|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, say about the Government monitoring phone calls?
2. What time of the day is it when Luke sees the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window of one of the new houses?
3. What do Luke's brothers, Matthew and Mark, complain that they will have to do since Luke is not allowed outside anymore?
4. What is Luke playing with in Chapter 3 that had once been his favorite toy?
5. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
2. What does Luke recall from when he turned 6 that is important to his realizing that he is different from his brothers?
3. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
4. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
5. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
6. Who are the Barons?
7. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
8. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
9. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
10. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
Essay Topic 2
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)