|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
2. Why is Luke's Dad furious with him in Chapter 8?
3. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
4. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
5. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
2. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
3. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
4. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
5. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
6. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
7. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
8. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
9. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
10. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke's mother is a very important character in "Among the Hidden". She is the one person who truly seems to care about how Luke feels, yet she is unable to stand up to Luke's father when he lays down unfair rules. Analyze the character of Luke's mother, comparing how she treats him versus his father's treatment, and how it affects Luke. How does Luke's mother treat him? Why did Luke's mother wait until he was 6 to tell him about the Population Law? Why doesn't Luke's mother stick up for him when his father treats him unfairly? Is Luke's mother considerate of his situation and feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
In "Among the Hidden", one of the writing styles the author uses is her choice of narrator. The author uses a third-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing. How important is the narrator to the story? Why does the particular type of narrator Margaret Peterson Haddix chose for "Among the Hidden" such a good choice? How does knowing Luke's thoughts and feelings help the story along?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)