|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luke answer Jen's question about his brothers in Chapter 21?
2. Why does Luke watch Jen's house obsessively for the days after the rally?
3. How many times does Luke visit Jen in March?
4. How does Jen plan on getting to the rally that she has planned?
5. Why does Jen believe there are not enough babies being born anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
2. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
3. How does Luke answer Jen's father when he asks Luke why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
4. What are the practical differences between Luke and Jen's families?
5. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
6. What does Jen do with the mirrors in her house to help her see out the windows?
7. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
8. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
9. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
10. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of courage and compare how it affects Jen and Luke differently. What is courage? What does Luke do during the novel that shows his courage? Is Jen considered courageous? How does Luke's courage differ from Jen's courage?
Essay Topic 2
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)