|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morwenna see dancing in the flames when Arlinghurst school has a bonfire?
2. What is Morwenna's true love in the novel?
3. What is the name of the town in which a factory has ruined the surrounding area with a foul smell and a blight in the beginning of "Among Others"?
4. What kind of factory has apparently ruined the surrounding area with a foul smell and a blight in the beginning of the novel?
5. What science-minded female friend visits Morwenna and puts her arm around her in a manner Morwenna interprets as sexual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contest does Morwenna enter at school in the novel? What is foreseen to be the outcome of the competition?
2. How does Morwenna continue to destroy her mother's letters which keep arriving at Arlinghurst? What temptation do the letters represent?
3. Where does Morwenna perform a ritual alongside Glorfindel? What actions does she take in the ritual?
4. How does Morwenna describe the fairies of Wales in the novel?
5. What metaphor is set up in the opening of the novel with Morwenna at the factory?
6. Describe the narrative style of "Among Others". In what format are the events of the novel retold?
7. What happens when Morwenna first goes to burn her mother's letters at Arlinghurst?
8. Where does Morwenna plan on going to visit during the break in the school term?
9. Where does Morwenna encounter Glorfindel? How is he described? Where does he instruct Morwenna to go?
10. What unanswered questions does the author set up in the first entries of the novel? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative voice of "Among Others". From whose point of view is the story told? Is the narrative related in the present or past tense? Additionally, describe the characteristics of the protagonist. What are Morwenna's passions? How does she feel about her sister?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the developing romance between Morwenna and Wim in the novel. How much reservation does Morwenna have about her crush based on the rumors regarding him? What sense does the reader get about Wim and his danger to the protagonist? How do Wim's actions represent his character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Owen and the theme of inequality in the novel. How does Morwenna' s altercation with Owen represent this theme? In what ways are females expected to behave differently than males in regards to sexuality and exploration?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)