|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has gone down so low in price that the Luke's father and mother worry about how they will get by?
2. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
3. Why does the girl who pinned Luke down after entering her house let him go?
4. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
5. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
2. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
3. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
4. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
5. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
6. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
7. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police to get them to leave his house?
8. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
9. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
10. What does Luke tell Jen when she comes to his room the night she leaves to the rally?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's family displays a startling lack of empathy for his position, while Luke is a highly empathetic child. Analyze the concept of empathy throughout the novel. What examples from the book demonstrate the lack of empathy Luke's family has for his situation? How does Luke's father and brothers treat him versus his mother? How does Luke show empathy for his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
This section contains 2,325 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)