|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke log on to Jen's computer after he breaks into her house?
2. Why does Jen believe there are not enough babies being born anymore?
3. What does Luke agonize over the three days after he refuses to go with Jen to the rally?
4. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police he was doing on his computer?
5. In Chapter 17, how many days does Luke wait for another opportunity to sneak over to Jen's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jen's dad inform Luke that he is now in danger of the Population Police?
2. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
3. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
4. How does Luke answer Jen's father when he asks Luke why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
5. Why does Luke log onto Jen's family's computer after he breaks into their house?
6. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
7. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
8. How does Luke lull himself into a false sense of security in Chapter 21?
9. Why does Jen's father believe the Government keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
10. How does Luke's new identity empower him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen helps Luke see that not everyone believes every law is right and he is given his first spark of hope that maybe it is not wrong for him to exist. Explore the theme of hope throughout "Among the Hidden". Why didn't Luke have any hope before he met Jen? Why does Luke's meeting Jen give him hope of a better life? What does Jen hope for? Why is hope such an important theme? Are Jen's parents more hopeful than Luke's?
Essay Topic 2
Luke started out the story as a scared, powerless twelve-year-old who had no hope of ever living a normal life. Throughout the book he goes through a tremendous change and is no longer that same person at the end. Explore the theme of coming of age, and analysis the changes in Luke's character. What does coming of age mean? How did meeting Jen change Luke's life? How have Luke's ideals and goals changed? What has Luke learned about himself and life?
Essay Topic 3
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)