|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Luke been banned from using the telephone?
(a) He always talks too long.
(b) He likes to call random people and hang up.
(c) The Government has the technology to trace a call and can even verify the caller's identity.
(d) He tries to call his dad at work too much.
2. After Mark leaves Luke's room, what does Luke notice light pouring out of in his room?
(a) A small hole in the wall.
(b) Two tiny windows.
(c) The ventilation shafts.
(d) A drain.
3. What does Jen do when Luke asks her questions about that day he saw her?
(a) She answers him.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She waves the questions away.
(d) She slaps his face.
4. Why is Luke afraid he will never be allowed outside again?
(a) Because he disobeyed his father.
(b) Because he was seen by a stranger.
(c) Because he did not listen to his mother.
(d) Because the woods are being cut down.
5. How does Luke feel about the new houses being built next to his home?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He loves them.
(c) He is frustrated.
(d) He hates them.
6. What event does Luke recall that made him realize his brothers have never had to hide like him?
(a) His mother's birthday party.
(b) Mark's birthday party.
(c) Matthew's birthday party.
(d) His father's birthday party.
7. Who does Luke spy driving by the new houses while they are being built?
(a) His grandparents.
(b) People in cheap cars wishing they could buy the houses.
(c) People in expensive looking cars looking to buy the houses.
(d) Bus loads of people coming to look at the new houses.
8. Who did Luke's Mother hide her pregnancy from?
(a) Her father and sisters.
(b) Everyone, even her own mother and sisters.
(c) A few of her friends.
(d) Her brothers.
9. How does Jen say her dad would react if he knew she'd been looking out the window?
(a) He would beat her.
(b) He would be furious.
(c) He would cry.
(d) He would laugh.
10. After Jen tells Luke in Chapter 15 that he has come to the right place and to forget that hiding-like-a-mole stuff, what does she tell him that she is?
(a) His savior.
(b) His ticket out.
(c) His new best friend.
(d) His lucky day.
11. While the Garner family is eating dinner in Chapter 1, they hear tires on the gravel driveway. Where does Luke scramble off to?
(a) In the pantry.
(b) Under the table.
(c) Upstairs to hide.
(d) Under his parent's bed.
12. After Matthew asks how the family can possibly pay the property taxes, what does Mother announce she has just received?
(a) Another new bill.
(b) An offer from someone to buy their farm.
(c) Her work permit.
(d) An inheritance from her mother.
13. What is Luke playing with in Chapter 3 that had once been his favorite toy?
(a) A racecar.
(b) A dinosaur.
(c) A dump truck.
(d) A train.
14. How old was Luke when he finally realized that not all children had to hide from visitors?
15. What does Luke's mother say is the reason she became pregnant with him?
(a) It was an accident and they were very upset about it.
(b) It was an accident but they wanted him very much.
(c) They planned to get pregnant.
(d) They were forced to get pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke notice about the construction workers he spies on from his room?
2. What does Luke notice first as he makes his way outside to sneak over to the third child's house?
3. What does Luke listen to while standing in the woods in Chapter 1?
4. What do Dad, Matthew, and Mark load up for slaughter at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What did Luke's mother and father see on TV while pregnant that scared them?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)