|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Luke's favorite types of books to read?
(d) Science Fiction.
2. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
(a) They are in school.
(b) Take care of the animals and yard.
(c) Harvest the fields.
(d) Plow the fields.
3. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's a funny color.
(b) It's burnt.
(c) It's doughy.
(d) It's lopsided and lumpy.
4. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
(a) Run around outside at night.
(b) Turn the music up really loud and sing along.
(c) Play with fire.
(d) Set off the house alarm.
5. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
(a) Because he disobeyed his father.
(b) Because the woods are being cut down.
(c) Because he did not listen to his mother.
(d) Because he was seen by a stranger.
6. What does Luke's mother say is the reason she became pregnant with him?
(a) It was an accident but they wanted him very much.
(b) They planned to get pregnant.
(c) It was an accident and they were very upset about it.
(d) They were forced to get pregnant.
7. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
(a) The law was new and they figured the Government would get over its foolishness.
(b) They were too scared.
(c) They didn't care what the Government thought.
(d) They were mad at the Government.
8. It's harvest time and the family is working harder than ever, what does Luke's mom make sure to leave him every day?
(a) A jug of water.
(b) Some new video games.
(c) A new pile of books.
(d) A supply of food.
9. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
(a) Watches television and eats take-out.
(b) Reads a book while eating what his wife left him for lunch.
(c) Turns on the radio and eats lunch.
(d) Sits and chats with Luke while they eat lunch.
10. Since not being able to eat breakfast with the whole family, why doesn't Luke ask for butter for his toast anymore?
(a) He will get yelled at for being a nusiance.
(b) He doesn't like butter anymore.
(c) Someone would have to pretend they forgot something in order to safely pass him the butter dish.
(d) His mom gives him jam now.
11. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) You in there Lukey?!
(b) Better hide!
(c) Population Police! Open up!
(d) Open loser!
12. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
(a) He sets off the alarm.
(b) He gets stuck trying to get through the screen door.
(c) He walks quietly inside and explores the house.
(d) He's attacked by a dog.
13. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
(a) The sound of falling trees in the distance.
(b) The creek rushing by.
(c) The birds chirping.
(d) The sound of twigs breaking.
14. Since the woods near his home were torn down, how many months has Luke been trapped inside his house?
15. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
(a) He is too upset.
(b) He knows they will not listen to him.
(c) He knows his family is only trying to protect him.
(d) He knows he will only get himself in more trouble.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke tells his brother he put into the bread?
2. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
3. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
4. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
5. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)