|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things happened in Kelly School during the early winter that affected Mrs. Zajac deeply?
2. What song did the girls sing on the bus ride from their field trip back to school?
3. Who was missing from Clarence's core evaluation meeting?
4. What did Mrs. Zajac decide to work on with Claude for the rest of the year?
5. What does Robert say to Mrs. Zajac one day to show her he had not done his homework?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of behavior did Robert exhibit that concerned Mrs. Zajac? What did she want Robert's mother to do? Did Robert's mother follow through with this suggestion?
2. What was the Alpha class? Who decided whether a child was appropriate for the Alpha class?
3. Who in Mrs. Zajac's class won a ribbon for their Science Fair project? How did the ribbon recipients respond to being awarded for their efforts? How did the other children respond to the award?
4. What did Mrs. Zajac dream about the night before her first day in class without Clarence? How does she feel as the week begins and Clarence is not there?
5. What were some of the differences Mrs. Zajac noticed between the English Mass and the Spanish mass? What did she learn about the Puerto Rican culture by attending the bilingual mass Father Joyce offered?
6. Where was Robert during the Science Fair? What did Mrs. Zajac learn about Robert and his efforts to participate in the Science Fair?
7. How did Kelly Schools fare on the standardized tees the sixth grade took? How did Principal Laudato respond to this news? How did Mrs. Zajac respond?
8. As the class approached spring break, how did Mrs. Zajac feel about her class? About herself? What were her parting words to Jimmy as the children leave for a week's break?
9. What is the history of Puerto Ricans in the town of Holyoke? How were they treated in the second half of the twentieth century?
10. What did Mrs. Zajac experience during her trip to Puerto Rico that surprised and delighted her? Why was this an important experience on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Suzanne? What role did she play in Mrs. Zajac's life? Why did the writer tell us about Suzanne?
Essay Topic 2
What specific challenges did teaching math in her classroom present to Mrs. Zajac? What teaching skills did she employ in order to meet the challenge?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Zajac's classroom had many Puerto Rican students in it. How were Puerto Ricans treated in Holyoke? How were they represented in the school? What were some of the things Mrs. Zajac did to honor the Puerto Rican students in her class, and their culture?
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)