|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The last true observance of Monaghan Day also marks the end of a relationship between which two characters?
(a) Moran and McQuaid.
(b) Moran and Maggie.
(c) McQuaid and Maggie.
(d) Moran and Rose.
2. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
(a) His house burning down.
(b) His kids moving away.
(c) The war.
(d) The loss of his first wife.
3. What did Rose have plenty of in her younger days?
(a) Male suitors.
(d) Job opportunities.
4. What is the main topic of conversation between Moran and McQuaid?
(a) Their families.
(b) The war.
(c) The weather.
(d) The economy.
5. How is Rose handling Moran's possible death?
(a) She is quietly preparing for it.
(b) She is frantic.
(c) She is acting like it won't ever happen.
(d) She has not given it any thought.
6. Despite having less money and worldly possessions; what makes Moran feel superior to McQuaid?
(a) Moran feels that McQuaid is superior.
(b) Moran's home and farm: Great Meadow.
(c) Moran's heroics during the war.
(d) Moran's devotion to his family.
7. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
(a) To make conversation with Moran.
(b) To make sure her mail is not lost.
(c) So that she has an excuse to leave the house.
(d) So that she can learn how to be a mail carrier.
8. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
(a) Says the Rosary.
(b) Drinks water.
(c) Brushes his teeth.
(d) Turns out the lights.
9. What rumor does McQuaid bring up about Moran?
(a) Moran is courting again.
(b) Moran is bankrupt.
(c) Moran is dying.
(d) Moran is planning to move.
10. What did Moran fear that lead to his marriage to Rose?
(a) Growing old and alone.
(b) Going bankrupt.
(c) His children moving away.
(d) Another upcoming war.
11. What does Moran shoot with his shotgun?
(a) A dog.
(b) A window.
(c) A can.
(d) A bird.
12. What does Moran realize about Rose once McQuaid leaves Great Meadows?
(a) Moran will marry Rose.
(b) Moran can't stand Rose.
(c) Rose is in love with McQuaid.
(d) Rose is just a good friend.
13. What is Rose's first impression of Moran after they first meet?
(a) She finds him to be loud and borish.
(b) She finds him to be mean and controlling.
(c) She finds him to be shy and secluded.
(d) She finds him to be intelligent and attentive.
14. What is Rose's last name?
15. Who helps Rose sneak something into the wardrobe?
(a) Her step-daughters.
(b) Her mother.
(c) She does it alone.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Moran has a hatred and fear of what two things?
2. Why is growing frail so hard for Moran?
3. What does McQuaid find overbearing about Moran's personality?
4. What business has made McQuaid so successful after the war?
5. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)