Chapters 1 - 5
• Luke Garner is playing in the woods, enjoying his last moments of freedom.
• Luke is afraid he will never be let outside again.
• Luke's parents tell him that the Government forced them to sell the woods next to their house.
• The woods are being torn down to put in houses for Government workers and other city folks.
• Luke wishes he could look out the window at the woods one more time, but he is not allowed to look out windows.
• Luke's father gets angry with him for asking to look out the window.
• Luke wonders what will happen if anyone ever saw him in the window -- his parents have never explained.
• Luke's brothers, Mark and Matthew, complain that they will have to do Luke's chores now that he can't go outside anymore.
• Luke's mother hides his plate in the cupboard and stashes his chair...
This section contains 2,345 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)