|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Morwenna travels by train where to visit Grampar during the holiday break at school?
2. Who is Morwenna's maternal grandfather?
3. Who does Morwenna not receive a permission slip from in time to leave the school and attend the library's book club after she first decides to join?
4. Glorfindel instructs Morwenna that she must travel to a ruin nicknamed what when she visits an ancient ruin?
5. Glorfindel instructs Morwenna that she must travel to a ruin and gather ingredients for a ritual on what day?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are characters revealed in literature? How does this relate to the character of Wim?
2. Why has Morwenna traveled with her sister to the factory in the opening of the novel?
3. How does Morwenna describe the fairies of Wales in the novel?
4. What contest does Morwenna enter at school in the novel? What is foreseen to be the outcome of the competition?
5. What happens when Morwenna first goes to burn her mother's letters at Arlinghurst?
6. What does the appearance of Mor in Morwenna's ritual represent metaphorically?
7. What unanswered questions does the author set up in the first entries of the novel? Why?
8. What does the reader discern of Morwenna's character through her descriptions of her ancestors?
9. How does Morwenna relate her feelings about religion in the fourth section of the novel?
10. How is the character of Wim introduced in the novel? What mystery surrounds Wim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of science fiction and literature in the novel. What does literature represent to Morwenna? Who are her favorite authors? In what ways does literature isolate Morwenna? In what ways does literature open Morwenna to others?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bokononism, Kurt Vonnegut, and the concept of the karass. Describe the ritual performed by Morwenna to protect herself from her mother based on Vonnegut's writing. What are this fictional religion's origins, history, and effects? What does Morwenna hope to attain through the ritual?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel. What events took place during 1979 and 1980 which create atmosphere in the book? How is Morwenna affected by the global and international events? Are these events discussed at the book club or with others?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)