|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jen say to Luke after he tells her he will see her after the rally?
2. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the second day after he meets her?
3. How did Jen feel about her father working at the Population Police headquarters?
4. What kind of food does Jen share with Luke that shocks him because both items are illegal?
5. How many times does Luke visit Jen in February?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
2. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
3. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
4. What does Jen tell Luke about when she was younger and going to play groups with other third children?
5. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
6. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
7. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
8. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
9. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
10. What does Luke tell Jen when she comes to his room the night she leaves to the rally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's family displays a startling lack of empathy for his position, while Luke is a highly empathetic child. Analyze the concept of empathy throughout the novel. What examples from the book demonstrate the lack of empathy Luke's family has for his situation? How does Luke's father and brothers treat him versus his mother? How does Luke show empathy for his mother?
Essay Topic 3
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)