|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
(a) To make sure her mail is not lost.
(b) So that she can learn how to be a mail carrier.
(c) To make conversation with Moran.
(d) So that she has an excuse to leave the house.
2. Why is growing frail so hard for Moran?
(a) He wants to re-enlist in the IRA.
(b) He can no longer work on the farm.
(c) He is not growing frail at all.
(d) He is used to being in control.
3. What does Moran tell McQuaid about Luke?
(a) Luke left the house on bad terms.
(b) Moran is proud of Luke.
(c) Luke is still living at home.
(d) Moran is visiting Luke soon.
4. Which word best expresses Moran's feelings towards how the independent Ireland turned out?
5. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
6. After what event does Moran have trouble adjusting?
(a) His house burning down.
(b) The loss of his first wife.
(c) The war.
(d) His kids moving away.
7. What do the girls do when Moran is finally out of ear-shot?
(a) Talk about moving out of Great Meadow.
(b) Plan his surprise birthday party.
(c) Begin to bake Moran's favorite dessert.
(d) Mimick his ill-tempered actions.
8. What does McQuaid chastise Moran for NOT doing after the war?
(a) Selling his farm.
(b) Applying for pension.
(c) Joining him in business.
(d) Leaving Ireland.
9. What lie does McQuaid tell Moran at the end of their discussion?
(a) That he is leaving Ireland and moving to England.
(b) That he has to leave early instead of staying the night.
(c) That he has divorced his wife and is courting again.
(d) That he lost all his money and needs a loan.
10. Which word best describes how Moran feels about half of his children moving away?
11. After not seeing Rose at the post office, what does Moran do?
(a) Moran calls Rose at home.
(b) Moran believes Rose hates him.
(c) Moran sends Rose a letter.
(d) Moran gives up and finds a new woman.
12. What is the relationship between Rose and Moran?
(a) Rose is Moran's first wife.
(b) Rose is Moran's second wife.
(c) Rose is Moran's nurse.
(d) Rose is Moran's mother.
13. What is the main topic of conversation between Moran and McQuaid?
(a) The weather.
(b) The war.
(c) Their families.
(d) The economy.
14. Who helps Rose sneak something into the wardrobe?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her step-daughters.
(c) Her mother.
(d) She does it alone.
15. Which character enrages Moran by accidentally dropping a plate?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the children react to Rose?
2. Saying the Rosary is significant in what religion?
3. What did Moran fear that lead to his marriage to Rose?
4. Which two characters prepare the house for the big celebration?
5. What does McQuaid drink instead of the tea the girls make?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)