|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jen's father admits he works for the Population Police. How does Luke react?
2. Why does Jen's father put him hand over Luke's mouth after the Population Police leave?
3. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the second day after he meets her?
4. After Jen's father demands to know why Luke didn't stop Jen from going to the rally, how does Luke respond?
5. How old was Jen when she began using her family's computer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
2. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
3. Why does Jen's dad inform Luke that he is now in danger of the Population Police?
4. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
5. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
6. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
7. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
8. What does Jen tell Luke about when she was younger and going to play groups with other third children?
9. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
10. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen helps Luke see that not everyone believes every law is right and he is given his first spark of hope that maybe it is not wrong for him to exist. Explore the theme of hope throughout "Among the Hidden". Why didn't Luke have any hope before he met Jen? Why does Luke's meeting Jen give him hope of a better life? What does Jen hope for? Why is hope such an important theme? Are Jen's parents more hopeful than Luke's?
Essay Topic 2
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
Essay Topic 3
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)