|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jen's father put him hand over Luke's mouth after the Population Police leave?
(a) He doesn't want him to scream.
(b) He wants to make sure the police are completely gone.
(c) The police have planted listening devices in the house and one on Jen's father.
(d) He wants Luke to listen to him before he talks.
2. Why is the Government forbidding Luke's dad from doing a particular thing in Chapter 21?
(a) He is forbidden to leave the house because he's been using too much gasoline.
(b) They want him to collect the chickens eggs.
(c) They don't want the value of the new homes to go down by his cutting down trees.
(d) Hydroponics is outlawed because it has been used to grow illegal drugs in the past.
3. What did Jen do to make sure no policemen stop her on her way to the rally?
(a) She bribed several police officers.
(b) She has devised a special route where no policemen patrol.
(c) She is going to dress up like one of her brothers.
(d) She hacked into the police database and arranged to give several policemen vacation days.
4. What does Jen's father offer to do for Luke in Chapter 27?
(a) Get him a fake I.D.
(b) Take him into their family.
(c) Give Luke's family some money.
(d) Let Luke see Jen's body.
5. Why has Jen's death been especially hard for her family?
(a) They couldn't have a funeral for her.
(b) They've had to burn everything that was Jen's.
(c) They were each whipped ten times for keeping her a secret.
(d) They've had to go about their business without the luxury of mourning Jen.
6. How does Luke break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
(a) He picks the lock on the back door.
(b) He squeezes through an open window.
(c) He rips the screen and breaks a pane in one of the windows.
(d) He kicks in the basement door.
7. Why is Jen upset with the other children in the online chat room in Chapter 20?
(a) They told her she was crazy.
(b) They are scared to come out of hiding.
(c) They don't want to come to her rally.
(d) They are discussing using fake I.D.s.
8. After Jen's father demands to know why Luke didn't stop Jen from going to the rally, how does Luke respond?
(a) He says, "That would be impossible."
(b) He says, "How do you stop a bird from flying?"
(c) He says, "I would never stop Jen from doing anything."
(d) He says, "That's like trying to stop the sun."
9. Jen's father informs Luke that he is now in danger too. Why is Luke in danger?
(a) Jen's house is being watched by the Population Police.
(b) Jen's father had called the police before he realized who Luke was.
(c) The chat room he just logged into has been monitored by Government officials since the rally.
(d) The Government really can see through computer screens, and they saw Luke.
10. What does Luke have to do after he breaks into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
(a) Disable the alarm using the code Jen taught him.
(b) Break the alarm.
(c) Turn off all the lights.
(d) Search it to make sure it's empty.
11. What does Jen call Luke for not wanting to go to the rally?
(a) A scaredy cat.
(b) A coward.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A baby.
12. What is Jen shocked to hear that Luke and his family eat, that even her family can't eat?
13. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the second day after he meets her?
(a) Luke has the stomach flu.
(b) His brother is home sick from school.
(c) It rains so his Dad spends the day indoors working on paperwork and books for the farm.
(d) His mom took the day off so she could catch up on some housework.
14. Whose voice does Luke hear in his room the night Jen and the other kids leave for the rally?
(a) His mom's.
(b) His dad's.
15. What signal have Jen and Luke decided upon so Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
(a) If Luke can come over he will flash a light to Jen.
(b) If Luke can come over he will pull up his kitchen shade an inch.
(c) If Luke can come over he will tie a ribbon on his back doorknob.
(d) If Luke can come over he will turn on his back porch light.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luke go stir crazy in his house the first few weeks of April?
2. What type of people does Luke tell Jen change the world?
3. Jen's father explains that he only works at the Population Police headquarters; he does not agree with what they do. What does he try to do while he's at work?
4. How did Jen's father know that Luke was in his house?
5. What is so shocking about Jen's parents having a third child?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)