|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
2. Luke realizes his home is not a sanctuary but a ___________.
3. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
4. What does Luke yell out in a panic to the girl whose house he has just broke into?
5. What does Luke tells his brother he put into the bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
2. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
3. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
4. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
5. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
6. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
7. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
8. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
9. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
10. Who are the Barons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of seclusion in the novel and how it pertains to Luke's state of mind. What is seclusion? How can it affect a person's state of mind? How does Luke's seclusion make him act? Why can't Luke eat at the kitchen table with his family? How does this add to his seclusion? How does Luke cope with his seclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 3
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)