Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
2. What does the girl, who's a third child like Luke, do that shocks him?
3. The female third child introduces herself as Jennifer Rose Talbot; who does she say is usually very jumpy people?
4. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
5. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
2. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
3. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
4. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
5. Who are the Barons?
6. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
7. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
8. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
9. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
10. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)