|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) The crunch of gravel under his feet.
(b) The breeze ruffling his clothes.
(c) The fresh air on his face.
(d) The feel of the sun on his face.
2. After Luke tells Jen how he found out about her, what is Jen stunned to hear about Luke?
(a) That his dad yelled at him for cleaning the house and baking bread.
(b) That his brothers tease him about being a third child.
(c) That he has never left his own property and he has been trapped in his house for months.
(d) That his parents make him eat breakfast on the stairs.
3. What do Luke's parents tell him that the Government forced them to sell?
(a) Their house.
(b) The woods next to their house.
(c) Their cabin by the lake.
(d) Their car.
4. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
(a) To make sure no visitors are inside the kitchen.
(b) To make sure everyone is awake.
(c) To make sure his father is away at work.
(d) To make sure his brothers have left for school.
5. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, do while she talks on the phone to her dad?
(a) She drums her fingers on the table.
(b) She rolls her eyes.
(c) She bites her nails.
(d) She yawns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new house does Luke spy a child looking out the window of after his dad banishes him from the kitchen?
2. What are some of the orders Luke recalls the Government giving his family in the past?
3. How many residents does Luke watch leave their houses before he sneaks over the the third child's house?
4. What does Luke call the new family that has a row of birdhouses in their backyard?
5. What has gone down so low in price that the Luke's father and mother worry about how they will get by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
2. How different is Luke's family from Jen's Family?
3. Who are the Barons?
4. Why does Luke have to hide away from other people?
5. How does Luke feel when he finally steps outside on his way to the Sport's Family's house?
6. What does Luke's mom tell him about how she became pregnant with him in Chapter 2?
7. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
8. Does Luke's mother stick up for him?
9. Why does it shock Luke to see the young girl from the Sport's Family house using a telephone?
10. Why do the Luke's parents decide to sell their hogs?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)