|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Jen about Luke's family in Chapter 16?
2. What does Luke sneak into the kitchen for the day of the rally?
3. What does Jen's father offer to do for Luke in Chapter 27?
4. Why does Luke watch Jen's house obsessively for the days after the rally?
5. How is Jen able to check outside for Luke's signal without being seen every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
2. Why does Luke log onto Jen's family's computer after he breaks into their house?
3. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
4. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
5. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
6. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
7. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
8. What Government propaganda has Luke's family completely believed in that shocks Jen?
9. What does Luke tell Jen when she comes to his room the night she leaves to the rally?
10. How was Jen killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)