|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luke's Dad slip quietly to Luke every day around noon?
(a) Two sandwiches.
(c) Some vegetables.
(d) A couple cookies.
2. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
(a) Run around outside at night.
(b) Play with fire.
(c) Turn the music up really loud and sing along.
(d) Set off the house alarm.
3. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
(a) The front door.
(b) The back door.
(c) The kitchen windown.
(d) The sliding glass door.
4. Luke realizes his home is not a sanctuary but a ___________.
(a) Hide out.
(b) Black hole.
5. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
(a) The ventilation shafts.
(b) A drain.
(c) A small hole in the wall.
(d) Two tiny windows.
6. Why is Luke's Dad furious with him in Chapter 8?
(a) He catches Luke downstairs in the middle of the day.
(b) He catches Luke looking out the windows.
(c) He catches Luke outside.
(d) He catches Luke singing loudly.
7. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
(a) For asking when he'll be able to go outside again.
(b) For asking for seconds at dinner.
(c) For asking about why he must sleep in the attic.
(d) For asking if he'll be able to look out the windows when people move into the new houses.
8. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
(a) That he has never seen a girl before.
(b) That he has never met anybody outside of his parents and brothers.
(c) That he had the guts to sneak over to her house.
(d) That he is crying.
9. After Luke tells Jen how he found out about her, what is Jen stunned to hear about Luke?
(a) That his brothers tease him about being a third child.
(b) That he has never left his own property and he has been trapped in his house for months.
(c) That his parents make him eat breakfast on the stairs.
(d) That his dad yelled at him for cleaning the house and baking bread.
10. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
(b) Monster trucks.
(c) Countryside grasses and pig diseases.
11. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
(a) Because he was seen by a stranger.
(b) Because he disobeyed his father.
(c) Because the woods are being cut down.
(d) Because he did not listen to his mother.
12. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
(a) Threaten people.
(b) Bribe people.
(c) Trust only a select amount of people.
(d) Plead with people.
13. What does the girl, who's a third child like Luke, do that shocks him?
(a) She picks up the phone to call her dad.
(b) She kicks Luke.
(c) She picks up the phone to call her mom.
(d) She gives Luke a big hug.
14. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
(a) The work on the new houses.
(b) The sun rise.
(c) The animals out his window.
(d) His family eat breakfast.
15. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) Open loser!
(b) You in there Lukey?!
(c) Population Police! Open up!
(d) Better hide!
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people moving next to Luke's family's home dress?
2. What does Luke call the new family that has a row of birdhouses in their backyard?
3. It's harvest time and the family is working harder than ever, what does Luke's mom make sure to leave him every day?
4. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
5. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)