|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Luke playing with in Chapter 3 that had once been his favorite toy?
(a) A dinosaur.
(b) A dump truck.
(c) A racecar.
(d) A train.
2. Who did Luke's Mother hide her pregnancy from?
(a) A few of her friends.
(b) Everyone, even her own mother and sisters.
(c) Her father and sisters.
(d) Her brothers.
3. What name do Luke's Mom and Dad call the new residents that will be living next to them?
4. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, say about the Government monitoring phone calls?
(a) They are too stupid to notice anything.
(b) Her parents are too rich for the Government to bother.
(c) They have bigger problems to worry about.
(d) They are understaffed and too incompetent to do a good job monitoring phone calls.
5. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) The fresh air on his face.
(b) The feel of the sun on his face.
(c) The breeze ruffling his clothes.
(d) The crunch of gravel under his feet.
6. Why does Luke's mother make him sit and eat his breakfast on the bottom step to the attic?
(a) The construction workers have started to wonder why the family's shades are always drawn.
(b) He is being punished for looking out the window.
(c) He has dirt on his shoes.
(d) He is not allowed anywhere else in the house.
7. Luke punches his hand through the screen door of the third child's house, what happens when he enters the house?
(a) He walks quietly inside and explores the house.
(b) He's attacked by a dog.
(c) He gets stuck trying to get through the screen door.
(d) He sets off the alarm.
8. What time does Luke's Mom have to be at the factory every day?
(a) 8:00 AM.
(b) 7:00 AM.
(c) 6:00 AM.
(d) 9:00 AM.
9. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
(a) The birds chirping.
(b) The sound of falling trees in the distance.
(c) The creek rushing by.
(d) The sound of twigs breaking.
10. What does Mark offer to play a game of with Luke to cheer him up after barging into his room?
11. What does the girl, whose house Luke broke into, do while she talks on the phone to her dad?
(a) She rolls her eyes.
(b) She drums her fingers on the table.
(c) She bites her nails.
(d) She yawns.
12. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
(a) An offer from someone to buy their farm.
(b) Her work permit.
(c) Another new bill.
(d) An inheritance from her mother.
13. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
(a) He would laugh.
(b) He would cry.
(c) He would be furious.
(d) He would beat her.
14. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) Under the table.
(b) In the pantry.
(c) Upstairs to hide.
(d) Under his parent's bed.
15. What time does Luke's Mom get home from work?
(a) 6:00 PM.
(b) 7:00 PM.
(c) 6:30 PM.
(d) 5:30 PM.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so amazing for Luke to look out upon from his room in Chapter 3?
2. The female third child introduces herself as Jennifer Rose Talbot; who does she say is usually very jumpy people?
3. What time of the day is it when Luke sees the blinds flip up and down quickly in an upstairs window of one of the new houses?
4. How does Luke feel about his parents after discovering Jen?
5. What does Mother do when she opens the tax bill?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)