|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does McQuaid drink instead of the tea the girls make?
2. What does McQuaid find overbearing about Moran's personality?
(a) Moran's praise of his children.
(b) Moran's constant need to be right.
(c) Moran's treatment of women.
(d) Moran's regret about post-war Ireland.
3. What do Moran and McQuaid talk about during Monaghan Day?
(a) Their jobs.
(c) Their kids.
(d) Old war stories.
4. What seems to be foreshadowed about Moran's health in the first few paragraphs of the book?
(a) Moran is losing his mind.
(b) Moran has an inccurrable illness.
(c) Moran is getting stronger.
(d) Moran is growing weaker.
5. What is the name of the farm that Moran and Rose live on?
(a) Great Hills.
(b) Rolling Meadows.
(c) Rolling Hills.
(d) Great Meadow.
6. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
(a) Says the Rosary.
(b) Drinks water.
(c) Brushes his teeth.
(d) Turns out the lights.
7. How does Moran react when the girls bring up some of the stories they have heard spoken of about Monaghan Days past?
(a) He speaks openly about the horrors of the war.
(b) He gets angry and asks them to stop talking.
(c) He ignores them and pretends he didn't hear them talking.
(d) He gets embarrassed and quiet.
8. What excuse does Moran give as to why he invited McQuaid to the celebration?
(a) So McQuaid would leave the house.
(b) Because he missed McQuaid.
(c) So McQuaid wouldn't drink himself stupid at the fair.
(d) So McQuaid wouldn't be so lonely.
9. What is the relationship between Rose and Moran?
(a) Rose is Moran's mother.
(b) Rose is Moran's second wife.
(c) Rose is Moran's nurse.
(d) Rose is Moran's first wife.
10. What word best explains how Moran is acting in regards to his own possible death?
11. What word best describes Rose's mothers feelings about the marriage?
12. Why is growing frail so hard for Moran?
(a) He can no longer work on the farm.
(b) He wants to re-enlist in the IRA.
(c) He is not growing frail at all.
(d) He is used to being in control.
13. How is Rose handling Moran's possible death?
(a) She is acting like it won't ever happen.
(b) She is quietly preparing for it.
(c) She has not given it any thought.
(d) She is frantic.
14. What is the main topic of conversation between Moran and McQuaid?
(a) The economy.
(b) Their families.
(c) The weather.
(d) The war.
15. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rose stop going to the post office?
2. How are the daughters reacting to Moran's possible death?
3. What does Rose know about Moran before she even meets him?
4. What do Rose and her sister sneak into the house?
5. How does Moran feel about Monaghan Days of past?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)