|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
(a) One week.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
2. How much more money is the tax bill from previous years?
(a) Two times the usual amount.
(b) Four times the usual amount.
(c) Five times the usual amount.
(d) Three times the usual amount.
3. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 8:00 AM.
(b) 7:00 AM.
(c) 9:00 AM.
(d) 6:00 AM.
4. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
(a) A small hole in the wall.
(b) The ventilation shafts.
(c) Two tiny windows.
(d) A drain.
5. What does Dad say is the reason for the tax increase on their property?
(a) They have been suspected to be harboring a third child.
(b) The new houses next door have raised the property value of their home.
(c) He wouldn't sell anymore of their farmland, so he is being punished.
(d) The government is in financial trouble.
6. What do Luke's brothers, Matthew and Mark, complain that they will have to do since Luke is not allowed outside anymore?
(a) The laundry.
(b) All of his chores.
(c) The fishing.
(d) Taking out the garbage.
7. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
(a) Matthew's birthday party.
(b) Mark's birthday party.
(c) His father's birthday party.
(d) His mother's birthday party.
8. Who had bet Jen that she didn't know what the weather was like outside?
9. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
(a) They sometimes quit in the middle of the day.
(b) They will work late into the night.
(c) They are in a big hurry to finish the construction.
(d) They are taking their time with the construction.
10. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) The feel of the sun on his face.
(b) The breeze ruffling his clothes.
(c) The fresh air on his face.
(d) The crunch of gravel under his feet.
11. In Chapter 5, what does the letter from the Government tell Luke's father to get rid of?
(a) Their cows.
(b) Their horses.
(c) Their sheep.
(d) Their hogs.
12. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
(a) The creek rushing by.
(b) The sound of twigs breaking.
(c) The birds chirping.
(d) The sound of falling trees in the distance.
13. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
(a) His ticket out.
(b) His savior.
(c) His new best friend.
(d) His lucky day.
14. What does Luke beg his mother to convince his dad of in Chapter 9?
(a) Allowing Luke to look out the windows.
(b) Allowing Luke outside.
(c) Allowing Luke back in the kitchen.
(d) Allowing Luke to listen to the radio.
15. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
(a) The sight of so many people.
(b) The sight of bulldozers.
(c) The sight of a dog.
(d) The sight of snow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
2. What are some of the orders Luke recalls the Government giving his family in the past?
3. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
4. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
5. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)