|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
(a) Stories of what the Population Police does to pregnant women.
(b) Ads advertising the reward for turning in people who have more than two children.
(c) The Government's ads talking about how the Population Police would do anything to enforce the law.
(d) Pictures of what the Population Police does to third babies.
2. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, do while she talks on the phone to her dad?
(a) She yawns.
(b) She bites her nails.
(c) She rolls her eyes.
(d) She drums her fingers on the table.
3. What does Luke notice on his 13th day of watching the house where he saw the child's face?
(a) He can spy the outline of a third child at the dinner table.
(b) He glimpses the child's face again.
(c) On a very hot day, the blinds are down, but the family leaves their windows open.
(d) He hears music coming from the house in the middle of the day.
4. In Chapter 5, what does the letter from the Government tell Luke's father to get rid of?
(a) Their sheep.
(b) Their cows.
(c) Their hogs.
(d) Their horses.
5. Since the woods near his home were torn down, how many months has Luke been trapped inside his house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
2. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
3. What name do Luke's Mom and Dad call the new residents that will be living next to them?
4. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
5. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke see while looking out his attic vents in Chapter 8?
2. What does Luke's mom do when they hear tires on the gravel driveway in Chapter 1?
3. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
4. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
5. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
6. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
8. Why does Luke's favorite toy, his train, cause him to be sad?
9. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
10. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)