|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the female third child apologize to Luke for after she sees him staring at the door as if he means to make a run for it?
(a) Making fun of him.
(b) Kicking him.
(c) Yelling at him.
(d) Scaring him.
2. Since the woods near his home were torn down, how many months has Luke been trapped inside his house?
3. What are Luke's favorite types of books to read?
(d) Science Fiction.
4. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(b) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
(c) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(d) When his dad comes home for lunch.
5. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
(a) The ventilation shafts.
(b) A drain.
(c) A small hole in the wall.
(d) Two tiny windows.
6. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
(a) For asking if he'll be able to look out the windows when people move into the new houses.
(b) For asking for seconds at dinner.
(c) For asking when he'll be able to go outside again.
(d) For asking about why he must sleep in the attic.
7. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
(a) Run around outside at night.
(b) Play with fire.
(c) Turn the music up really loud and sing along.
(d) Set off the house alarm.
8. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
(a) Trust only a select amount of people.
(b) Threaten people.
(c) Bribe people.
(d) Plead with people.
9. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
10. What time does Luke's Mom get home from work?
(a) 5:30 PM.
(b) 6:00 PM.
(c) 7:00 PM.
(d) 6:30 PM.
11. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, say about the Government monitoring phone calls?
(a) Her parents are too rich for the Government to bother.
(b) They are understaffed and too incompetent to do a good job monitoring phone calls.
(c) They have bigger problems to worry about.
(d) They are too stupid to notice anything.
12. What does the girl, who's a third child like Luke, do that shocks him?
(a) She gives Luke a big hug.
(b) She kicks Luke.
(c) She picks up the phone to call her dad.
(d) She picks up the phone to call her mom.
13. What does Luke call the new family that has a row of birdhouses in their backyard?
(a) The Chirpy family.
(b) The Bird bath family.
(c) The Birdbrain family.
(d) The Birdy family.
14. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
(a) Because he was seen by a stranger.
(b) Because he disobeyed his father.
(c) Because he did not listen to his mother.
(d) Because the woods are being cut down.
15. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
(a) He is too upset.
(b) He knows they will not listen to him.
(c) He knows he will only get himself in more trouble.
(d) He knows his family is only trying to protect him.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
2. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
3. What does Mark offer to play a game of with Luke to cheer him up after barging into his room?
4. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
5. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)