|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so shocking about Jen's parents having a third child?
(a) Jen's parents wanted another boy but realized having a girl would be fun too.
(b) Her parents didn't want to have her but felt too guilty to terminate the pregnancy.
(c) They broke the law on purpose to have her, and Jen's dad is a Government employee.
(d) She was actually a fourth child, but her older sister died.
2. In Chapter 17, how many days does Luke wait for another opportunity to sneak over to Jen's house?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Six days.
3. How does Jen's father react after Luke explains how he found out about Jen?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He acts ashamed.
(c) He's embarrassed.
(d) He gets angry.
4. How is Jen able to check outside for Luke's signal without being seen every day?
(a) She uses a special camera.
(b) She very carefully picks out the window.
(c) She uses binoculars.
(d) She has mirrors placed by each of the doors and windows of her home.
5. In Chapter 18, what is Jen's chat room friend complaining about online?
(a) His parents refuse to buy him any new books to read.
(b) His parents refuse to allow him downstairs into the family room.
(c) His parents refuse to buy him any extra food to eat.
(d) His parents refuse to waste money running the air-conditioning during the day, even though it's 105 outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jen upset with the other children in the online chat room in Chapter 20?
2. What does Jen's father offer to do for Luke in Chapter 27?
3. Whose voice does Luke hear in his room the night Jen and the other kids leave for the rally?
4. What does Luke learn about from the books that Jen has given him that he mentions to his dad?
5. What kind of Government does Jen's father say they have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen offer to Luke in Chapter 17 that is illegal?
2. Why does Jen's dad inform Luke that he is now in danger of the Population Police?
3. Why does Jen tell Luke not to feel guilty about being a third child?
4. What are the practical differences between Luke and Jen's families?
5. Why does Jen's father believe the Government keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
6. Why does Luke feel guilty for eating food that could sustain a pet?
7. How does Luke lull himself into a false sense of security in Chapter 21?
8. How does Luke answer Jen's father when he asks Luke why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
9. What does Luke say when Jen asks him if he thinks his brothers would ever betray him?
10. What does Jen do with the mirrors in her house to help her see out the windows?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)