|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Felipe's clubhouse?
2. What was the best part of the trip to Puerto Rico for Mrs. Zajac?
3. What was the one topic not permitted at the Kelly School Science Fair?
4. While Robert was in time-out isolation, and Mrs. Zajac accidentally left him with a penny, what did he do with it?
5. What did Al say at the end of his talk to his teachers about the standardized tests results?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history of Puerto Ricans in the town of Holyoke? How were they treated in the second half of the twentieth century?
2. Who among Mrs. Zajac's students was particularly excited about entering the science fair? What was the project? How did Mrs. Zajac feel about this student's participation in the science fair?
3. What were some of the other students' projects entered in the science fair? How did Mrs. Zajac feel about the parents who did not help their children with their Science Fair projects?
4. Who in Mrs. Zajac's class won a ribbon for their Science Fair project? How did the ribbon recipients respond to being awarded for their efforts? How did the other children respond to the award?
5. What kinds of behavior did Robert exhibit that concerned Mrs. Zajac? What did she want Robert's mother to do? Did Robert's mother follow through with this suggestion?
6. Who were the four students Mrs. Zajac thought would probably fail the sixth grade standardized tests the following year and why? How did she think her other students would perform on the test?
7. What did Mrs. Zajac begin to realize about continuing to keep Clarence in her class? What were her options?
8. What student left Mrs. Zajac's class? Why did the student leave?
9. When was the science fair at Kelly School? Why was this event important to the students and their families?
10. What did Mrs. Zajac and her family do over spring break? Who organized the experience? Why did Mrs. Zajac decide to spend her spring break this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
Essay Topic 2
Kelly School was the setting for this book. Where was the school? What information did the author give about the history of the school? About the physical plant of the school? What was the ethnic make up of the school? Could this book have been set in a different school in a different city? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The writer uses many different literary devices to create a dynamic picture of Mrs. Zajac. What different literary devices does the author use to create a three dimensional person of Mrs. Zajac? Give an example of each device you discuss.
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)