|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has gone down so low in price that the Luke's father and mother worry about how they will get by?
2. How many residents does Luke watch leave their houses before he sneaks over the the third child's house?
3. How old was Luke when he finally realized that not all children had to hide from visitors?
4. Who had bet Jen that she didn't know what the weather was like outside?
5. The female third child introduces herself as Jennifer Rose Talbot; who does she say is usually very jumpy people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
2. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
3. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
4. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
5. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
6. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
7. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
8. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
9. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
10. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
Essay Topic 2
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
Essay Topic 3
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)