|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
2. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
3. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
4. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
5. Who did Luke's Mother hide her pregnancy from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
2. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
3. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
4. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
5. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
6. Why does Jen's father believe the Government keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
7. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
8. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
9. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
10. What signal have Luke and Jen arranged so that Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the "Among the Hidden" and analyze how it affects the overall story. Why would Margaret Peterson Haddix choose to use this literary device in her writing? How does the use of foreshadow enhance the story? Is it easy to see where foreshadowing has been used?
Essay Topic 2
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 14, Luke meets Jen and his life changes forever. He is amazed by how different her life is from his, even though she is a third child like him. Compare Luke's family with Jen's family, examining how different the life of a Baron is to the life of a farmer. How does each family live? What do their homes look like: the furniture, decorations, etc.? What are their families like? How old are they? What do they look like? What type of rules does each family have?
This section contains 2,264 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)