his marriage to Rose?
2. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
3. What do the locals begin to gossip about in Section 3?
4. Despite the fact that he asks for the opinions of others, what does Moran usually do?
5. How do the girls react when McQuaid inquires about Luke?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)