|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
2. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
3. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
4. How many residents does Luke watch leave their houses before he sneaks over the the third child's house?
5. Who had bet Jen that she didn't know what the weather was like outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
2. Who are the Barons?
3. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
4. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
5. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
6. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
7. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
8. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
9. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
10. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
In "Among the Hidden", one of the writing styles the author uses is her choice of narrator. The author uses a third-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing. How important is the narrator to the story? Why does the particular type of narrator Margaret Peterson Haddix chose for "Among the Hidden" such a good choice? How does knowing Luke's thoughts and feelings help the story along?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the concept of Freedom in "Among the Hidden" and what it means to the different characters. Where does freedom pertain to the novel? How do Jen and Luke feel about freedom? Does Luke think of Jen as already being relatively free? How important is it to have freedom in life? Does Jen's family have more freedom than Luke's family because they are Barons?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)