|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Luke's parents take the Population Law seriously when they became pregnant?
(a) They were too scared.
(b) They didn't care what the Government thought.
(c) The law was new and they figured the Government would get over its foolishness.
(d) They were mad at the Government.
2. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(b) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(c) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(d) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
3. What does the female third child apologize to Luke for after she sees him staring at the door as if he means to make a run for it?
(a) Making fun of him.
(b) Kicking him.
(c) Scaring him.
(d) Yelling at him.
4. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
(a) His father's birthday party.
(b) Matthew's birthday party.
(c) Mark's birthday party.
(d) His mother's birthday party.
5. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's burnt.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's lopsided and lumpy.
(d) It's a funny color.
6. What has gone down so low in price that the Luke's father and mother worry about how they will get by?
7. Why doesn't Luke tell his mother about what he has found in his room allowing him to look outside?
(a) He wants it to be his secret.
(b) He doesn't want to get in trouble.
(c) He knows they will cover it up.
(d) He fears they will forbid him from using it anymore.
8. What new house does Luke spy a child looking out the window of after his dad banishes him from the kitchen?
(a) Sport's Family House.
(b) Birdbrain Family House.
(c) Gold Family House.
(d) Big Car Family House.
9. What does Luke yell out in a panic to the girl whose house he has just broke into?
(a) "Please don't hurt me!"
(b) "I'll get you!"
(c) "Let me go!"
(d) "Population Police!"
10. What are some of the orders Luke recalls the Government giving his family in the past?
(a) Where to plant their tomatoes and how much they can keep for their family.
(b) Where to plant their potatoes and how much they can plant.
(c) Where to plant their pumpkins and where to sell them.
(d) Where to plant their corn and how much to charge for their crops.
11. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He loves them.
(c) He is frustrated.
(d) He is sad.
12. What are Luke's favorite types of books to read?
(c) Science Fiction.
13. What does Luke beg his mother to convince his dad of in Chapter 9?
(a) Allowing Luke back in the kitchen.
(b) Allowing Luke outside.
(c) Allowing Luke to listen to the radio.
(d) Allowing Luke to look out the windows.
14. What does Luke tells his brother he put into the bread?
15. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
(a) Watches television and eats take-out.
(b) Turns on the radio and eats lunch.
(c) Sits and chats with Luke while they eat lunch.
(d) Reads a book while eating what his wife left him for lunch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Luke recall showing up, surprisingly, at his family's home years ago, begging for food?
2. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
3. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
4. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
5. What does the girl, who's a third child like Luke, do that shocks him?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)