|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food does Jen share with Luke that shocks him because both items are illegal?
2. What does Jen's father have pointed at Luke when he discovers him in his house?
3. What amazes Jen about Luke's family in Chapter 16?
4. What does Luke's mom think of his suggestion to her in Chapter 25?
5. Jen's father informs Luke that he is now in danger too. Why is Luke in danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
2. What Government propaganda has Luke's family completely believed in that shocks Jen?
3. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
4. How does Luke's new identity empower him?
5. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
6. What are the practical differences between Luke and Jen's families?
7. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
8. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
9. What signal have Luke and Jen arranged so that Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
10. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the concept of Freedom in "Among the Hidden" and what it means to the different characters. Where does freedom pertain to the novel? How do Jen and Luke feel about freedom? Does Luke think of Jen as already being relatively free? How important is it to have freedom in life? Does Jen's family have more freedom than Luke's family because they are Barons?
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)