|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rose know about Moran before she even meets him?
(a) Moran is a widower raising children alone.
(b) Moran is a ladies man who is not to be trusted.
(c) Moran is a heroic war veteran.
(d) Moran is rich man with a lot of land.
2. What seems to be foreshadowed about Moran's health in the first few paragraphs of the book?
(a) Moran is growing weaker.
(b) Moran has an inccurrable illness.
(c) Moran is getting stronger.
(d) Moran is losing his mind.
3. Which character heads to bed early by pretending to be sick?
4. What ritual does Moran do every night before bed?
(a) Says the Rosary.
(b) Brushes his teeth.
(c) Turns out the lights.
(d) Drinks water.
5. What excuse does Moran give as to why he invited McQuaid to the celebration?
(a) So McQuaid wouldn't be so lonely.
(b) Because he missed McQuaid.
(c) So McQuaid wouldn't drink himself stupid at the fair.
(d) So McQuaid would leave the house.
6. Half of Moran's children have left Ireland. Where have they gone?
(a) The United States of America.
7. What is Moran's first name?
8. What term is used to describe the rumors floating around about Moran?
(a) "False assumptions".
(b) "Eloborate tales".
(c) "Hushed secrets".
(d) "Dark mutterings".
9. Which two characters prepare the house for the big celebration?
(a) Sheila and Mona.
(b) Moran and McQuaid.
(c) Mona and Maggie.
(d) Maggie and Rose.
10. How do the girls react when McQuaid inquires about Luke?
(a) They get tense.
(b) They are excited to share.
(c) They don't know who Luke is.
(d) They get angry.
11. What word best describes the language McQuaid uses around his wife?
12. Moran's daughters plan a surprise revival of what special day?
(a) Monaghan Day.
(b) Moran and Rose's anniversary.
(c) Christmas Day.
(d) Moran's birthday.
13. What does Moran complain about after asking Rose to marry him?
(a) Paying for the reception.
(b) Giving up the single life.
(c) Living with another woman.
(d) Rose's cooking.
14. Why does Moran constantly protest that nobody cares for him?
(a) To secure the attention of his daughters.
(b) So that McQuaid will stay longer.
(c) So that his neighbors will have pity on him.
(d) Because nobody actually does care about him.
15. What topic threatens to sour the mood of Moran?
(b) The Republic of Ireland.
(c) The war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Moran so annoyed by McQuaid's car?
2. What does McQuaid chastise Moran for NOT doing after the war?
3. Why does Rose make a habit of joining the evening mail group?
4. How does Rose feel about the idea of a revival of Monaghan Day?
5. What does Moran realize about McQuaid once his stay is over?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)