|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Queen Judith of Ethiopia reign?
2. In Chapter 12, where does Tasan want to host a benefit affair?
3. In Chapter 11, what term does Flagg prefer be used to refer to himself and other people of African descent?
4. What color kimono does Seraphine wear in Chapter 15?
5. In Chapter 14, how many of the Good Old Pals are still operating an elevator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens toward the end of the evening when Peixota gets together with the Good Old Pals in Chapter 14?
2. In Chapter 10, what type of demonstration is there in front of Trawl's church?
3. In Chapter 13, what is the Merry-Go-Round?
4. In Chapter 11, what is said about Alamaya in the papers?
5. In Chapter 13, what were the goals of the Hands to Ethiopia group?
6. What does Seraphine's mother tell her about carrying on with white men in Chapter 17?
7. In Chapter 12, what does Seraphine think has happened with her father and Alamaya and why?
8. In Chapter 13, what had Alamaya and other Ethiopians thought about the Aframericans before Alamaya came to America?
9. When Seraphine is searching Tasan's apartment in Chapter 18, what does she learn about Princess Benebe?
10. In Chapter 17, what does Tasan say about Pushkin and his descendants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Newton Castle becomes a zealot for Marxism. Why does Castle become a Marxist? How do his beliefs change his life and marriage? Are the changes permanent or temporary?
Essay Topic 2
Reverend Trawl believes that Harlem is the “stamping ground of false prophets” (110). What does Trawl mean by that statement? How does he attempt to mitigate the damage done by false prophets?
Essay Topic 3
Alamaya is a black man from Ethiopia who is caught up in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem. How is Alamay caught in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem? What is revealed about his character through these manipulations?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)