|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Morwenna pain and leads her to see the school nurse during the school year?
2. What is the name of Morwenna's paternal grandfather?
3. Where does Auntie Teg live?
4. In the nationwide poetry contest which Morwenna enters at her school, the best hundred poem writers will receive how much money?
5. What is the fictional setting of the majority of author J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy writings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Morwenna strike up a friendship with from the book club? Where do they first meet outside of the library?
2. Who is the narrator of "Among Others"? Where is she going in the opening entry?
3. What metaphor is set up in the opening of the novel with Morwenna at the factory?
4. What incident at school leads Morwenna to refer to her mother as a witch? Why?
5. Why has Morwenna traveled with her sister to the factory in the opening of the novel?
6. Where does Morwenna encounter Glorfindel? How is he described? Where does he instruct Morwenna to go?
7. How is the character of Morwenna illustrated in "Among Others"? In what ways does she relate to the novel's author?
8. In what ways are characters revealed in literature? How does this relate to the character of Wim?
9. What happens when Morwenna first goes to burn her mother's letters at Arlinghurst?
10. What objects and effects are a part of the ritual Morwenna does to protect herself from her mother in the fifth section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the developing romance between Morwenna and Wim in the novel. How much reservation does Morwenna have about her crush based on the rumors regarding him? What sense does the reader get about Wim and his danger to the protagonist? How do Wim's actions represent his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the theme of eccentricity in the novel. How does this theme apply to Morwenna and to Morwenna's family? Describe how eccentricity is related in the characters of Deirdre and Sharon in the novel. How does Morwenna feel about these friends? What do they think of Morwenna's eccentric nature?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Morwenna's feelings about losing the poetry competition. What bothers Morwenna about the fact that Deirdre's poem (which she wrote) won the competition and hers did not? How does this affect Morwenna's self esteem?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)