|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
(a) A drain.
(b) The ventilation shafts.
(c) Two tiny windows.
(d) A small hole in the wall.
2. What time of the day is it when Luke sees the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window of one of the new houses?
(a) 11 PM.
(b) 10 AM.
(c) 10 PM.
(d) 11 AM.
3. How big are the houses being built next to Luke's home?
4. How do the people moving next to Luke's family's home dress?
5. What time does Luke notice all the new houses are empty by?
(a) 9:00 AM.
(b) 8:30 AM.
(c) 8:00 AM.
(d) 7:30 AM.
6. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) Under his parent's bed.
(b) Under the table.
(c) In the pantry.
(d) Upstairs to hide.
7. Why doesn't Luke tell his mother about what he has found in his room allowing him to look outside?
(a) He wants it to be his secret.
(b) He knows they will cover it up.
(c) He fears they will forbid him from using it anymore.
(d) He doesn't want to get in trouble.
8. What does Jen do when Luke asks her questions about that day he saw her?
(a) She answers him.
(b) She slaps his face.
(c) She waves the questions away.
(d) She laughs at him.
9. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) Population Police! Open up!
(b) Better hide!
(c) Open loser!
(d) You in there Lukey?!
10. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
(a) The sight of snow.
(b) The sight of bulldozers.
(c) The sight of a dog.
(d) The sight of so many people.
11. What do Luke's parents tell him that the Government forced them to sell?
(a) Their cabin by the lake.
(b) The woods next to their house.
(c) Their car.
(d) Their house.
12. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's a funny color.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's lopsided and lumpy.
(d) It's burnt.
13. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
(b) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(c) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(d) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
14. What new house does Luke spy a child looking out the window of after his dad banishes him from the kitchen?
(a) Big Car Family House.
(b) Gold Family House.
(c) Birdbrain Family House.
(d) Sport's Family House.
15. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
(a) Stories of what the Population Police does to pregnant women.
(b) Pictures of what the Population Police does to third babies.
(c) Ads advertising the reward for turning in people who have more than two children.
(d) The Government's ads talking about how the Population Police would do anything to enforce the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
2. In Chapter 5, what does the letter from the Government tell Luke's father to get rid of?
3. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
4. Since not being able to eat breakfast with the whole family, why doesn't Luke ask for butter for his toast anymore?
5. What does Luke tells his brother he put into the bread?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)