|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
2. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
3. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
4. What are some of the orders Luke recalls the Government giving his family in the past?
5. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
2. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
3. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
4. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
5. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
6. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
8. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
9. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
10. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the "Among the Hidden" and analyze how it affects the overall story. Why would Margaret Peterson Haddix choose to use this literary device in her writing? How does the use of foreshadow enhance the story? Is it easy to see where foreshadowing has been used?
Essay Topic 3
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)