|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police he was doing on his computer?
(a) Using a search engine and he accidentally came upon this chat room.
(b) That he is working a sting operation in the chat room, hoping to find other shadow children.
(c) Trying to find out who had used his computer illegally.
(d) He tells them it's none of their business.
2. What type of people does Luke tell Jen change the world?
(a) Smart people.
(b) Brave people.
(c) Poor people.
(d) Rich people.
3. How does Jen's father react after Luke explains how he found out about Jen?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He's embarrassed.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He acts ashamed.
4. What does Luke sneak into the kitchen for the day of the rally?
(a) To bake some bread.
(b) To listen to the radio.
(c) To look out the window.
(d) To make a sandwich.
5. Luke learns that Jen was killed at the rally, how does he react?
(a) He's shocked.
(b) He starts screaming.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He begins to cry.
6. Why did the Government make it illegal to have pets?
(a) They believe animals are only for eating.
(b) The food shortage.
(c) Because of the diseases they may carry.
(d) An epidemic of lice.
7. In Chapter 17, what does Jen tell Luke that her mother dragged her out to go do?
(a) Shopping at the mall.
(b) Shopping for flowers.
(c) Jewelry shopping.
(d) Grocery shopping.
8. On what day does Jen finally answer Luke's signal?
(a) Sixth day.
(b) Tenth day.
(c) Fourth day.
(d) Fifth day.
9. What signal have Jen and Luke decided upon so Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
(a) If Luke can come over he will turn on his back porch light.
(b) If Luke can come over he will pull up his kitchen shade an inch.
(c) If Luke can come over he will flash a light to Jen.
(d) If Luke can come over he will tie a ribbon on his back doorknob.
10. What does Jen's dad thrust Luke into when the Population Police pound on his front door?
(a) A wooden chest.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) Behind the sofa.
(d) The closet.
11. Why does Jen believe there are not enough babies being born anymore?
(a) Because of the Government's propaganda campaign against pregnancy.
(b) Because there's not enough food.
(c) People are scared that they'll have multiples.
(d) Most women are infertile.
12. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the second day after he meets her?
(a) His mom took the day off so she could catch up on some housework.
(b) It rains so his Dad spends the day indoors working on paperwork and books for the farm.
(c) His brother is home sick from school.
(d) Luke has the stomach flu.
13. How was Jen's mom able to take her shopping with her?
(a) The back seat of their family car is hollowed out.
(b) She has her dress up as a boy.
(c) She just does not worry about being caught.
(d) They bribe the police with money if they are questioned.
14. What word does Jen use as a password for her online chat room?
15. What does Luke do at supper the night after he meets Jen?
(a) He tells his family all about Jen.
(b) He hums quietly to himself.
(c) He decides to eat in his room.
(d) Tunes out his family's conversation while he eats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice does Luke hear in his room the night Jen and the other kids leave for the rally?
2. Why does Luke go stir crazy in his house the first few weeks of April?
3. Why is Jen upset with the other children in the online chat room in Chapter 20?
4. How does Jen's father react to how Luke answers his question about why he didn't stop Jen from going to the rally?
5. What did Jen's father have to bribe the policemen with?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)