|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Jen about Luke's family in Chapter 16?
2. Luke learns that Jen was killed at the rally, how does he react?
3. Why was Jen's father able to take Jen's body?
4. What does Luke suggest that his mother do in Chapter 25?
5. What type of people does Luke tell Jen change the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
2. How does Luke's new identity empower him?
3. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
4. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
5. How was Jen killed?
6. Why does Luke log onto Jen's family's computer after he breaks into their house?
7. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
8. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
9. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
10. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police to get them to leave his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)