|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(b) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(c) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(d) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
2. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
(a) The law was new and they figured the Government would get over its foolishness.
(b) They didn't care what the Government thought.
(c) They were mad at the Government.
(d) They were too scared.
3. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
(a) Three times the usual amount.
(b) Four times the usual amount.
(c) Two times the usual amount.
(d) Five times the usual amount.
4. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
(a) Two tiny windows.
(b) A drain.
(c) A small hole in the wall.
(d) The ventilation shafts.
5. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
(a) His family eat breakfast.
(b) The work on the new houses.
(c) The animals out his window.
(d) The sun rise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark offer to play a game of with Luke to cheer him up after barging into his room?
2. Why does Luke's mother make him sit and eat his breakfast on the bottom step to the attic?
3. What does Luke notice on his 13th day of watching the house where he saw the child's face?
4. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
5. What is Luke playing with in Chapter 3 that had once been his favorite toy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Luke know what will happen to him if he is seen looking out a window in his house?
2. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
3. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
4. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
5. Even though his family has a startling lack of empathy for his position, how does Luke show his empathy in Chapter 7?
6. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
7. Who are the Barons?
8. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
9. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
10. What does Luke realize about his home as he prepares to sprint over to the Sport's Family's house?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)