|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
3. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
4. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
5. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
2. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
3. What does Jen tell Luke about when she was younger and going to play groups with other third children?
4. Who are the Barons?
5. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
6. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
7. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
8. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
10. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
This section contains 2,318 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)