|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
2. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
3. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
4. Why is Luke's Dad furious with him in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Luke's mother make him sit and eat his breakfast on the bottom step to the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
2. What does Luke recall from when he turned 6 that is important to his realizing that he is different from his brothers?
3. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
4. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
5. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
6. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
7. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
8. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
9. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
10. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen helps Luke see that not everyone believes every law is right and he is given his first spark of hope that maybe it is not wrong for him to exist. Explore the theme of hope throughout "Among the Hidden". Why didn't Luke have any hope before he met Jen? Why does Luke's meeting Jen give him hope of a better life? What does Jen hope for? Why is hope such an important theme? Are Jen's parents more hopeful than Luke's?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the "Among the Hidden" and analyze how it affects the overall story. Why would Margaret Peterson Haddix choose to use this literary device in her writing? How does the use of foreshadow enhance the story? Is it easy to see where foreshadowing has been used?
Essay Topic 3
From the very beginning of "Among the Hidden", the reader can feel the fear Luke's family has of the Government. Examine the theme of fear, particularly Luke's parents' fear of the government. What do Luke and his family seem to fear? Why is Luke's family so fearful of the government? Is Luke the cause of many of their fears?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)