|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Jen's mom able to take her shopping with her?
2. How does Jen's father react after Luke explains how he found out about Jen?
3. How many kids does Jen really think will show up at her rally?
4. What does Jen plan on doing at the rally she is organizing?
5. What does the Government spend a great deal of money trying to convince people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
2. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
3. How does Luke's new identity empower him?
4. What does Jen do with the mirrors in her house to help her see out the windows?
5. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
6. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
7. What does Luke tell Jen when she comes to his room the night she leaves to the rally?
8. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
9. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
10. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
Essay Topic 3
The reason for Luke and Jen being shadow children is made clear in the novel, "Among the Hidden" -- the country faced a crisis of overpopulation and famine. The government reacted to the crisis with the Population Law, where no one is allowed more than two children. Analyze the theme of overpopulation. What does the Government in this novel give for the reason of the Population Law? Compare the world in "Among the Hidden" to how the world is today. Is our world headed in that direction?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)