|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazes Jen about Luke in Chapter 15?
(a) That he has never met anybody outside of his parents and brothers.
(b) That he is crying.
(c) That he had the guts to sneak over to her house.
(d) That he has never seen a girl before.
2. What time does Luke's Mom get home from work?
(a) 7:00 PM.
(b) 6:30 PM.
(c) 5:30 PM.
(d) 6:00 PM.
3. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
4. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
(a) Stories of what the Population Police does to pregnant women.
(b) The Government's ads talking about how the Population Police would do anything to enforce the law.
(c) Ads advertising the reward for turning in people who have more than two children.
(d) Pictures of what the Population Police does to third babies.
5. What are Luke's favorite types of books to read?
(c) Science Fiction.
6. Why does Jen say that she looked out the window the day Luke saw her?
(a) She was checking that her mirrors were working properly.
(b) She wanted to see if her brothers were home.
(c) She was looking for birds.
(d) She was trying to spy on the neighbors.
7. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
(a) Her work permit.
(b) An offer from someone to buy their farm.
(c) Another new bill.
(d) An inheritance from her mother.
8. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
(a) He would beat her.
(b) He would cry.
(c) He would laugh.
(d) He would be furious.
9. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
(a) The Government has the technology to trace a call and can even verify the caller's identity.
(b) He likes to call random people and hang up.
(c) He always talks too long.
(d) He tries to call his dad at work too much.
10. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
(a) He sets off the alarm.
(b) He walks quietly inside and explores the house.
(c) He gets stuck trying to get through the screen door.
(d) He's attacked by a dog.
11. After Luke tells Jen how he found out about her, what is Jen stunned to hear about Luke?
(a) That he has never left his own property and he has been trapped in his house for months.
(b) That his brothers tease him about being a third child.
(c) That his parents make him eat breakfast on the stairs.
(d) That his dad yelled at him for cleaning the house and baking bread.
12. What does Luke's mother say is the reason she became pregnant with him?
(a) They were forced to get pregnant.
(b) They planned to get pregnant.
(c) It was an accident and they were very upset about it.
(d) It was an accident but they wanted him very much.
13. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He loves them.
(d) He is frustrated.
14. Why doesn't Luke protest about not being able to eat at the kitchen table anymore?
(a) He knows he will only get himself in more trouble.
(b) He knows they will not listen to him.
(c) He knows his family is only trying to protect him.
(d) He is too upset.
15. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
(a) Three times the usual amount.
(b) Four times the usual amount.
(c) Two times the usual amount.
(d) Five times the usual amount.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since not being able to eat breakfast with the whole family, why doesn't Luke ask for butter for his toast anymore?
2. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
3. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
4. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
5. What does Luke notice the house with the third child sometimes leaves open?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)