|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
2. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
3. Luke realizes his home is not a sanctuary but a ___________.
4. What do Dad, Matthew, and Mark load up for slaughter at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What does Mark offer to play a game of with Luke to cheer him up after barging into his room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Jen killed?
2. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
3. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
4. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
5. Why does Jen's father believe the Government keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
6. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
7. How does Jen perform a background check on Luke?
8. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
9. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police to get them to leave his house?
10. How does Jen plan on getting the rally she has planned?
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the concept of courage and compare how it affects Jen and Luke differently. What is courage? What does Luke do during the novel that shows his courage? Is Jen considered courageous? How does Luke's courage differ from Jen's courage?
This section contains 2,206 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)