|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke watch Jen's house obsessively for the days after the rally?
2. What amazes Jen about Luke's family in Chapter 16?
3. Why does Jen's father believe that the government intentionally keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
4. Why does Luke's family have a hard time deciphering the meaning of the letter from the Government?
5. What do Jen and Luke do while he's at her house in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
2. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
3. How does Luke lull himself into a false sense of security in Chapter 21?
4. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police to get them to leave his house?
5. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
6. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
7. What Government propaganda has Luke's family completely believed in that shocks Jen?
8. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
9. How does Luke answer Jen's father when he asks Luke why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
10. Why does Jen's dad inform Luke that he is now in danger of the Population Police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 2
Jen helps Luke see that not everyone believes every law is right and he is given his first spark of hope that maybe it is not wrong for him to exist. Explore the theme of hope throughout "Among the Hidden". Why didn't Luke have any hope before he met Jen? Why does Luke's meeting Jen give him hope of a better life? What does Jen hope for? Why is hope such an important theme? Are Jen's parents more hopeful than Luke's?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)