|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of the day is it when Luke sees the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window of one of the new houses?
2. Why doesn't Luke tell his mother about what he has found in his room allowing him to look outside?
3. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
4. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
5. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
2. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
3. Who are the Barons?
4. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
5. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
6. What does Luke recall from when he turned 6 that is important to his realizing that he is different from his brothers?
7. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
8. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
9. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
10. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reason for Luke and Jen being shadow children is made clear in the novel, "Among the Hidden" -- the country faced a crisis of overpopulation and famine. The government reacted to the crisis with the Population Law, where no one is allowed more than two children. Analyze the theme of overpopulation. What does the Government in this novel give for the reason of the Population Law? Compare the world in "Among the Hidden" to how the world is today. Is our world headed in that direction?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)