|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Dad, Matthew, and Mark load up for slaughter at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
(a) Mark's birthday party.
(b) His mother's birthday party.
(c) His father's birthday party.
(d) Matthew's birthday party.
3. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
(a) They sometimes quit in the middle of the day.
(b) They are in a big hurry to finish the construction.
(c) They are taking their time with the construction.
(d) They will work late into the night.
4. What are Luke's favorite types of books to read?
(b) Science Fiction.
5. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
(a) They are gangsters.
(b) They are famous.
(c) They are of royal blood.
(d) They are really rich people.
6. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
(a) The law was new and they figured the Government would get over its foolishness.
(b) They were too scared.
(c) They didn't care what the Government thought.
(d) They were mad at the Government.
7. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
(a) Stories of what the Population Police does to pregnant women.
(b) The Government's ads talking about how the Population Police would do anything to enforce the law.
(c) Ads advertising the reward for turning in people who have more than two children.
(d) Pictures of what the Population Police does to third babies.
8. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, do while she talks on the phone to her dad?
(a) She yawns.
(b) She drums her fingers on the table.
(c) She bites her nails.
(d) She rolls her eyes.
9. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) The fresh air on his face.
(b) The breeze ruffling his clothes.
(c) The crunch of gravel under his feet.
(d) The feel of the sun on his face.
10. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
(a) A little boy.
(b) A little girl.
(c) A pregnant woman.
(d) A tramp.
11. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 6:00 AM.
(b) 8:00 AM.
(c) 9:00 AM.
(d) 7:00 AM.
12. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(b) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
(c) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(d) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
13. Why is Luke's Dad furious with him in Chapter 8?
(a) He catches Luke singing loudly.
(b) He catches Luke outside.
(c) He catches Luke downstairs in the middle of the day.
(d) He catches Luke looking out the windows.
14. Who did Luke's Mother hide her pregnancy from?
(a) A few of her friends.
(b) Her father and sisters.
(c) Everyone, even her own mother and sisters.
(d) Her brothers.
15. Why does the girl who pinned Luke down after entering her house let him go?
(a) She feels bad for hurting him.
(b) She's scared of him.
(c) She realizes he's another third child.
(d) She thinks he's cute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
2. What makes Luke decide he must act now if he wants to sneak over to the third child's house?
3. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
4. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
5. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)