|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luke tells his brother he put into the bread?
2. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's lopsided and lumpy.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's burnt.
(d) It's a funny color.
3. What do Dad, Matthew, and Mark load up for slaughter at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Luke realizes his home is not a sanctuary but a ___________.
(a) Black hole.
(b) Hide out.
5. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
(a) Four times the usual amount.
(b) Five times the usual amount.
(c) Three times the usual amount.
(d) Two times the usual amount.
6. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
(a) That he had the guts to sneak over to her house.
(b) That he is crying.
(c) That he has never met anybody outside of his parents and brothers.
(d) That he has never seen a girl before.
7. It's harvest time and the family is working harder than ever, what does Luke's mom make sure to leave him every day?
(a) A new pile of books.
(b) A supply of food.
(c) Some new video games.
(d) A jug of water.
8. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
(a) They are famous.
(b) They are really rich people.
(c) They are gangsters.
(d) They are of royal blood.
9. Why does Luke's mother make him sit and eat his breakfast on the bottom step to the attic?
(a) He is being punished for looking out the window.
(b) The construction workers have started to wonder why the family's shades are always drawn.
(c) He has dirt on his shoes.
(d) He is not allowed anywhere else in the house.
10. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
11. What is Luke delighted to find after his whole family leaves in a hurry in Chapter 8?
(a) The kitchen window shade is down.
(b) A freshly baked cake.
(c) The kitchen windown shade is up.
(d) A big slab of butter for his toast.
12. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
(a) They are in a big hurry to finish the construction.
(b) They are taking their time with the construction.
(c) They will work late into the night.
(d) They sometimes quit in the middle of the day.
13. Who is going to be living in the new houses being built next to Luke's home?
(a) Miners and their families.
(c) Government workers and other city folk.
14. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
(a) Countryside grasses and pig diseases.
(c) Monster trucks.
15. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
(a) Turns on the radio and eats lunch.
(b) Sits and chats with Luke while they eat lunch.
(c) Reads a book while eating what his wife left him for lunch.
(d) Watches television and eats take-out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name do Luke's Mom and Dad call the new residents that will be living next to them?
2. After Luke's mother calls him to come into the house from the woods, what does Luke do for the first time in his life?
3. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
4. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
5. What does Luke beg his mother to convince his dad of in Chapter 9?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)