|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Luke been taught all his life to fear?
2. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
3. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
4. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, say about the Government monitoring phone calls?
5. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
2. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
3. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
4. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
6. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
7. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
8. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
9. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
10. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the concept of courage and compare how it affects Jen and Luke differently. What is courage? What does Luke do during the novel that shows his courage? Is Jen considered courageous? How does Luke's courage differ from Jen's courage?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)