|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many residents does Luke watch leave their houses before he sneaks over the the third child's house?
2. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
3. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
4. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
5. What does Luke call the new family that has a row of birdhouses in their backyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
3. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
4. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
5. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
6. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
7. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
8. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
9. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
10. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
Essay Topic 2
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the "Among the Hidden" and analyze how it affects the overall story. Why would Margaret Peterson Haddix choose to use this literary device in her writing? How does the use of foreshadow enhance the story? Is it easy to see where foreshadowing has been used?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)