|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Luke's mother calls him to come into the house from the woods, what does Luke do for the first time in his life?
(a) He yells "no" at her.
(b) He runs away and hides.
(c) He comes immediately.
(d) He does not obey right away.
2. What does Luke's Dad slip quietly to Luke every day around noon?
(a) Two sandwiches.
(b) Some vegetables.
(c) A couple cookies.
3. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) The breeze ruffling his clothes.
(b) The fresh air on his face.
(c) The feel of the sun on his face.
(d) The crunch of gravel under his feet.
4. What does Mother do when she opens the tax bill?
(a) She begins to weep over it.
(b) She is so startled she drops it.
(c) She tears it to pieces.
(d) She clutches it to her chest.
5. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
(a) Her work permit.
(b) An offer from someone to buy their farm.
(c) Another new bill.
(d) An inheritance from her mother.
6. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
(a) The Government's ads talking about how the Population Police would do anything to enforce the law.
(b) Ads advertising the reward for turning in people who have more than two children.
(c) Stories of what the Population Police does to pregnant women.
(d) Pictures of what the Population Police does to third babies.
7. Who did Luke's Mother hide her pregnancy from?
(a) Her father and sisters.
(b) Her brothers.
(c) Everyone, even her own mother and sisters.
(d) A few of her friends.
8. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
9. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(b) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(c) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(d) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
10. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) Better hide!
(b) Open loser!
(c) Population Police! Open up!
(d) You in there Lukey?!
11. In Chapter 5, what does the letter from the Government tell Luke's father to get rid of?
(a) Their sheep.
(b) Their hogs.
(c) Their horses.
(d) Their cows.
12. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
(a) Watches television and eats take-out.
(b) Sits and chats with Luke while they eat lunch.
(c) Reads a book while eating what his wife left him for lunch.
(d) Turns on the radio and eats lunch.
13. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
(a) He is frustrated.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He hates them.
(d) He loves them.
14. Why does the girl who pinned Luke down after entering her house let him go?
(a) She feels bad for hurting him.
(b) She thinks he's cute.
(c) She realizes he's another third child.
(d) She's scared of him.
15. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
(a) The sun rise.
(b) His family eat breakfast.
(c) The animals out his window.
(d) The work on the new houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
2. What does Luke imagine in Chapter 7, which he feels guilty about?
3. What does Luke call the new family that has a row of birdhouses in their backyard?
4. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
5. The female third child introduces herself as Jennifer Rose Talbot; who does she say is usually very jumpy people?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)