|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
2. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
3. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
4. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
5. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
2. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
3. What Government propaganda has Luke's family completely believed in that shocks Jen?
4. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
5. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
6. How does Jen differ from Luke and most of the kids in the online chat room?
7. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
8. How does Luke answer Jen's father when he asks Luke why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
9. Why does Luke's father get a letter from the Government for in Chapter 21?
10. What signal have Luke and Jen arranged so that Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
Essay Topic 2
Luke's mother is a very important character in "Among the Hidden". She is the one person who truly seems to care about how Luke feels, yet she is unable to stand up to Luke's father when he lays down unfair rules. Analyze the character of Luke's mother, comparing how she treats him versus his father's treatment, and how it affects Luke. How does Luke's mother treat him? Why did Luke's mother wait until he was 6 to tell him about the Population Law? Why doesn't Luke's mother stick up for him when his father treats him unfairly? Is Luke's mother considerate of his situation and feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's father's attitude is verging on abusive in the novel, "Among the Hidden". The purpose of this lesson is to analyze the character of Luke's father and examine his affect on Luke. How does Luke's father treat him? How is Luke's father encouraged by society and by government propaganda? What assumptions can the reader make about how the father feels about Luke based on how he treats Luke?
This section contains 2,339 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)