|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is so shocking about Jen's parents having a third child?
(a) She was actually a fourth child, but her older sister died.
(b) They broke the law on purpose to have her, and Jen's dad is a Government employee.
(c) Her parents didn't want to have her but felt too guilty to terminate the pregnancy.
(d) Jen's parents wanted another boy but realized having a girl would be fun too.
2. How does Luke break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
(a) He squeezes through an open window.
(b) He picks the lock on the back door.
(c) He kicks in the basement door.
(d) He rips the screen and breaks a pane in one of the windows.
3. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the first day after he meets her?
(a) His mom stays home from work sick.
(b) His brothers have the day off from school.
(c) It's a national holiday.
(d) A Government inspector shows up to examine the Garner crops.
4. Why is Jen confident the Government will not find out about her online chat room?
(a) Her parents have paid off the Government.
(b) She has it disguised as a local school's chatroom.
(c) She set it up herself and only shadow children know the password.
(d) She knows they really don't care to monitor stuff like that.
5. What does Jen use that allows her to go shopping?
(a) A wig and some sunglasses.
(b) A forged shopping pass.
(c) A fake I.D.
(d) A gun.
6. How did Jen perform a background check on Luke?
(a) She took a sample of Luke's blood using her brothers kit and scanned the results into her computer.
(b) She took a strand of Luke's hair and used her brothers kit to analyze it and then scanned the results into her computer.
(c) She used her brother's fingerprinting kit to lift Luke's prints off her door and she scanned them into her computer.
(d) She took a picture of Luke and scanned it onto her computer.
7. Where will Luke now be living with his new name and identity?
(a) A ranch in the West.
(b) A beach house along the East coast.
(c) The home of child whose identity he has taken.
(d) A boarding school for rich children.
8. In Chapter 18, what is Jen's chat room friend complaining about online?
(a) His parents refuse to waste money running the air-conditioning during the day, even though it's 105 outside.
(b) His parents refuse to allow him downstairs into the family room.
(c) His parents refuse to buy him any new books to read.
(d) His parents refuse to buy him any extra food to eat.
9. Luke finally signals Jen on the third day after he meets her; what happens?
(a) Surprisingly, she runs over to his house.
(b) She never signals him back.
(c) She calls him on the telephone to tell him today is not a good day.
(d) She sends him a note saying today is not a good day.
10. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police he was doing on his computer?
(a) He tells them it's none of their business.
(b) That he is working a sting operation in the chat room, hoping to find other shadow children.
(c) Trying to find out who had used his computer illegally.
(d) Using a search engine and he accidentally came upon this chat room.
11. Why does Luke watch Jen's house obsessively for the days after the rally?
(a) Signs of her.
(d) Signs of anyone in her family.
12. What does Jen say to Luke after he tells her he will see her after the rally?
(a) She tells him he can bet on it!
(b) She tells him she can't wait.
(c) She tells him it's not likely.
(d) She tells him they can hope.
13. After the kids at the rally were killed, where did their blood run into?
(a) The President's rosebushes.
(b) The Presiden't driveway.
(c) The President's vegetable garden.
(d) The President's lawn.
14. What does Luke learn about from the books that Jen has given him that he mentions to his dad?
(a) Using spoiled food to feed the animals.
(b) Neighbors sharing food.
(c) Canning food.
(d) Growing food indoors.
15. What amazes Jen about Luke's family in Chapter 16?
(a) That they believe in the Government's propaganda.
(b) That they won't let Luke outside.
(c) That they are so terrified of the Population Police.
(d) That they make Luke eat on the attic stairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Luke agree to come to the rally with Jen?
2. Why does Luke's family have a hard time deciphering the meaning of the letter from the Government?
3. In Chapter 17, how many days does Luke wait for another opportunity to sneak over to Jen's house?
4. Why does Luke's mother think he's sick in Chapter 23?
5. What does Jen do every time she sees Luke?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)