|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What final wild place does Morwenna find magic in South Wales during her visit after Christmas?
2. It was not publicly known until what year that James Tiptree, Jr. was a woman?
3. Who from the school visits Morwenna in the hospital and offers her books from the library?
4. The alternative medicine practitioner whom Morwenna sees for her leg pain recommends that she return for treatment for what duration?
5. Morwenna's aunt who drives her to the train station after Christmas stops at what kind of shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the visit to Poacher's Wood end with Wim? What concerns does Morwenna have about their developing relationship?
2. Who visits Morwenna when she is hospitalized? What happens when Morwenna's mother appears in the hospital?
3. What does Wim reveal to Morwenna about the rumors circulating about him before they go look for fairies?
4. What leads up to the meeting of Daniel and Wim in the novel? What impressions do they have of one another?
5. In what final place that Morwenna visits in South Wales during the Christmas holidays does she finally encounter magic? What happens?
6. What does Wim discuss with Morwenna when he visits her in the hospital? What does Morwenna admit about her past?
7. What place does Morwenna suggest to Wim as a location they may be able to see a fairy in the novel? Who owns this land?
8. Who does Morwenna go to stay with after leaving her father's home during the Christmas holidays? How does she feel about the trip?
9. What does Morwenna resolve to do in the end of the novel? In what ways has her character grown and developed?
10. What takes place in the climax of the novel? What is the greatest obstacle overcome by the protagonist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Morwenna's feelings about losing the poetry competition. What bothers Morwenna about the fact that Deirdre's poem (which she wrote) won the competition and hers did not? How does this affect Morwenna's self esteem?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between poetry and literature in the novel. How does Morwenna feel about contemporary poetry in relation to science fiction novels? What does she hope to gain by winning the national poetry competition?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel. What events took place during 1979 and 1980 which create atmosphere in the book? How is Morwenna affected by the global and international events? Are these events discussed at the book club or with others?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)