|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
2. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
3. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
4. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
5. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
2. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
3. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
4. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
5. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
6. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
7. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
8. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
9. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
10. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen's character is vital to the development of the story. Her influence on Luke is what changes the course of the story. Analyze Jen's character and examine how she affects Luke. What are Jen's strengths, weaknesses, and beliefs? Why does the reader believe her character is important to the overall story? What does her character add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Luke started out the story as a scared, powerless twelve-year-old who had no hope of ever living a normal life. Throughout the book he goes through a tremendous change and is no longer that same person at the end. Explore the theme of coming of age, and analysis the changes in Luke's character. What does coming of age mean? How did meeting Jen change Luke's life? How have Luke's ideals and goals changed? What has Luke learned about himself and life?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)