|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
(a) He loves them.
(b) He is frustrated.
(c) He is sad.
(d) He hates them.
2. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
(a) She wanted to see if her brothers were home.
(b) She was looking for birds.
(c) She was checking that her mirrors were working properly.
(d) She was trying to spy on the neighbors.
3. What do Dad, Matthew, and Mark load up for slaughter at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
(a) For asking about why he must sleep in the attic.
(b) For asking for seconds at dinner.
(c) For asking if he'll be able to look out the windows when people move into the new houses.
(d) For asking when he'll be able to go outside again.
5. What does Luke's Dad slip quietly to Luke every day around noon?
(a) Two sandwiches.
(c) Some vegetables.
(d) A couple cookies.
6. What makes Luke decide he must act now if he wants to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) Lots of the trees are being cut down.
(b) His parents are thinking about locking him in his room all day.
(c) Cops are beginning to scrutinize the area.
(d) The trees are beginning to lose their leaves.
7. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
(a) Pictures of what the Population Police does to third babies.
(b) Ads advertising the reward for turning in people who have more than two children.
(c) Stories of what the Population Police does to pregnant women.
(d) The Government's ads talking about how the Population Police would do anything to enforce the law.
8. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
(a) The new girl down the road.
(b) The outdoors.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
9. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) Open loser!
(b) Population Police! Open up!
(c) Better hide!
(d) You in there Lukey?!
10. It's harvest time and the family is working harder than ever, what does Luke's mom make sure to leave him every day?
(a) A new pile of books.
(b) A jug of water.
(c) A supply of food.
(d) Some new video games.
11. Why does the girl who pinned Luke down after entering her house let him go?
(a) She's scared of him.
(b) She thinks he's cute.
(c) She realizes he's another third child.
(d) She feels bad for hurting him.
12. Who is going to be living in the new houses being built next to Luke's home?
(a) Miners and their families.
(d) Government workers and other city folk.
13. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
(a) A little girl.
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) A tramp.
(d) A little boy.
14. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 8:00 AM.
(b) 7:00 AM.
(c) 6:00 AM.
(d) 9:00 AM.
15. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
(a) The sliding glass door.
(b) The back door.
(c) The front door.
(d) The kitchen windown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
2. What does Luke yell out in a panic to the girl whose house he has just broke into?
3. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
4. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
5. Why does Luke's mother make him sit and eat his breakfast on the bottom step to the attic?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)