|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
(a) He loves them.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is frustrated.
(d) He hates them.
2. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's a funny color.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's burnt.
(d) It's lopsided and lumpy.
3. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 6:00 AM.
(b) 7:00 AM.
(c) 9:00 AM.
(d) 8:00 AM.
4. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Four weeks.
5. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) In the pantry.
(b) Upstairs to hide.
(c) Under the table.
(d) Under his parent's bed.
6. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) Population Police! Open up!
(b) Open loser!
(c) You in there Lukey?!
(d) Better hide!
7. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
(a) For asking for seconds at dinner.
(b) For asking about why he must sleep in the attic.
(c) For asking when he'll be able to go outside again.
(d) For asking if he'll be able to look out the windows when people move into the new houses.
8. Who did Luke's Mother hide her pregnancy from?
(a) A few of her friends.
(b) Her father and sisters.
(c) Her brothers.
(d) Everyone, even her own mother and sisters.
9. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
(a) Threaten people.
(b) Plead with people.
(c) Bribe people.
(d) Trust only a select amount of people.
10. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
(a) Harvest the fields.
(b) They are in school.
(c) Take care of the animals and yard.
(d) Plow the fields.
11. What does Luke call the new family that has a row of birdhouses in their backyard?
(a) The Bird bath family.
(b) The Birdy family.
(c) The Birdbrain family.
(d) The Chirpy family.
12. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
(a) A tramp.
(b) A little girl.
(c) A little boy.
(d) A pregnant woman.
13. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
(a) His savior.
(b) His new best friend.
(c) His ticket out.
(d) His lucky day.
14. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
(a) He sets off the alarm.
(b) He walks quietly inside and explores the house.
(c) He's attacked by a dog.
(d) He gets stuck trying to get through the screen door.
15. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
(a) He knows his family is only trying to protect him.
(b) He knows they will not listen to him.
(c) He knows he will only get himself in more trouble.
(d) He is too upset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the orders Luke recalls the Government giving his family in the past?
2. Why does the girl who pinned Luke down after entering her house let him go?
3. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
4. Luke realizes his home is not a sanctuary but a ___________.
5. What do Luke's brothers, Matthew and Mark, complain that they will have to do since Luke is not allowed outside anymore?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)