|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
(a) They are really rich people.
(b) They are famous.
(c) They are of royal blood.
(d) They are gangsters.
2. What does Luke tells his brother he put into the bread?
3. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 7:00 AM.
(b) 6:00 AM.
(c) 8:00 AM.
(d) 9:00 AM.
4. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
(a) They are taking their time with the construction.
(b) They will work late into the night.
(c) They sometimes quit in the middle of the day.
(d) They are in a big hurry to finish the construction.
5. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
(a) He is too upset.
(b) He knows his family is only trying to protect him.
(c) He knows they will not listen to him.
(d) He knows he will only get himself in more trouble.
6. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
(a) The animals out his window.
(b) The sun rise.
(c) His family eat breakfast.
(d) The work on the new houses.
7. Luke begins watching the house where he saw the child's face constantly, on which day of his vigil does he see the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window?
(a) Second day.
(b) Fifth day.
(c) Third day.
(d) Fourth day.
8. What does Luke yell out in a panic to the girl whose house he has just broke into?
(a) "I'll get you!"
(b) "Population Police!"
(c) "Please don't hurt me!"
(d) "Let me go!"
9. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) In the pantry.
(b) Under his parent's bed.
(c) Upstairs to hide.
(d) Under the table.
10. How do the people moving next to Luke's family's home dress?
11. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
(a) Threaten people.
(b) Trust only a select amount of people.
(c) Bribe people.
(d) Plead with people.
12. What has Luke been taught all his life to fear?
(a) Open spaces.
(c) Other children.
13. What are some of the orders Luke recalls the Government giving his family in the past?
(a) Where to plant their pumpkins and where to sell them.
(b) Where to plant their corn and how much to charge for their crops.
(c) Where to plant their tomatoes and how much they can keep for their family.
(d) Where to plant their potatoes and how much they can plant.
14. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
(a) The outdoors.
(b) The new girl down the road.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
15. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
(a) Set off the house alarm.
(b) Play with fire.
(c) Run around outside at night.
(d) Turn the music up really loud and sing along.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has gone down so low in price that the Luke's father and mother worry about how they will get by?
2. What does Luke call the new family that has a row of birdhouses in their backyard?
3. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
4. What do Luke's parents tell him that the Government forced them to sell?
5. Why is Luke's Dad furious with him in Chapter 8?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)