|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, say about the Government monitoring phone calls?
2. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
3. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
4. What are some of the orders Luke recalls the Government giving his family in the past?
5. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
2. Who are the Barons?
3. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
4. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
5. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
6. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
7. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
8. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
9. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
10. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke's family displays a startling lack of empathy for his position, while Luke is a highly empathetic child. Analyze the concept of empathy throughout the novel. What examples from the book demonstrate the lack of empathy Luke's family has for his situation? How does Luke's father and brothers treat him versus his mother? How does Luke show empathy for his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of seclusion in the novel and how it pertains to Luke's state of mind. What is seclusion? How can it affect a person's state of mind? How does Luke's seclusion make him act? Why can't Luke eat at the kitchen table with his family? How does this add to his seclusion? How does Luke cope with his seclusion?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)