|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jen plan on getting to the rally that she has planned?
(a) She's going to hitchhike.
(b) She's going to drive one of her parent's cars.
(c) She's going to ride her bike.
(d) She's going to take the bus.
2. How is Jen able to check outside for Luke's signal without being seen every day?
(a) She has mirrors placed by each of the doors and windows of her home.
(b) She uses binoculars.
(c) She very carefully picks out the window.
(d) She uses a special camera.
3. Why is the Government forbidding Luke's dad from doing a particular thing in Chapter 21?
(a) He is forbidden to leave the house because he's been using too much gasoline.
(b) They don't want the value of the new homes to go down by his cutting down trees.
(c) Hydroponics is outlawed because it has been used to grow illegal drugs in the past.
(d) They want him to collect the chickens eggs.
4. Luke asks Jen's father why he wants to help him; how does he respond?
(a) He's doing it for Jen.
(b) He wants to help all shadow children.
(c) He likes Luke.
(d) He likes helping people.
5. When Jen was younger, where did her mom take her to meet other third children?
(a) A carnival.
(b) Secret meetings.
(c) A party.
(d) A play group.
6. Why does Luke go stir crazy in his house the first few weeks of April?
(a) His father is home every day.
(b) It's rainy.
(c) His brothers have school off for Spring Break.
(d) It's snowing.
7. How does Luke break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
(a) He picks the lock on the back door.
(b) He rips the screen and breaks a pane in one of the windows.
(c) He kicks in the basement door.
(d) He squeezes through an open window.
8. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the first day after he meets her?
(a) A Government inspector shows up to examine the Garner crops.
(b) It's a national holiday.
(c) His mom stays home from work sick.
(d) His brothers have the day off from school.
9. What kind of Government does Jen's father say they have?
(a) An authoritarianism government.
(b) A totalitarian government.
(c) A monarchism government.
(d) A tyranny.
10. What does Jen's father tell the Population Police he was doing on his computer?
(a) That he is working a sting operation in the chat room, hoping to find other shadow children.
(b) Using a search engine and he accidentally came upon this chat room.
(c) He tells them it's none of their business.
(d) Trying to find out who had used his computer illegally.
11. How did Jen feel about her father working at the Population Police headquarters?
(a) She didn't understand.
(b) She hated it.
(c) She was embarrassed about it.
(d) She liked it.
12. Luke learns that Jen was killed at the rally, how does he react?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He's shocked.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He starts screaming.
13. In Chapter 17, how many days does Luke wait for another opportunity to sneak over to Jen's house?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
14. What does Luke sneak into the kitchen for the day of the rally?
(a) To make a sandwich.
(b) To listen to the radio.
(c) To bake some bread.
(d) To look out the window.
15. Why does Luke's mother think he's sick in Chapter 23?
(a) His nose is running and his eyes are red.
(b) He's coughing.
(c) Because he's pale.
(d) He's very hot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jen's father believe that the government intentionally keeps people hovering around the poverty level?
2. How old was Jen when she began using her family's computer?
3. In Chapter 21, Luke's Dad gets a letter from the Government. What do they forbid him from doing?
4. What time of day does Jen promise to check outside everyday for Luke's signal?
5. What are the names of Jen's chat room friends that Luke is introduced to in Chapter 18?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)