|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slips into Morwenna's bed and tries to kiss her at the hotel after visiting Sam in the novel?
2. How many Hugo awards has Ursula Le Guin won?
3. What is the name of the red-headed girl Morwenna's age who she meets at her first book club meeting?
4. What is the name of the Jewish girl that Morwenna befriends at school?
5. What is the first book of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are characters revealed in literature? How does this relate to the character of Wim?
2. How is the character of Wim introduced in the novel? What mystery surrounds Wim?
3. What unanswered questions does the author set up in the first entries of the novel? Why?
4. Who does Morwenna strike up a friendship with from the book club? Where do they first meet outside of the library?
5. What happens when Morwenna first goes to burn her mother's letters at Arlinghurst?
6. Why has Morwenna traveled with her sister to the factory in the opening of the novel?
7. What is the dominant passion that Morwenna has in the novel? How does this passion affect her character?
8. Where does Morwenna plan on going to visit during the break in the school term?
9. How does Morwenna relate her feelings about religion in the fourth section of the novel?
10. Where does Morwenna encounter Glorfindel? How is he described? Where does he instruct Morwenna to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bokononism, Kurt Vonnegut, and the concept of the karass. Describe the ritual performed by Morwenna to protect herself from her mother based on Vonnegut's writing. What are this fictional religion's origins, history, and effects? What does Morwenna hope to attain through the ritual?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Miss Carroll in the novel. How is Miss Carroll described in the narrative? In what ways has Miss Carroll stepped out of her way in order to help Morwenna? How does Morwenna feel about her teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Morwenna's impressions of her first book club meeting at the library. How are the majority of the attendees described? What fellow members does Morwenna feel intrigued by? How seriously is her discussion of Ursula Le Guin taken by the other members?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)