|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Luke agree to come to the rally with Jen?
2. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the first day after he meets her?
3. How many times does Luke visit Jen in February?
4. How was Jen's mom able to take her shopping with her?
5. What does Luke have to do after he breaks into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke log onto Jen's family's computer after he breaks into their house?
2. What does Jen do with the mirrors in her house to help her see out the windows?
3. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
4. How does Luke lull himself into a false sense of security in Chapter 21?
5. What does Jen tell Luke about when she was younger and going to play groups with other third children?
6. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
7. Why does Jen's father believe the Government keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
8. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
9. What does Luke tell Jen when she comes to his room the night she leaves to the rally?
10. What Government propaganda has Luke's family completely believed in that shocks Jen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of seclusion in the novel and how it pertains to Luke's state of mind. What is seclusion? How can it affect a person's state of mind? How does Luke's seclusion make him act? Why can't Luke eat at the kitchen table with his family? How does this add to his seclusion? How does Luke cope with his seclusion?
Essay Topic 2
The reason for Luke and Jen being shadow children is made clear in the novel, "Among the Hidden" -- the country faced a crisis of overpopulation and famine. The government reacted to the crisis with the Population Law, where no one is allowed more than two children. Analyze the theme of overpopulation. What does the Government in this novel give for the reason of the Population Law? Compare the world in "Among the Hidden" to how the world is today. Is our world headed in that direction?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)