|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luke realizes his home is not a sanctuary but a ___________.
2. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
3. How do the people moving next to Luke's family's home dress?
4. It's harvest time and the family is working harder than ever, what does Luke's mom make sure to leave him every day?
5. What does Mother do when she opens the tax bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
2. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
3. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
4. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
5. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
6. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
7. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
8. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
9. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
10. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of courage and compare how it affects Jen and Luke differently. What is courage? What does Luke do during the novel that shows his courage? Is Jen considered courageous? How does Luke's courage differ from Jen's courage?
Essay Topic 2
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of "Among the Hidden", the main character, Luke, is a quiet, powerless twelve-year-old. He knows nothing about the world he lives in because he's never been outside his own home. Analyze the character of Luke, exploring his maturity level and ideals at the beginning of the story. How do Luke's actions and the things he worries about show how mature he is? Does Luke complain about his life? How does Luke treat the other members of his family? How is he treated by his family? Does Luke take his difficult situation for granted?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)