|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
2. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
3. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
4. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
5. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
2. What does Luke recall from when he turned 6 that is important to his realizing that he is different from his brothers?
3. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
4. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
5. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
6. Who are the Barons?
7. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
8. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
9. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of courage and compare how it affects Jen and Luke differently. What is courage? What does Luke do during the novel that shows his courage? Is Jen considered courageous? How does Luke's courage differ from Jen's courage?
Essay Topic 2
The reason for Luke and Jen being shadow children is made clear in the novel, "Among the Hidden" -- the country faced a crisis of overpopulation and famine. The government reacted to the crisis with the Population Law, where no one is allowed more than two children. Analyze the theme of overpopulation. What does the Government in this novel give for the reason of the Population Law? Compare the world in "Among the Hidden" to how the world is today. Is our world headed in that direction?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)