|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
2. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
3. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
4. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
5. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
2. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
3. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
4. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
5. Who are the Barons?
6. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
7. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
8. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
9. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
10. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Luke's family displays a startling lack of empathy for his position, while Luke is a highly empathetic child. Analyze the concept of empathy throughout the novel. What examples from the book demonstrate the lack of empathy Luke's family has for his situation? How does Luke's father and brothers treat him versus his mother? How does Luke show empathy for his mother?
Essay Topic 2
In "Among the Hidden", one of the writing styles the author uses is her choice of narrator. The author uses a third-person narrative to tell the story. Explore the different styles of narrators for fiction writing. How important is the narrator to the story? Why does the particular type of narrator Margaret Peterson Haddix chose for "Among the Hidden" such a good choice? How does knowing Luke's thoughts and feelings help the story along?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of friendship in "Among the Hidden" and how friendship helps Luke's character to grow. How does Luke's new friendship affect the decisions that he makes and the way he acts? How important is it to have strong friendships in life, particularly when going through difficult times?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)