|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
2. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
3. What time does Luke's Mom get home from work?
4. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
5. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
2. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
4. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
5. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
6. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
8. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
9. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
10. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
Essay Topic 2
In "Among the Hidden", one of the writing styles the author uses is her choice of narrator. The author uses a third-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing. How important is the narrator to the story? Why does the particular type of narrator Margaret Peterson Haddix chose for "Among the Hidden" such a good choice? How does knowing Luke's thoughts and feelings help the story along?
Essay Topic 3
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)