|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jen's father able to take Jen's body?
2. What does the Government spend a great deal of money trying to convince people?
3. Why is Jen upset with the other children in the online chat room in Chapter 20?
4. What does Jen's dad thrust Luke into when the Population Police pound on his front door?
5. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the first day after he meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
2. Why does Luke log onto Jen's family's computer after he breaks into their house?
3. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police to get them to leave his house?
4. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
5. How was Jen killed?
6. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
7. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
8. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
9. Why does Jen's father believe the Government keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
10. What Government propaganda has Luke's family completely believed in that shocks Jen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
Essay Topic 2
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 3
The reason for Luke and Jen being shadow children is made clear in the novel, "Among the Hidden" -- the country faced a crisis of overpopulation and famine. The government reacted to the crisis with the Population Law, where no one is allowed more than two children. Analyze the theme of overpopulation. What does the Government in this novel give for the reason of the Population Law? Compare the world in "Among the Hidden" to how the world is today. Is our world headed in that direction?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)