|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Luke when he finally realized that not all children had to hide from visitors?
2. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
(a) He gets stuck trying to get through the screen door.
(b) He's attacked by a dog.
(c) He walks quietly inside and explores the house.
(d) He sets off the alarm.
3. What does Luke's Dad do every day at lunchtime?
(a) Reads a book while eating what his wife left him for lunch.
(b) Sits and chats with Luke while they eat lunch.
(c) Watches television and eats take-out.
(d) Turns on the radio and eats lunch.
4. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) The fresh air on his face.
(b) The breeze ruffling his clothes.
(c) The crunch of gravel under his feet.
(d) The feel of the sun on his face.
5. What new house does Luke spy a child looking out the window of after his dad banishes him from the kitchen?
(a) Gold Family House.
(b) Big Car Family House.
(c) Birdbrain Family House.
(d) Sport's Family House.
6. Why doesn't Luke tell his mother about what he has found in his room allowing him to look outside?
(a) He knows they will cover it up.
(b) He wants it to be his secret.
(c) He doesn't want to get in trouble.
(d) He fears they will forbid him from using it anymore.
7. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
(a) To make sure his brothers have left for school.
(b) To make sure his father is away at work.
(c) To make sure everyone is awake.
(d) To make sure no visitors are inside the kitchen.
8. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
(a) His new best friend.
(b) His lucky day.
(c) His savior.
(d) His ticket out.
9. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) Better hide!
(b) You in there Lukey?!
(c) Open loser!
(d) Population Police! Open up!
10. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's a funny color.
(b) It's burnt.
(c) It's doughy.
(d) It's lopsided and lumpy.
11. What does Luke's Dad slip quietly to Luke every day around noon?
(a) A couple cookies.
(b) Two sandwiches.
(c) Some vegetables.
12. What does Luke notice on his 13th day of watching the house where he saw the child's face?
(a) He can spy the outline of a third child at the dinner table.
(b) He hears music coming from the house in the middle of the day.
(c) He glimpses the child's face again.
(d) On a very hot day, the blinds are down, but the family leaves their windows open.
13. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
(b) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(c) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(d) When his dad comes home for lunch.
14. What is Luke delighted to find after his whole family leaves in a hurry in Chapter 8?
(a) The kitchen window shade is down.
(b) A freshly baked cake.
(c) A big slab of butter for his toast.
(d) The kitchen windown shade is up.
15. What does the female third child tell Luke she does sometimes just for fun?
(a) Play with fire.
(b) Set off the house alarm.
(c) Run around outside at night.
(d) Turn the music up really loud and sing along.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the new residents that will be living next to Luke called a special name?
2. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
3. What does the female third child apologize to Luke for after she sees him staring at the door as if he means to make a run for it?
4. What time does Luke's Mom get home from work?
5. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)