|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
2. What does the girl, who's a third child like Luke, do that shocks him?
3. The female third child introduces herself as Jennifer Rose Talbot; who does she say is usually very jumpy people?
4. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
5. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
2. What does Luke begin to plan in Chapter 12?
3. What is different about Jen's parents getting pregnant with her versus Luke's parents having him?
4. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
5. Who are the Barons?
6. What does Luke now realize about how he can create change in the world, but in a different way than Jen?
7. Why does Jen purposely cut her hand in Chapter 16?
8. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
9. Why does the government not want Luke's dad growing hydroponic vegetables?
10. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
Essay Topic 1
One theme in "Among the Hidden" is the routine of Luke's life. Examine the theme of routine in Luke's life and how Luke strives to add something to break up his monotonous life. Does Luke have more or less freedom when his mom starts her job? Does Luke's new routine give him more time to think about the outside world? Does Luke try to do anything to break up the routine in his life? Has Luke begun to dread each new day? What does he wish for?
Essay Topic 2
Jen and Luke have both grown up with particular beliefs. Jen is very passionate in her beliefs and Luke is more subdued. Explore the recurring theme of belief throughout the novel. What type of beliefs does Jen possess? What type of beliefs does Luke possess? How do Jen and Luke's beliefs affect the decisions that they make in their lives? How important is it to have strong beliefs in life?
Essay Topic 3
Luke's mother is a very important character in "Among the Hidden". She is the one person who truly seems to care about how Luke feels, yet she is unable to stand up to Luke's father when he lays down unfair rules. Analyze the character of Luke's mother, comparing how she treats him versus his father's treatment, and how it affects Luke. How does Luke's mother treat him? Why did Luke's mother wait until he was 6 to tell him about the Population Law? Why doesn't Luke's mother stick up for him when his father treats him unfairly? Is Luke's mother considerate of his situation and feelings?
This section contains 2,271 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)