|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
2. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
3. What does Luke beg his mother to convince his dad of in Chapter 9?
4. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
5. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
2. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
3. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
4. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
5. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
6. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
7. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
8. Who are the Barons?
9. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
10. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jen helps Luke see that not everyone believes every law is right and he is given his first spark of hope that maybe it is not wrong for him to exist. Explore the theme of hope throughout "Among the Hidden". Why didn't Luke have any hope before he met Jen? Why does Luke's meeting Jen give him hope of a better life? What does Jen hope for? Why is hope such an important theme? Are Jen's parents more hopeful than Luke's?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of seclusion in the novel and how it pertains to Luke's state of mind. What is seclusion? How can it affect a person's state of mind? How does Luke's seclusion make him act? Why can't Luke eat at the kitchen table with his family? How does this add to his seclusion? How does Luke cope with his seclusion?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of flashbacks in narrative writing and explore those used in the novel "Among the Hidden". How does the use of flashbacks help develop the main character? Are the flashbacks used in this novel important for the development of his character? Would the reader like more flashbacks to learn even more about the character?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)