|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's a funny color.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's lopsided and lumpy.
(d) It's burnt.
2. What can Luke not stop thinking about, so much so that he can't even concentrate on playing with his favorite toy?
(a) The new girl down the road.
(b) His father.
(c) The outdoors.
(d) His mother.
3. Since not being able to eat breakfast with the whole family, why doesn't Luke ask for butter for his toast anymore?
(a) His mom gives him jam now.
(b) He doesn't like butter anymore.
(c) Someone would have to pretend they forgot something in order to safely pass him the butter dish.
(d) He will get yelled at for being a nusiance.
4. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
(a) He likes to call random people and hang up.
(b) The Government has the technology to trace a call and can even verify the caller's identity.
(c) He tries to call his dad at work too much.
(d) He always talks too long.
5. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
(a) They are in a big hurry to finish the construction.
(b) They sometimes quit in the middle of the day.
(c) They are taking their time with the construction.
(d) They will work late into the night.
6. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) Upstairs to hide.
(b) Under the table.
(c) Under his parent's bed.
(d) In the pantry.
7. What do Dad, Matthew, and Mark load up for slaughter at the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. What name do Luke's Mom and Dad call the new residents that will be living next to them?
9. How big are the houses being built next to Luke's home?
10. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
11. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
(a) That he is crying.
(b) That he has never met anybody outside of his parents and brothers.
(c) That he has never seen a girl before.
(d) That he had the guts to sneak over to her house.
12. What does Luke notice on his 13th day of watching the house where he saw the child's face?
(a) He can spy the outline of a third child at the dinner table.
(b) He glimpses the child's face again.
(c) On a very hot day, the blinds are down, but the family leaves their windows open.
(d) He hears music coming from the house in the middle of the day.
13. What has Luke been taught all his life to fear?
(b) Open spaces.
(c) Other children.
14. Luke realizes his home is not a sanctuary but a ___________.
(a) Hide out.
(d) Black hole.
15. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
(a) Five times the usual amount.
(b) Three times the usual amount.
(c) Four times the usual amount.
(d) Two times the usual amount.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke yell out in a panic to the girl whose house he has just broke into?
2. Why doesn't Luke tell his mother about what he has found in his room allowing him to look outside?
3. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
4. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
5. In Chapter 5, what does the letter from the Government tell Luke's father to get rid of?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)