|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jen when she began using her family's computer?
2. How many kids does Jen really think will show up at her rally?
3. Why is Jen upset with the other children in the online chat room in Chapter 20?
4. What does Jen's father have pointed at Luke when he discovers him in his house?
5. Jen's father admits he works for the Population Police. How does Luke react?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen tell Luke about when she was younger and going to play groups with other third children?
2. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
3. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
4. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
5. How does Jen's mother take her shopping?
6. What signal have Luke and Jen arranged so that Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
7. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
8. What does Jen do with the mirrors in her house to help her see out the windows?
9. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
10. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
Essay Topic 3
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)