|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Morwenna discover Wim saved from some bullies a couple years back?
2. What do the fairies turn Morwenna's walking stick into at the ruin in the end of the novel?
3. What final wild place does Morwenna find magic in South Wales during her visit after Christmas?
4. Glorfindel along with a great many fairies are waiting for Morwenna at an industrial ruin she calls what, in the end of the novel?
5. Morwenna feels conflicted about Wim because she feels his feelings aren't real due to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Morwenna's crying while having a conversation with Janine and Hugh in the novel?
2. How is the theme of growing up explored when Morwenna visits with Moira in South Wales?
3. What is symbolized by Wim's ability to see a fairy when he first visits Poacher's Wood?
4. How do Wim and Morwenna spend Valentine's Day in the novel? What gifts do they exchange?
5. What does Wim reveal to Morwenna about the rumors circulating about him before they go look for fairies?
6. What follows the school's holiday celebration in the novel? What award does Morwenna receive and how does she feel about it?
7. What does Wim discuss with Morwenna when he visits her in the hospital? What does Morwenna admit about her past?
8. What strikes Morwenna about Sam when he visits after her release from the hospital?
9. What does Morwenna think of her first acupuncture treatment? How often will she receive the treatments?
10. How does the book club change Morwenna as a character? How does this tie into the novel's themes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Owen and the theme of inequality in the novel. How does Morwenna' s altercation with Owen represent this theme? In what ways are females expected to behave differently than males in regards to sexuality and exploration?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Morwenna's injury and treatment at the hospital. What is "traction" and how does this help Morwenna's leg? How does Morwenna feel about the treatment? How does she get along with her doctors?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bokononism, Kurt Vonnegut, and the concept of the karass. Describe the ritual performed by Morwenna to protect herself from her mother based on Vonnegut's writing. What are this fictional religion's origins, history, and effects? What does Morwenna hope to attain through the ritual?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)