|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) Under the table.
(b) Under his parent's bed.
(c) In the pantry.
(d) Upstairs to hide.
2. What does the female third child apologize to Luke for after she sees him staring at the door as if he means to make a run for it?
(a) Yelling at him.
(b) Making fun of him.
(c) Kicking him.
(d) Scaring him.
3. Since not being able to eat breakfast with the whole family, why doesn't Luke ask for butter for his toast anymore?
(a) He will get yelled at for being a nusiance.
(b) Someone would have to pretend they forgot something in order to safely pass him the butter dish.
(c) He doesn't like butter anymore.
(d) His mom gives him jam now.
4. What time of the day is it when Luke sees the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window of one of the new houses?
(a) 11 PM.
(b) 11 AM.
(c) 10 PM.
(d) 10 AM.
5. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
(a) She was checking that her mirrors were working properly.
(b) She wanted to see if her brothers were home.
(c) She was trying to spy on the neighbors.
(d) She was looking for birds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to be living in the new houses being built next to Luke's home?
2. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
3. Why is Luke's Dad furious with him in Chapter 8?
4. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
5. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, do while she talks on the phone to her dad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jen's father say in response to Luke being shocked that he works for the Population Police?
2. What does Luke realize about being an illegal third child?
3. Why does Luke's father get angry with him in Chapter 1?
4. What does Luke recall from when he turned 6 that is important to his realizing that he is different from his brothers?
5. How does Luke's new identity empower him?
6. What does Luke notice changing that makes him decide he'd better act fast if he wants to sneak over to the Sports Family's house?
7. How does Luke lull himself into a false sense of security in Chapter 21?
8. What is Luke's father's attitude about Luke?
9. What does Luke discover in his room and what does it do for him?
10. What does Jen do to assure that no Population Police stop her on the way to the rally?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)