|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Jen want Luke to leave with her to the rally?
2. Why does Luke watch Jen's house obsessively for the days after the rally?
3. Jen sends Luke home with a bunch of books. What is the name of the book Luke struggles to read?
4. What does Jen use that allows her to go shopping?
5. Jen's father explains that he only works at the Population Police headquarters; he does not agree with what they do. What does he try to do while he's at work?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's mother is a very important character in "Among the Hidden". She is the one person who truly seems to care about how Luke feels, yet she is unable to stand up to Luke's father when he lays down unfair rules. Analyze the character of Luke's mother, comparing how she treats him versus his father's treatment, and how it affects Luke. How does Luke's mother treat him? Why did Luke's mother wait until he was 6 to tell him about the Population Law? Why doesn't Luke's mother stick up for him when his father treats him unfairly? Is Luke's mother considerate of his situation and feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's family displays a startling lack of empathy for his position, while Luke is a highly empathetic child. Analyze the concept of empathy throughout the novel. What examples from the book demonstrate the lack of empathy Luke's family has for his situation? How does Luke's father and brothers treat him versus his mother? How does Luke show empathy for his mother?
This section contains 1,628 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)