|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the kids at the rally were killed, where did their blood run into?
2. How many times does Luke visit Jen in March?
3. Why is the Government forbidding Luke's dad from doing a particular thing in Chapter 21?
4. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the second day after he meets her?
5. How many times has Jen's mom been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen tell Luke about when she was younger and going to play groups with other third children?
2. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
3. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
4. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
5. What are the practical differences between Luke and Jen's families?
6. Why does Jen's father believe the Government keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
7. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
8. What Government propaganda has Luke's family completely believed in that shocks Jen?
9. How was Jen killed?
10. How does Luke answer Jen's father when he asks Luke why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen helps Luke see that not everyone believes every law is right and he is given his first spark of hope that maybe it is not wrong for him to exist. Explore the theme of hope throughout "Among the Hidden". Why didn't Luke have any hope before he met Jen? Why does Luke's meeting Jen give him hope of a better life? What does Jen hope for? Why is hope such an important theme? Are Jen's parents more hopeful than Luke's?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 3
In "Among the Hidden", one of the writing styles the author uses is her choice of narrator. The author uses a third-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing. How important is the narrator to the story? Why does the particular type of narrator Margaret Peterson Haddix chose for "Among the Hidden" such a good choice? How does knowing Luke's thoughts and feelings help the story along?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)