|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jen upset with the other children in the online chat room in Chapter 20?
2. How does Luke break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
3. Jen's father explains that he only works at the Population Police headquarters; he does not agree with what they do. What does he try to do while he's at work?
4. What does Jen do every time she sees Luke?
5. What kind of Government does Jen's father say they have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police to get them to leave his house?
2. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
3. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
4. What are the practical differences between Luke and Jen's families?
5. Why does Luke log onto Jen's family's computer after he breaks into their house?
6. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
7. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
8. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
9. What does Luke do to break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
10. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke's family displays a startling lack of empathy for his position, while Luke is a highly empathetic child. Analyze the concept of empathy throughout the novel. What examples from the book demonstrate the lack of empathy Luke's family has for his situation? How does Luke's father and brothers treat him versus his mother? How does Luke show empathy for his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
Essay Topic 3
Jen helps Luke see that not everyone believes every law is right and he is given his first spark of hope that maybe it is not wrong for him to exist. Explore the theme of hope throughout "Among the Hidden". Why didn't Luke have any hope before he met Jen? Why does Luke's meeting Jen give him hope of a better life? What does Jen hope for? Why is hope such an important theme? Are Jen's parents more hopeful than Luke's?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)