|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the woman who screams in the crowd in "Turin"?
2. What is Buford's reaction to what happens to the man who falls at the beginning of the novel?
3. What happens to the Italian boy that braves the square in hope to practice his English in "Turin"?
4. Why is Buford amazed by the men in ICJ he meet in "Turin".
5. What does Buford mean when he says the man he meets in "Manchester" is well off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Buford realize about members of the firm at the pub, Brunswick, in "Sunderland and Manchester"?
2. What does Buford notice about the flight to Turin that ends up proving himself wrong?
3. What does Buford learn about those traveling on his flight to Turin in "Manchester"?
4. Who is Michael Wicks, and what is he doing as Buford exits the plane in "Turin"?
5. Why are Buford's friends surprised at Buford's reaction to the crowd's behavior at the train station?
6. Explain what it means to be "on the jib."
7. What happens to the Italian boy who goes into the crowd to practice his English in "Turin"?
8. What does Mick say makes a good leader within the ICJ?
9. Explain what the "simple squeeze" and "the shove" are.
10. What is the return flight from Turin to England like at the end of "Turin"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the chapter "Turin," how do the English fans behave toward the Italians? What is Buford's reaction to the supporters' behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between politics and that of the mentality of the crowd. How does Buford support or refute this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the following terms and how they relate to European football: a firm, thug, the Inner City Jibbers, "going off."
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)