|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Luke visit Jen in February?
2. What time does Jen want Luke to leave with her to the rally?
3. What does Jen's dad thrust Luke into when the Population Police pound on his front door?
4. Why is the Government forbidding Luke's dad from doing a particular thing in Chapter 21?
5. What are the names of Jen's chat room friends that Luke is introduced to in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the practical differences between Luke and Jen's families?
2. How does Luke's new identity empower him?
3. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
4. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
5. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
6. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
7. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
8. How does Jen's mother take her shopping?
9. What does Luke tell Jen when she comes to his room the night she leaves to the rally?
10. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 3
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)