|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does the letter from the Government tell Luke's father to get rid of?
(a) Their horses.
(b) Their hogs.
(c) Their sheep.
(d) Their cows.
2. What does Luke's Dad slip quietly to Luke every day around noon?
(b) Two sandwiches.
(c) A couple cookies.
(d) Some vegetables.
3. What time does Luke notice all the new houses are empty by?
(a) 7:30 AM.
(b) 8:30 AM.
(c) 9:00 AM.
(d) 8:00 AM.
4. What does Luke tells his brother he put into the bread?
5. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's burnt.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's a funny color.
(d) It's lopsided and lumpy.
6. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(b) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(c) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
(d) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
7. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
(a) Harvest the fields.
(b) They are in school.
(c) Take care of the animals and yard.
(d) Plow the fields.
8. Since not being able to eat breakfast with the whole family, why doesn't Luke ask for butter for his toast anymore?
(a) He doesn't like butter anymore.
(b) He will get yelled at for being a nusiance.
(c) Someone would have to pretend they forgot something in order to safely pass him the butter dish.
(d) His mom gives him jam now.
9. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
(a) Turn the music up really loud and sing along.
(b) Run around outside at night.
(c) Set off the house alarm.
(d) Play with fire.
10. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
(a) His father.
(b) The new girl down the road.
(c) The outdoors.
(d) His mother.
11. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
(a) That he has never seen a girl before.
(b) That he has never met anybody outside of his parents and brothers.
(c) That he is crying.
(d) That he had the guts to sneak over to her house.
12. What does the girl, who's a third child like Luke, do that shocks him?
(a) She picks up the phone to call her dad.
(b) She gives Luke a big hug.
(c) She picks up the phone to call her mom.
(d) She kicks Luke.
13. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
(a) Plead with people.
(b) Bribe people.
(c) Threaten people.
(d) Trust only a select amount of people.
14. What do Luke's brothers, Matthew and Mark, complain that they will have to do since Luke is not allowed outside anymore?
(a) All of his chores.
(b) Taking out the garbage.
(c) The fishing.
(d) The laundry.
15. How big are the houses being built next to Luke's home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dad say is the reason for the tax increase on their property?
2. What makes Luke decide he must act now if he wants to sneak over to the third child's house?
3. Who had bet Jen that she didn't know what the weather was like outside?
4. Since the woods near his home were torn down, how many months has Luke been trapped inside his house?
5. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)