|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At her first book club meeting, Morwenna is disappointed that most of the attendees are what?
2. What relative of Morwenna's "disgraced herself by marrying a Catholic"?
3. Glorfindel instructs Morwenna that she must travel to a ruin and gather ingredients for a ritual on what day?
4. What is the name of Morwenna's mother?
5. What does Morwenna continue to do with her mother's letters in order to keep her evil power away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Morwenna continue to destroy her mother's letters which keep arriving at Arlinghurst? What temptation do the letters represent?
2. What is the dominant passion that Morwenna has in the novel? How does this passion affect her character?
3. What happens when Morwenna first goes to burn her mother's letters at Arlinghurst?
4. What unanswered questions does the author set up in the first entries of the novel? Why?
5. Where does Morwenna plan on going to visit during the break in the school term?
6. How is magic uses metaphorically by the author in the fifth section of the novel?
7. In what ways is the thematic metaphor with the factory in the beginning of the novel reiterated at Arlinghurst?
8. How is the character of Morwenna illustrated in "Among Others"? In what ways does she relate to the novel's author?
9. What metaphor is set up in the opening of the novel with Morwenna at the factory?
10. Why has Morwenna traveled with her sister to the factory in the opening of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Morwenna's feelings about her ancestors. How does she feel about her closest relatives, including her mother, Aunt Teg, and Grampar? How are these characters related? Why is Aunt Teg different from Morwenna's other aunts?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Miss Carroll in the novel. How is Miss Carroll described in the narrative? In what ways has Miss Carroll stepped out of her way in order to help Morwenna? How does Morwenna feel about her teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between poetry and literature in the novel. How does Morwenna feel about contemporary poetry in relation to science fiction novels? What does she hope to gain by winning the national poetry competition?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)