|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
2. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
3. Since the woods near his home were torn down, how many months has Luke been trapped inside his house?
4. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
5. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
2. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
3. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
4. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
5. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
6. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
7. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
8. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
9. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
10. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the concept of Freedom in "Among the Hidden" and what it means to the different characters. Where does freedom pertain to the novel? How do Jen and Luke feel about freedom? Does Luke think of Jen as already being relatively free? How important is it to have freedom in life? Does Jen's family have more freedom than Luke's family because they are Barons?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the concept of courage and compare how it affects Jen and Luke differently. What is courage? What does Luke do during the novel that shows his courage? Is Jen considered courageous? How does Luke's courage differ from Jen's courage?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)