|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Luke agree to come to the rally with Jen?
(a) He is too angry.
(b) He is too frightened.
(c) He's embarrassed.
(d) He does not believe it's right.
2. In Chapter 17, what does Jen tell Luke that her mother dragged her out to go do?
(a) Jewelry shopping.
(b) Shopping for flowers.
(c) Shopping at the mall.
(d) Grocery shopping.
3. What does the Government spend a great deal of money trying to convince people?
(a) That they have people patrolling to see houses with window shades down all the time.
(b) That their whole family will be killed if a third child is found.
(c) That having a third child means you're a bad citizen.
(d) That they can monitor television and computer screens.
4. On what day does Jen finally answer Luke's signal?
(a) Fourth day.
(b) Fifth day.
(c) Sixth day.
(d) Tenth day.
5. What attribute does Luke realize he has that will make him more able than Jen to help other shadow children?
(a) He's trustworthy.
(b) He's kind.
(c) He's quiet.
(d) He's patient.
6. How many times has Jen's mom been married?
7. What does Jen's dad thrust Luke into when the Population Police pound on his front door?
(a) Behind the sofa.
(b) A wooden chest.
(c) Under the bed.
(d) The closet.
8. After Jen's father demands to know why Luke didn't stop Jen from going to the rally, how does Luke respond?
(a) He says, "That would be impossible."
(b) He says, "How do you stop a bird from flying?"
(c) He says, "I would never stop Jen from doing anything."
(d) He says, "That's like trying to stop the sun."
9. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police he was doing on his computer?
(a) Trying to find out who had used his computer illegally.
(b) That he is working a sting operation in the chat room, hoping to find other shadow children.
(c) Using a search engine and he accidentally came upon this chat room.
(d) He tells them it's none of their business.
10. What does Jen call Luke for not wanting to go to the rally?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A scaredy cat.
(c) A baby.
(d) A coward.
11. What does Jen ask Luke about his brothers in Chapter 21?
(a) If they'd ever physically hurt him.
(b) If they ever play with him.
(c) If they ever lock him in his room.
(d) If they'd ever betray him.
12. What does Luke agonize over the three days after he refuses to go with Jen to the rally?
(a) Going with her or turning her in to the authorities.
(b) Telling her parents or telling his parents.
(c) Stopping her or turning her in to the authorities.
(d) Going with her or stopping her.
13. What does Luke suggest that his mother do in Chapter 25?
(a) Make a cake.
(b) Take a day off from work.
(c) Go over and welcome the new neighbors.
(d) Look for a new job.
14. How many times does Luke visit Jen in February?
(b) Three times.
(c) Five times.
15. What is Jen shocked to hear that Luke and his family eat, that even her family can't eat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the first day after he meets her?
2. What are the names of Jen's chat room friends that Luke is introduced to in Chapter 18?
3. What did Jen's father have to bribe the policemen with?
4. What is so shocking about Jen's parents having a third child?
5. Jen's father admits he works for the Population Police. How does Luke react?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)