|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luke's mother say is the reason she became pregnant with him?
(a) It was an accident and they were very upset about it.
(b) They were forced to get pregnant.
(c) It was an accident but they wanted him very much.
(d) They planned to get pregnant.
2. While sitting on the attic step, after how many weeks does Luke finally give up trying to keep up with his family's conversation at meal times?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) One week.
3. What is Luke's favorite part of his day?
(a) When his dad comes home for lunch.
(b) In the morning when he can watch the new houses.
(c) When his brothers come to play checkers with him.
(d) When his mother comes up to tuck him into bed.
4. Since the woods near his home were torn down, how many months has Luke been trapped inside his house?
5. How old was Luke when he finally realized that not all children had to hide from visitors?
6. Luke asks Jen how she is able to meet other people if she is a third child like him; what does Jen explain that her parents do?
(a) Trust only a select amount of people.
(b) Bribe people.
(c) Plead with people.
(d) Threaten people.
7. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
(a) The sound of twigs breaking.
(b) The birds chirping.
(c) The sound of falling trees in the distance.
(d) The creek rushing by.
8. What has Luke been taught all his life to fear?
(b) Open spaces.
(d) Other children.
9. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
(a) A drain.
(b) Two tiny windows.
(c) A small hole in the wall.
(d) The ventilation shafts.
10. Why do Luke's brothers make fun of the bread he made?
(a) It's lopsided and lumpy.
(b) It's doughy.
(c) It's burnt.
(d) It's a funny color.
11. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
(a) Her work permit.
(b) An inheritance from her mother.
(c) An offer from someone to buy their farm.
(d) Another new bill.
12. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) Upstairs to hide.
(b) In the pantry.
(c) Under the table.
(d) Under his parent's bed.
13. What time does Luke's Mom get home from work?
(a) 7:00 PM.
(b) 6:00 PM.
(c) 6:30 PM.
(d) 5:30 PM.
14. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
(a) Because he was seen by a stranger.
(b) Because he did not listen to his mother.
(c) Because he disobeyed his father.
(d) Because the woods are being cut down.
15. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 6:00 AM.
(b) 9:00 AM.
(c) 8:00 AM.
(d) 7:00 AM.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke beg his mother to convince his dad of in Chapter 9?
2. What do Matthew and Mark do while Mom is at work and Dad is fixing the machinery?
3. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
4. Who is going to be living in the new houses being built next to Luke's home?
5. After Luke's mother calls him to come into the house from the woods, what does Luke do for the first time in his life?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)