|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Hugo awards has Ursula Le Guin won?
2. Who volunteers to go with Morwenna to her first book club meeting at the library?
3. Whose image has been burned out of the photograph that Morwenna's mother sends her after she arrives at the boarding school?
4. Morwenna treasures the photograph her mother sends her when she arrives at boarding school because it gives her an image of whom to cherish?
5. What is the name of Morwenna's paternal grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first letter Morwenna receives from her mother at Arlilnghurst. Why does Morwenna treasure the letter?
2. Who does Morwenna strike up a friendship with from the book club? Where do they first meet outside of the library?
3. How is the character of Morwenna illustrated in "Among Others"? In what ways does she relate to the novel's author?
4. What does Morwenna's leg injury represent metaphorically in the novel?
5. What contest does Morwenna enter at school in the novel? What is foreseen to be the outcome of the competition?
6. How does Morwenna describe the fairies of Wales in the novel?
7. What does the appearance of Mor in Morwenna's ritual represent metaphorically?
8. What occupies Morwenna's attention in the weeks after the Arlinghurst bonfire?
9. What objects and effects are a part of the ritual Morwenna does to protect herself from her mother in the fifth section of the novel?
10. Who is the narrator of "Among Others"? Where is she going in the opening entry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the developing romance between Morwenna and Wim in the novel. How much reservation does Morwenna have about her crush based on the rumors regarding him? What sense does the reader get about Wim and his danger to the protagonist? How do Wim's actions represent his character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the relationship between Mor and Morwenna in the novel. What does Mor represent symbolically to the protagonist? How does Morwenna's relationship with her deceased sister evolve throughout the novel? How does this relate to the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Morwenna's feelings about her ancestors. How does she feel about her closest relatives, including her mother, Aunt Teg, and Grampar? How are these characters related? Why is Aunt Teg different from Morwenna's other aunts?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)