|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "The Hobbit" published?
2. Who appears to Morwenna in spectral form, hovering over her bed and literally paralyzing her?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Auntie Gwennie.
(d) Her father.
3. What cousin does Morwenna say stopped believing in fairies and became interested in football after a certain age?
4. What does Morwenna go to burn in a bonfire in the countryside in the third section of the novel?
(a) Her mother's letters.
(b) A textbook.
(c) Her identification.
(d) Her clothes.
5. When a science-minded female friend visits Morwenna and puts her arm around her in a manner Morwenna interprets as sexual, she struggles to find a way to express what?
(a) That she likes boys.
(b) That she loves her.
(c) That she is dying.
(d) That she is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Glorfindel wear?
2. Who suggests Morwenna join the library's science fiction book club in the novel?
3. Where does Morwenna flee from in 1979?
4. Where does Auntie Teg live?
5. What does Morwenna respect the most about Sam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Wim introduced in the novel? What mystery surrounds Wim?
2. What is the dominant passion that Morwenna has in the novel? How does this passion affect her character?
3. Where does Morwenna plan on going to visit during the break in the school term?
4. Who is the narrator of "Among Others"? Where is she going in the opening entry?
5. In what ways are characters revealed in literature? How does this relate to the character of Wim?
6. How does Morwenna continue to destroy her mother's letters which keep arriving at Arlinghurst? What temptation do the letters represent?
7. Describe the first letter Morwenna receives from her mother at Arlilnghurst. Why does Morwenna treasure the letter?
8. In what ways is the thematic metaphor with the factory in the beginning of the novel reiterated at Arlinghurst?
9. What incident at school leads Morwenna to refer to her mother as a witch? Why?
10. Where does Morwenna encounter Glorfindel? How is he described? Where does he instruct Morwenna to go?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)