|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jen do every time she sees Luke?
2. Why did the Government make it illegal to have pets?
3. What kind of food does Jen share with Luke that shocks him because both items are illegal?
4. Why does Jen believe there are not enough babies being born anymore?
5. What attribute does Luke realize he has that will make him more able than Jen to help other shadow children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the concept of Freedom in "Among the Hidden" and what it means to the different characters. Where does freedom pertain to the novel? How do Jen and Luke feel about freedom? Does Luke think of Jen as already being relatively free? How important is it to have freedom in life? Does Jen's family have more freedom than Luke's family because they are Barons?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)