|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, what is Jen's chat room friend complaining about online?
(a) His parents refuse to buy him any new books to read.
(b) His parents refuse to buy him any extra food to eat.
(c) His parents refuse to waste money running the air-conditioning during the day, even though it's 105 outside.
(d) His parents refuse to allow him downstairs into the family room.
2. What does Luke have to do after he breaks into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
(a) Break the alarm.
(b) Turn off all the lights.
(c) Search it to make sure it's empty.
(d) Disable the alarm using the code Jen taught him.
3. How many times has Jen's mom been married?
4. What do Jen and Luke do while he's at her house in Chapter 21?
(a) Play video games.
(b) Read books and eat chips.
(c) Watch TV.
(d) Play board games and bake cookies.
5. What does Luke sneak into the kitchen for the day of the rally?
(a) To look out the window.
(b) To make a sandwich.
(c) To bake some bread.
(d) To listen to the radio.
6. How many other kids were also killed at the rally?
7. What signal have Jen and Luke decided upon so Luke will know when it's okay to come and visit her again?
(a) If Luke can come over he will pull up his kitchen shade an inch.
(b) If Luke can come over he will tie a ribbon on his back doorknob.
(c) If Luke can come over he will flash a light to Jen.
(d) If Luke can come over he will turn on his back porch light.
8. What is so shocking about Jen's parents having a third child?
(a) Her parents didn't want to have her but felt too guilty to terminate the pregnancy.
(b) Jen's parents wanted another boy but realized having a girl would be fun too.
(c) She was actually a fourth child, but her older sister died.
(d) They broke the law on purpose to have her, and Jen's dad is a Government employee.
9. What brave thing does Jen do for Luke at the end of Chapter 16 that amazes Luke?
(a) She promises not to tell anyone about Luke.
(b) Luke cuts his leg at her house and blood and drops on the carpet, so Jen cuts her leg to show her parents.
(c) Luke cuts his hand at her house and blood and drips on the carpet, so Jen cuts her hand to show her parents.
(d) She tells her family about Luke.
10. Why was Jen's father able to take Jen's body?
(a) Because he paid them lots of money.
(b) Because he begged them for it.
(c) He wasn't, he stole her body.
(d) Because he's a Government official.
11. What does Luke learn about from the books that Jen has given him that he mentions to his dad?
(a) Neighbors sharing food.
(b) Using spoiled food to feed the animals.
(c) Growing food indoors.
(d) Canning food.
12. What does Luke think about the rally Jen is planning?
(a) It's insane.
(b) It's hopeless.
(c) It' wonderful.
(d) It's scary.
13. Jen's father admits he works for the Population Police. How does Luke react?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He backs up into the wall in shock.
(c) Luke begins screaming and grabs Jen's father's gun.
(d) He runs and hides in the closet.
14. In Chapter 21, Luke's Dad gets a letter from the Government. What do they forbid him from doing?
(a) Cutting down any of his trees.
(b) Growing anything indoors hydroponically.
(c) Selling his chickens.
(d) Leaving his house.
15. Why is the Government forbidding Luke's dad from doing a particular thing in Chapter 21?
(a) They want him to collect the chickens eggs.
(b) Hydroponics is outlawed because it has been used to grow illegal drugs in the past.
(c) They don't want the value of the new homes to go down by his cutting down trees.
(d) He is forbidden to leave the house because he's been using too much gasoline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Jen's death been especially hard for her family?
2. Jen's father informs Luke that he is now in danger too. Why is Luke in danger?
3. Whose voice does Luke hear in his room the night Jen and the other kids leave for the rally?
4. Luke asks Jen's father why he wants to help him; how does he respond?
5. Why does Jen's father believe that the government intentionally keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)