|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the book club members convene at to celebrate the birthday of a club member after their discussion of Tiptree?
(a) A fancy restaurant.
(b) The bookstore.
(c) The train station.
(d) The local pub.
2. After a successful pre-Christmas book club meeting, Morwenna meets with the others at a local pub and sits next to whom?
3. What action do Morwenna's paternal aunts try to get her to do, which would effectively sever her ties with the magical world?
(a) Move in with them.
(b) Take piano lessons.
(c) Skip a grade in school.
(d) Pierce her ears.
4. Who does Morwenna call to tell about her condition from Daniel's house after leaving the hospital?
(d) Her mother.
5. What poem of Jo Walton's is widely quoted on online arguments, often without her name attached?
(a) "The Tomorrow of Yesterday."
(b) "The Hacker Manifesto."
(c) "The Laundry of Leaked Information."
(d) "The Lurkers Support Me in E-Mail."
6. What rumors has Wim heard that he confronts Morwenna about while she is in the hospital?
(a) She is bisexual.
(b) She is moving away.
(c) She is a witch.
(d) She killed her sister.
7. The book club that Morwenna is a member of at the library is focused on what genre of literature?
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Non fiction.
(d) Self help.
8. What does Morwenna give Wim for Valentine's Day?
(a) A poem.
(b) 3 books.
(c) A rose.
(d) 2 kittens.
9. How long does Morwenna intend to stay with her Auntie Teg after Christmas?
(a) 14 days.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 10 days.
10. What does Morwenna turn her mother's weapons into at the end of the novel?
11. When Morwenna finds magic in South Wales after Christmas, Mor appears in ghostly form, unable to speak and frozen in time at what age?
12. James Tiptree, Jr. is the pen name of what American science fiction author?
(a) Alice Bradley Sheldon.
(b) Arthur Conan Doyle.
(c) Sara Michael Anderson.
(d) Michelle Williams.
13. At the industrial ruin Morwenna visits at the end of the novel, Glorfindel instructs her to go to another favorite site to perform a ritual that will do what?
(a) Cause an eclipse.
(b) Repel the forces of evil.
(c) Make Mor whole again.
(d) Raise the dead.
14. Morwenna explains that Auntie Teg is having an affair with whom?
(a) An old banker.
(b) A young model.
(c) A married politician.
(d) A train conductor.
15. The alternative medicine practitioner whom Morwenna sees for her leg pain recommends that she return for treatment how often?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Every other week.
(d) Every other day.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Morwenna and Wim discuss Robert Heinlein, Morwenna feels Heinlein stands up for dignity and humanity, while Wim feels he is what?
2. Why does Morwenna theorize attitudes have changed at Arlinghurst after her hospitalization?
3. How many Hugo awards has Samuel Delany won in his career?
4. When Morwenna returns to Arlinghurst after her hospitalization, she notices that attitudes have changed and that most everyone seems what?
5. Morwenna feels conflicted about Wim because she feels his feelings aren't real due to what?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)