|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
(a) They didn't care what the Government thought.
(b) They were too scared.
(c) They were mad at the Government.
(d) The law was new and they figured the Government would get over its foolishness.
2. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's burnt.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's lopsided and lumpy.
(d) It's a funny color.
3. What does Luke yell out in a panic to the girl whose house he has just broke into?
(a) "Population Police!"
(b) "Let me go!"
(c) "Please don't hurt me!"
(d) "I'll get you!"
4. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(b) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
(c) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(d) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
5. What time does Luke's Mom get home from work?
(a) 6:30 PM.
(b) 7:00 PM.
(c) 6:00 PM.
(d) 5:30 PM.
6. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
(a) He knows they will not listen to him.
(b) He knows he will only get himself in more trouble.
(c) He knows his family is only trying to protect him.
(d) He is too upset.
7. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
(a) His grandparents.
(b) Bus loads of people coming to look at the new houses.
(c) People in cheap cars wishing they could buy the houses.
(d) People in expensive looking cars looking to buy the houses.
8. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 6:00 AM.
(b) 8:00 AM.
(c) 7:00 AM.
(d) 9:00 AM.
9. After Luke tells Jen how he found out about her, what is Jen stunned to hear about Luke?
(a) That he has never left his own property and he has been trapped in his house for months.
(b) That his parents make him eat breakfast on the stairs.
(c) That his brothers tease him about being a third child.
(d) That his dad yelled at him for cleaning the house and baking bread.
10. Why does the girl who pinned Luke down after entering her house let him go?
(a) She feels bad for hurting him.
(b) She realizes he's another third child.
(c) She thinks he's cute.
(d) She's scared of him.
11. What does Mother do when she opens the tax bill?
(a) She is so startled she drops it.
(b) She begins to weep over it.
(c) She clutches it to her chest.
(d) She tears it to pieces.
12. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
(a) Monster trucks.
(c) Countryside grasses and pig diseases.
13. After Luke's mother calls him to come into the house from the woods, what does Luke do for the first time in his life?
(a) He yells "no" at her.
(b) He does not obey right away.
(c) He comes immediately.
(d) He runs away and hides.
14. What makes Luke decide he must act now if he wants to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) Lots of the trees are being cut down.
(b) The trees are beginning to lose their leaves.
(c) His parents are thinking about locking him in his room all day.
(d) Cops are beginning to scrutinize the area.
15. What does Luke's mother say is the reason she became pregnant with him?
(a) It was an accident and they were very upset about it.
(b) They planned to get pregnant.
(c) They were forced to get pregnant.
(d) It was an accident but they wanted him very much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
2. What do Luke's brothers, Matthew and Mark, complain that they will have to do since Luke is not allowed outside anymore?
3. What does Luke beg his mother to convince his dad of in Chapter 9?
4. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
5. What time does Luke notice all the new houses are empty by?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)