|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
2. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
3. How many residents does Luke watch leave their houses before he sneaks over the the third child's house?
4. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
5. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
2. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
3. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
4. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
5. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
6. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
8. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
9. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
10. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's mother is a very important character in "Among the Hidden". She is the one person who truly seems to care about how Luke feels, yet she is unable to stand up to Luke's father when he lays down unfair rules. Analyze the character of Luke's mother, comparing how she treats him versus his father's treatment, and how it affects Luke. How does Luke's mother treat him? Why did Luke's mother wait until he was 6 to tell him about the Population Law? Why doesn't Luke's mother stick up for him when his father treats him unfairly? Is Luke's mother considerate of his situation and feelings?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)