|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jen plan on getting to the rally that she has planned?
2. What do Jen and Luke do while he's at her house in Chapter 21?
3. How did Jen perform a background check on Luke?
4. What does Luke learn about from the books that Jen has given him that he mentions to his dad?
5. How did Jen feel about her father working at the Population Police headquarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
2. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
3. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
4. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
5. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
6. How does Luke lull himself into a false sense of security in Chapter 21?
7. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
8. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
9. What signal have Luke and Jen arranged so that Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
10. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke started out the story as a scared, powerless twelve-year-old who had no hope of ever living a normal life. Throughout the book he goes through a tremendous change and is no longer that same person at the end. Explore the theme of coming of age, and analysis the changes in Luke's character. What does coming of age mean? How did meeting Jen change Luke's life? How have Luke's ideals and goals changed? What has Luke learned about himself and life?
Essay Topic 2
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)