|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, who takes Seraphine's place at the Interlink?
2. In Chapter 13, near what bar is a speakers' stand erected?
3. In Chapter 12, who does Tasan say was the monk who led Russian workers to demonstrate before the Czar's palace?
4. In Chapter 14, how many of the Good Old Pals are still operating an elevator?
5. What does Seraphine find when rearranging Tasan's apartment in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Castle when the Sufi and Senegambians get involved in the demonstration in Chapter 10?
2. What does Dorsey Flagg think about the rumors being printed about Alamaya in Chapter 11?
3. What is the Interlink?
4. What does Flagg offer to do and why to save Alamay in Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 16, how does Jean Danou believe that democracy can be cured?
6. In Chapter 14, why does Alamaya say that he can no longer see Seraphine?
7. How is the Princess Benebe Zarihana described?
8. In Chapter 13, what were the goals of the Hands to Ethiopia group?
9. What does Seraphine's mother tell her about carrying on with white men in Chapter 17?
10. In Chapter 16, why is the work of Hands to Ethiopia at a standstill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the book has symbolic meaning. What does the title symbolize? What does the title convey about communists and black people in Harlem? How does the book reveal the meaning of the title?
Essay Topic 2
When Ethiopia is defeated, the communists move on to the next cause—Spain. How do the communists take up a new cause when Ethiopia is defeated? What does the way that they switch from Ethiopia to Spain reveal about the communists and their agenda?
Essay Topic 3
Tasan asks that everyone come “All aboard to build the Popular Front.” (131) What does that statement reveal about the objectives and goals of the Soviets? How does Tasan believe that he can get anyone and everyone to embrace the Soviet ideals?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)