|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 18, what is Jen's chat room friend complaining about online?
(a) His parents refuse to buy him any new books to read.
(b) His parents refuse to buy him any extra food to eat.
(c) His parents refuse to waste money running the air-conditioning during the day, even though it's 105 outside.
(d) His parents refuse to allow him downstairs into the family room.
2. Why is the Government forbidding Luke's dad from doing a particular thing in Chapter 21?
(a) He is forbidden to leave the house because he's been using too much gasoline.
(b) Hydroponics is outlawed because it has been used to grow illegal drugs in the past.
(c) They don't want the value of the new homes to go down by his cutting down trees.
(d) They want him to collect the chickens eggs.
3. What does the Government spend a great deal of money trying to convince people?
(a) That their whole family will be killed if a third child is found.
(b) That they have people patrolling to see houses with window shades down all the time.
(c) That having a third child means you're a bad citizen.
(d) That they can monitor television and computer screens.
4. What does Luke suggest that his mother do in Chapter 25?
(a) Look for a new job.
(b) Make a cake.
(c) Take a day off from work.
(d) Go over and welcome the new neighbors.
5. What does Luke sneak into the kitchen for the day of the rally?
(a) To listen to the radio.
(b) To make a sandwich.
(c) To bake some bread.
(d) To look out the window.
6. Jen sends Luke home with a bunch of books. What is the name of the book Luke struggles to read?
(a) The Food Crisis.
(b) The Population Crisis.
(c) The Population Disasters.
(d) The Food Disasters.
7. What has Jen been using her visits with Luke for?
(a) Research for how other third children live.
(b) A break in her tedious life.
(c) An excuse to get to know a boy.
(d) Breaks from planning her rally.
8. What does Luke get up at dawn to clean in Chapter 25?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) His room.
(c) Muddy footprints.
(d) The family room.
9. When Jen was younger, where did her mom take her to meet other third children?
(a) A party.
(b) Secret meetings.
(c) A play group.
(d) A carnival.
10. What does Jen plan on doing at the rally she is organizing?
(a) She and hundreds of shadow children are going to throw stones at the town square.
(b) She and hundreds of shadow children are going to torch the President's house.
(c) She and hundreds of shadow children are going to march on the Presiden't house.
(d) She and hundreds of shadow children are going to hold a sit-in at the townsquare.
11. How many times does Luke visit Jen in March?
(a) Three times.
(b) Five times.
12. Why can't Luke signal Jen on the second day after he meets her?
(a) It rains so his Dad spends the day indoors working on paperwork and books for the farm.
(b) His brother is home sick from school.
(c) His mom took the day off so she could catch up on some housework.
(d) Luke has the stomach flu.
13. What brave thing does Jen do for Luke at the end of Chapter 16 that amazes Luke?
(a) She promises not to tell anyone about Luke.
(b) Luke cuts his leg at her house and blood and drops on the carpet, so Jen cuts her leg to show her parents.
(c) She tells her family about Luke.
(d) Luke cuts his hand at her house and blood and drips on the carpet, so Jen cuts her hand to show her parents.
14. What type of people does Luke tell Jen change the world?
(a) Rich people.
(b) Smart people.
(c) Poor people.
(d) Brave people.
15. How did Jen's father know that Luke was in his house?
(a) He just had carmeras installed.
(b) He heard him breaking in.
(c) He gets notified whenever the alarm goes off, even if the alarm is cancelled.
(d) He got a phone call from another neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luke break into Jen's house in Chapter 26?
2. What does Jen use that allows her to go shopping?
3. What does Luke agonize over the three days after he refuses to go with Jen to the rally?
4. What does Luke's mom think of his suggestion to her in Chapter 25?
5. What does Jen's father have pointed at Luke when he discovers him in his house?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)