|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morwenna give Wim for Valentine's Day?
2. Morwenna's mother attacks Morwenna by tearing pages from what, at the end of the novel?
3. Rumors around town are that Wim did what?
4. During the Christmas holidays, Morwenna suspects that her three paternal aunts are actually what?
5. When Morwenna and Wim discuss Robert Heinlein, Morwenna feels Heinlein stands up for dignity and humanity, while Wim feels he is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is represented in Morwenna's encounter with Owen at the party during the Christmas holidays?
2. What leads up to the meeting of Daniel and Wim in the novel? What impressions do they have of one another?
3. When is Morwenna forced into the hospital for her leg pain? What is her treatment there like?
4. In what final place that Morwenna visits in South Wales during the Christmas holidays does she finally encounter magic? What happens?
5. What takes place in the climax of the novel? What is the greatest obstacle overcome by the protagonist?
6. What does Morwenna resolve to do in the end of the novel? In what ways has her character grown and developed?
7. What leads up to Morwenna's crying while having a conversation with Janine and Hugh in the novel?
8. How does the visit to Poacher's Wood end with Wim? What concerns does Morwenna have about their developing relationship?
9. Who does Morwenna visit while in South Wales during the Christmas holidays? In what places does she look for fairies?
10. What fairy do Wim and Morwenna encounter at an old castle near the end of the novel? What does the fairy tell them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of science fiction and literature in the novel. What does literature represent to Morwenna? Who are her favorite authors? In what ways does literature isolate Morwenna? In what ways does literature open Morwenna to others?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Morwenna's impressions of her first book club meeting at the library. How are the majority of the attendees described? What fellow members does Morwenna feel intrigued by? How seriously is her discussion of Ursula Le Guin taken by the other members?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the developing romance between Morwenna and Wim in the novel. How much reservation does Morwenna have about her crush based on the rumors regarding him? What sense does the reader get about Wim and his danger to the protagonist? How do Wim's actions represent his character?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)