|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the female third child apologize to Luke for after she sees him staring at the door as if he means to make a run for it?
2. Since not being able to eat breakfast with the whole family, why doesn't Luke ask for butter for his toast anymore?
3. What has Luke been taught all his life to fear?
4. What does Luke's mother say is the reason she became pregnant with him?
5. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
2. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
3. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
4. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
5. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
6. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
7. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
8. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
9. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
10. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 2
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the concept of Freedom in "Among the Hidden" and what it means to the different characters. Where does freedom pertain to the novel? How do Jen and Luke feel about freedom? Does Luke think of Jen as already being relatively free? How important is it to have freedom in life? Does Jen's family have more freedom than Luke's family because they are Barons?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)