|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Auntie Teg live?
(a) South Wales.
2. What appears and dances in the flames when Morwenna builds a bonfire in the countryside in the third section of the novel?
3. Who does Sam encourage Morwenna to read?
4. Where does Morwenna flee to in 1979?
(c) South Wales.
5. What teacher signs Morwenna's library form in the novel?
(a) Miss Smith.
(b) Miss Robbins.
(c) Miss Jenkins.
(d) Miss Carroll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Irish girl that Morwenna befriends at school?
2. What relative of Morwenna's "disgraced herself by marrying a Catholic"?
3. What causes Morwenna pain and leads her to see the school nurse during the school year?
4. What do Morwenna and her sister intend to throw into a pool at the heart of the factory in the beginning of the novel?
5. Morwenna writes to Auntie Teg to ask her advice about how what are sized in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are characters revealed in literature? How does this relate to the character of Wim?
2. Why has Morwenna traveled with her sister to the factory in the opening of the novel?
3. In what ways is the thematic metaphor with the factory in the beginning of the novel reiterated at Arlinghurst?
4. How is Morwenna conflicted about her eccentricities in the novel? How is this illustrated at Arlinghurst?
5. What happens when Morwenna first goes to burn her mother's letters at Arlinghurst?
6. Describe the first letter Morwenna receives from her mother at Arlilnghurst. Why does Morwenna treasure the letter?
7. How is magic uses metaphorically by the author in the fifth section of the novel?
8. What metaphor is set up in the opening of the novel with Morwenna at the factory?
9. Where does Morwenna encounter Glorfindel? How is he described? Where does he instruct Morwenna to go?
10. What incident at school leads Morwenna to refer to her mother as a witch? Why?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)