|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, where does Tasan invite Seraphine to have dinner?
2. What do Seraphine and Dandy do in Chapter 18?
3. In Chapter 12, who does Seraphine say that Alamaya was closeted with at Mrs. Witern's party?
4. When did Queen Judith ascend the throne of Ethiopia?
5. In Chapter 18, where does Dandy live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens toward the end of the evening when Peixota gets together with the Good Old Pals in Chapter 14?
2. What is eaten and drank at Tasan's place when he invites Seraphine to dinner in Chapter 17?
3. In Chapter 10, what type of demonstration is there in front of Trawl's church?
4. What does Dorsey Flagg think about the rumors being printed about Alamaya in Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Seraphine think has happened with her father and Alamaya and why?
6. What happens to Castle when the Sufi and Senegambians get involved in the demonstration in Chapter 10?
7. What does Flagg offer to do and why to save Alamay in Chapter 11?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 15, why does Seraphine not go to work in her father's office, and what does she decide to do?
9. In Chapter 17, what does Tasan say about Pushkin and his descendants?
10. In Chapter 13, what had Alamaya and other Ethiopians thought about the Aframericans before Alamaya came to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alamaya is a black man from Ethiopia who is caught up in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem. How is Alamay caught in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem? What is revealed about his character through these manipulations?
Essay Topic 2
Seraphine quarrels with her parents and refuses to have anything to do with them. Why does Seraphine quarrel with her parents? To what lengths does she go to prove that her parents were wrong and she was right?
Essay Topic 3
Tasan is forced to jump to his death. Why is he forced to jump to his death? Is justice served by his death?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)