|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
2. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
3. What time of the day is it when Luke sees the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window of one of the new houses?
4. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
5. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke recall from when he turned 6 that is important to his realizing that he is different from his brothers?
2. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
3. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
4. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
5. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
6. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
7. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
8. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
9. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
10. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of seclusion in the novel and how it pertains to Luke's state of mind. What is seclusion? How can it affect a person's state of mind? How does Luke's seclusion make him act? Why can't Luke eat at the kitchen table with his family? How does this add to his seclusion? How does Luke cope with his seclusion?
Essay Topic 2
The beginning of "Among the Hidden" opens in a disquieting note. The author grabs the reader's attention right away by sounding this note of disharmony in an otherwise peaceful scene. Explore how tone is used so effectively in the first few chapters of "Among the Hidden". How does the author set the tone in "Among the Hidden"? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in this book? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 3
Luke started out the story as a scared, powerless twelve-year-old who had no hope of ever living a normal life. Throughout the book he goes through a tremendous change and is no longer that same person at the end. Explore the theme of coming of age, and analysis the changes in Luke's character. What does coming of age mean? How did meeting Jen change Luke's life? How have Luke's ideals and goals changed? What has Luke learned about himself and life?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)