|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Morwenna not receive a permission slip from in time to leave the school and attend the library's book club after she first decides to join?
2. Where does Auntie Teg live?
3. What is the name of Morwenna's paternal grandfather?
4. Morwenna treasures the photograph her mother sends her when she arrives at boarding school because it gives her an image of whom to cherish?
5. Who appears to Morwenna in spectral form, hovering over her bed and literally paralyzing her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor is set up in the opening of the novel with Morwenna at the factory?
2. Why has Morwenna traveled with her sister to the factory in the opening of the novel?
3. In what ways is the thematic metaphor with the factory in the beginning of the novel reiterated at Arlinghurst?
4. What happens to make Morwenna feel that her ritual for a karass worked favorably? What is a karass?
5. What incident at school leads Morwenna to refer to her mother as a witch? Why?
6. How is magic uses metaphorically by the author in the fifth section of the novel?
7. What occupies Morwenna's attention in the weeks after the Arlinghurst bonfire?
8. What is the dominant passion that Morwenna has in the novel? How does this passion affect her character?
9. How does Morwenna describe the fairies of Wales in the novel?
10. How does Morwenna relate her feelings about religion in the fourth section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel. What events took place during 1979 and 1980 which create atmosphere in the book? How is Morwenna affected by the global and international events? Are these events discussed at the book club or with others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Morwenna's inability to relate to Moira and other friends in South Wales. What does this symbolize regarding Morwenna's character development? How has the theme of maturation expanded in this section of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Morwenna's Christmas visit to her father's during the holidays. How does Morwenna feel about being at the house and close to the aunts? Why? Why does Morwenna suspect these characters are witches?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)