|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
2. After Luke's mother calls him to come into the house from the woods, what does Luke do for the first time in his life?
3. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
4. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
5. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, do while she talks on the phone to her dad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
2. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
3. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
4. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
5. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
6. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
7. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
8. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
9. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
10. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Among the Hidden", one of the writing styles the author uses is her choice of narrator. The author uses a third-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing. How important is the narrator to the story? Why does the particular type of narrator Margaret Peterson Haddix chose for "Among the Hidden" such a good choice? How does knowing Luke's thoughts and feelings help the story along?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)