|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
(a) The birds chirping.
(b) The sound of falling trees in the distance.
(c) The creek rushing by.
(d) The sound of twigs breaking.
2. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
(a) His new best friend.
(b) His savior.
(c) His lucky day.
(d) His ticket out.
3. Why does Luke always pause at the bottom of the steps when he comes down for breakfast in the mornings?
(a) To make sure his brothers have left for school.
(b) To make sure everyone is awake.
(c) To make sure no visitors are inside the kitchen.
(d) To make sure his father is away at work.
4. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
(a) He hates them.
(b) He loves them.
(c) He is frustrated.
(d) He is sad.
5. What new house does Luke spy a child looking out the window of after his dad banishes him from the kitchen?
(a) Gold Family House.
(b) Big Car Family House.
(c) Birdbrain Family House.
(d) Sport's Family House.
6. What does Mother do when she opens the tax bill?
(a) She begins to weep over it.
(b) She tears it to pieces.
(c) She clutches it to her chest.
(d) She is so startled she drops it.
7. What time does Luke notice all the new houses are empty by?
(a) 9:00 AM.
(b) 7:30 AM.
(c) 8:00 AM.
(d) 8:30 AM.
8. Why doesn't Luke tell his mother about what he has found in his room allowing him to look outside?
(a) He knows they will cover it up.
(b) He wants it to be his secret.
(c) He fears they will forbid him from using it anymore.
(d) He doesn't want to get in trouble.
9. What does Luke get up at dawn to watch every morning?
(a) The sun rise.
(b) His family eat breakfast.
(c) The animals out his window.
(d) The work on the new houses.
10. What does Mark yell when he knocks on Luke's bedroom door in Chapter 3?
(a) Open loser!
(b) Population Police! Open up!
(c) Better hide!
(d) You in there Lukey?!
11. What is Luke playing with in Chapter 3 that had once been his favorite toy?
(a) A dinosaur.
(b) A racecar.
(c) A train.
(d) A dump truck.
12. What is Luke delighted to find after his whole family leaves in a hurry in Chapter 8?
(a) A freshly baked cake.
(b) The kitchen window shade is down.
(c) A big slab of butter for his toast.
(d) The kitchen windown shade is up.
13. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
(a) The fresh air on his face.
(b) The crunch of gravel under his feet.
(c) The feel of the sun on his face.
(d) The breeze ruffling his clothes.
14. The books Luke reads that are his fathers, what are they about?
(b) Monster trucks.
(d) Countryside grasses and pig diseases.
15. After Luke's mother calls him to come into the house from the woods, what does Luke do for the first time in his life?
(a) He yells "no" at her.
(b) He comes immediately.
(c) He runs away and hides.
(d) He does not obey right away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to be living in the new houses being built next to Luke's home?
2. What does Luke's father get angry with him for asking about in Chapter 1?
3. After Luke tells Jen how he found out about her, what is Jen stunned to hear about Luke?
4. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
5. What do Luke's parents tell him that the Government forced them to sell?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)