Section 1 (pages 1 - 8)
* The Moran girls are visiting Great Meadow (their childhood home) to cheer up their ailing father, Michael Moran, Sr.
* Michael Moran, Sr. (Moran) and his old army buddy ,McQuaid spend the day retelling old war stories
* The three daughters, Mona, Sheila, and Maggie, try desperately to keep the conversation away from their absent brother, Luke.
* Although the Monaghan Day celebration is usually Moran's favorite day, he is old and ill and unamused with the day's events.
* Moran spends the day complaining about how life was more simple during the war.
* Rose, Moran's second wife, hides a Franciscan robe in the wardrobe so Moran won't find it.
Section 2 (pages 8-22)
* Section 2 is a flashback to the last real Monaghan Day celebration, which unfolds much like the day described in Section 1, but Moran is much younger and more in control.
* McQuaid talks about business and we learn...
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)