|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Morwenna and Wim discuss Robert Heinlein, Morwenna feels Heinlein stands up for dignity and humanity, while Wim feels he is what?
2. What does Wim give Morwenna on Valentine's Day?
3. What final wild place does Morwenna find magic in South Wales during her visit after Christmas?
4. What poem of Jo Walton's is widely quoted on online arguments, often without her name attached?
5. When Morwenna and Wim meet up to go look for a fairy, Morwenna reveals that she knows of what rumor about Wim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What differences does Morwenna notice at Arlinghurst when she returns after her hospitalization? What does she believe to be the cause of those changes?
2. What place does Morwenna suggest to Wim as a location they may be able to see a fairy in the novel? Who owns this land?
3. How do Wim and Morwenna spend Valentine's Day in the novel? What gifts do they exchange?
4. What follows the school's holiday celebration in the novel? What award does Morwenna receive and how does she feel about it?
5. What does Wim reveal to Morwenna about the rumors circulating about him before they go look for fairies?
6. How is the theme of growing up explored when Morwenna visits with Moira in South Wales?
7. What does Wim discuss with Morwenna when he visits her in the hospital? What does Morwenna admit about her past?
8. How is the theme of growing up explored in Morwenna's encounter with Mor during the Christmas holidays?
9. What is symbolized by Wim's ability to see a fairy when he first visits Poacher's Wood?
10. What does Morwenna reveal about her leg to Wim at Poacher's Wood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Morwenna's inability to relate to Moira and other friends in South Wales. What does this symbolize regarding Morwenna's character development? How has the theme of maturation expanded in this section of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel. What events took place during 1979 and 1980 which create atmosphere in the book? How is Morwenna affected by the global and international events? Are these events discussed at the book club or with others?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Grampar. How does Grampar feel about Morwenna's mother? How does Morwenna feel about her grandfather? What led to Grampar's hospitalization?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)