|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
(a) They were too scared.
(b) They didn't care what the Government thought.
(c) They were mad at the Government.
(d) The law was new and they figured the Government would get over its foolishness.
2. What does Dad say is the reason for the tax increase on their property?
(a) He wouldn't sell anymore of their farmland, so he is being punished.
(b) The government is in financial trouble.
(c) The new houses next door have raised the property value of their home.
(d) They have been suspected to be harboring a third child.
3. What does Luke beg his mother to convince his dad of in Chapter 9?
(a) Allowing Luke to listen to the radio.
(b) Allowing Luke to look out the windows.
(c) Allowing Luke back in the kitchen.
(d) Allowing Luke outside.
4. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
(a) That he has never seen a girl before.
(b) That he has never met anybody outside of his parents and brothers.
(c) That he is crying.
(d) That he had the guts to sneak over to her house.
5. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) In the pantry.
(b) Upstairs to hide.
(c) Under the table.
(d) Under his parent's bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
2. What has gone down so low in price that the Luke's father and mother worry about how they will get by?
3. What does Luke imagine in Chapter 7, which he feels guilty about?
4. After Luke tells Jen how he found out about her, what is Jen stunned to hear about Luke?
5. What does Luke's Dad slip quietly to Luke every day around noon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
2. What happens when Luke comes upon the girl in the Sport's Family's house?
3. Why has the property taxes on Luke's home gone up?
4. How does the author grab the reader's attention right away at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Luke do all day to help pass the time?
6. What does Luke's mother do so that the family can pay the property tax bill?
7. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
8. What does Luke do when he realizes the screen door to the Sport's Family's house is locked?
9. What is one of the things that Luke observes in Chapter 11 that confirms to him that there is someone hiding in the Sports Family home?
10. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)