|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac dread telling Clarence before spring break?
2. When she returned from February vacation, what does Mrs. Zajac think about Clarence?
3. Why did Felipe's father choose to live in the Flats?
4. What did Mrs. Zajac realize was the reason she was unable to sleep?
5. Who was Jim Padden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac experience during her trip to Puerto Rico that surprised and delighted her? Why was this an important experience on the trip?
2. How did Mrs. Zajac think the students in her class would react to Clarence's departure from their class? How did they actually respond to Clarence not being in the classroom?
3. How did Mrs. Zajac differ outside of her class from inside her classroom?
4. What were some of the differences Mrs. Zajac noticed between the English Mass and the Spanish mass? What did she learn about the Puerto Rican culture by attending the bilingual mass Father Joyce offered?
5. Where was Robert during the Science Fair? What did Mrs. Zajac learn about Robert and his efforts to participate in the Science Fair?
6. Who in Mrs. Zajac's class won a ribbon for their Science Fair project? How did the ribbon recipients respond to being awarded for their efforts? How did the other children respond to the award?
7. How did some of the teachers at Kelly School speak about the Puerto Rican students at Kelly School? Why did they respond this way to them?
8. What were some of the other students' projects entered in the science fair? How did Mrs. Zajac feel about the parents who did not help their children with their Science Fair projects?
9. Who were the four students Mrs. Zajac thought would probably fail the sixth grade standardized tests the following year and why? How did she think her other students would perform on the test?
10. Who among Mrs. Zajac's students was particularly excited about entering the science fair? What was the project? How did Mrs. Zajac feel about this student's participation in the science fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
Essay Topic 2
Teaching in America today is a challenge, but the history of teaching in America has always been fraught with challenges. What are some of the challenges faced by teachers in the earlier part of the century that are no longer a problem today? What ones remain challenges to teachers today? Why do you think this is?
Essay Topic 3
The writer uses many different literary devices to create a dynamic picture of Mrs. Zajac. What different literary devices does the author use to create a three dimensional person of Mrs. Zajac? Give an example of each device you discuss.
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)