|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has gone down so low in price that the Luke's father and mother worry about how they will get by?
2. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
3. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
4. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
5. What does Mother do when she opens the tax bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
2. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
3. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
4. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
5. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
6. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
7. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
8. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
9. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
10. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of seclusion in the novel and how it pertains to Luke's state of mind. What is seclusion? How can it affect a person's state of mind? How does Luke's seclusion make him act? Why can't Luke eat at the kitchen table with his family? How does this add to his seclusion? How does Luke cope with his seclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
Essay Topic 3
In "Among the Hidden", one of the writing styles the author uses is her choice of narrator. The author uses a third-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing. How important is the narrator to the story? Why does the particular type of narrator Margaret Peterson Haddix chose for "Among the Hidden" such a good choice? How does knowing Luke's thoughts and feelings help the story along?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)