|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the man that falls at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is murdered.
(b) He is taken home.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He is given food.
2. Where does Buford go to find a "firm" in "A Station Outside Cardiff"?
(a) Stafford Road.
(b) Stamford Bridge.
(c) Stamford Lane.
(d) Samford Canal.
3. Why does Buford quickly realize after he sees the man fall in, "A Station Outside Cardiff"?
(a) He sees the violence is not random and is intentional.
(b) That he needs to leave and go home.
(c) That the city supports this behavior.
(d) That he is in over his head.
4. How do Buford and the Italians feel as they watch the English outside the square in "Turin"?
(a) Ready to fight back.
(b) Disgruntled and appalled.
(d) Fascinated and in awe.
5. What does Buford realize about the man he meets in "Manchester"?
(a) That he is very important to the ICJ.
(b) That he is a crook.
(c) That he trusts him.
(d) That he is a good man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the shove"?
2. What is Buford's reaction to what happens to the man who falls at the beginning of the novel?
3. How does Buford feel about the crowds at the games at the end of "A Station Outside Cardiff"?
4. Who is Sammy and what does he do?
5. What does it mean when a person is on the "jib"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what it means to be "on the jib."
2. What does Buford realize about members of the firm at the pub, Brunswick, in "Sunderland and Manchester"?
3. Who is Michael Wicks, and what is he doing as Buford exits the plane in "Turin"?
4. Why does the Italian army arrive and escort them to the match in "Turin"?
5. Briefly describe Mick, the man Buford meets in "Manchester."
6. What happens when Buford waits at a train station in "A Station Outside Cardiff"?
7. What does Steve believe in "Sunderland and Manchester"?
8. What does the police superintendent R. McAllister want to discuss with Buford at the beginning of "Sunderland and Manchester"?
9. How does Buford feel about the crowd at the end "A Station Outside Cardiff"?
10. What is the purpose Buford has for writing "Among the Thugs"?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)