|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Jen's death been especially hard for her family?
2. What word does Jen use as a password for her online chat room?
3. Jen's father admits he works for the Population Police. How does Luke react?
4. What did Jen do to make sure no policemen stop her on her way to the rally?
5. What does Jen ask Luke about his brothers in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
2. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
3. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
4. How was Jen killed?
5. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
6. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
7. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
8. What does Jen do with the mirrors in her house to help her see out the windows?
9. What signal have Luke and Jen arranged so that Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
10. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke started out the story as a scared, powerless twelve-year-old who had no hope of ever living a normal life. Throughout the book he goes through a tremendous change and is no longer that same person at the end. Explore the theme of coming of age, and analysis the changes in Luke's character. What does coming of age mean? How did meeting Jen change Luke's life? How have Luke's ideals and goals changed? What has Luke learned about himself and life?
Essay Topic 2
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)