|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke sneak into the kitchen for the day of the rally?
2. What does Jen call Luke for not wanting to go to the rally?
3. Why does Jen's father put him hand over Luke's mouth after the Population Police leave?
4. When Jen was younger, where did her mom take her to meet other third children?
5. Luke finally signals Jen on the third day after he meets her; what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
2. How was Jen killed?
3. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
4. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
5. Why does Jen's dad inform Luke that he is now in danger of the Population Police?
6. How does Luke's new identity empower him?
7. What are the practical differences between Luke and Jen's families?
8. How does Luke answer Jen's father when he asks Luke why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
9. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
10. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)