|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
2. Luke begins watching the house where he saw the child's face constantly, on which day of his vigil does he see the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window?
3. What do Luke's parents tell him that the Government forced them to sell?
4. The female third child introduces herself as Jennifer Rose Talbot; who does she say is usually very jumpy people?
5. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
2. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
3. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
4. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
5. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
6. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
7. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
8. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
9. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
10. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of courage and compare how it affects Jen and Luke differently. What is courage? What does Luke do during the novel that shows his courage? Is Jen considered courageous? How does Luke's courage differ from Jen's courage?
Essay Topic 2
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)