Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
2. What does the girl, who's a third child like Luke, do that shocks him?
3. The female third child introduces herself as Jennifer Rose Talbot; who does she say is usually very jumpy people?
4. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
5. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
2. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
3. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
4. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
5. Who are the Barons?
6. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
7. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
8. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
9. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
10. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
Explore the theme of seclusion in the novel and how it pertains to Luke's state of mind. What is seclusion? How can it affect a person's state of mind? How does Luke's seclusion make him act? Why can't Luke eat at the kitchen table with his family? How does this add to his seclusion? How does Luke cope with his seclusion?
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
The reason for Luke and Jen being shadow children is made clear in the novel, "Among the Hidden" -- the country faced a crisis of overpopulation and famine. The government reacted to the crisis with the Population Law, where no one is allowed more than two children. Analyze the theme of overpopulation. What does the Government in this novel give for the reason of the Population Law? Compare the world in "Among the Hidden" to how the world is today. Is our world headed in that direction?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)