|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jen's father put him hand over Luke's mouth after the Population Police leave?
2. Why was Jen's father able to take Jen's body?
3. Jen's father explains that he only works at the Population Police headquarters; he does not agree with what they do. What does he try to do while he's at work?
4. What kind of Government does Jen's father say they have?
5. Jen sends Luke home with a bunch of books. What is the name of the book Luke struggles to read?
Essay Topic 1
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the concept of Freedom in "Among the Hidden" and what it means to the different characters. Where does freedom pertain to the novel? How do Jen and Luke feel about freedom? Does Luke think of Jen as already being relatively free? How important is it to have freedom in life? Does Jen's family have more freedom than Luke's family because they are Barons?
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)