|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
(a) He sets off the alarm.
(b) He's attacked by a dog.
(c) He walks quietly inside and explores the house.
(d) He gets stuck trying to get through the screen door.
2. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 6:00 AM.
(b) 7:00 AM.
(c) 9:00 AM.
(d) 8:00 AM.
3. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's burnt.
(b) It's lopsided and lumpy.
(c) It's a funny color.
(d) It's doughy.
4. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
(a) His mother.
(b) The new girl down the road.
(c) His father.
(d) The outdoors.
5. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
(a) A little boy.
(b) A little girl.
(c) A tramp.
(d) A pregnant woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big are the houses being built next to Luke's home?
2. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
3. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
4. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
5. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
2. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
3. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
4. Who are the Barons?
5. What are the names that Luke makes up for his new neighbors?
6. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
7. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
8. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
9. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
10. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)