|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color kimono does Seraphine wear in Chapter 15?
2. How much does Seraphine earn for part-time work with the Interlink in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 13, on weekdays, how many bartenders are employed by the bar where a speakers' stand is erected?
4. When did Queen Judith ascend the throne of Ethiopia?
5. In Chapter 13, how long does Peixota speak during Sufi's demonstration?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 15, why does Seraphine not go to work in her father's office, and what does she decide to do?
2. In Chapter 12, what does Seraphine think has happened with her father and Alamaya and why?
3. What is the Good Old Pals?
4. How does Peixota learn that Tasan was plotting and attempting to corrupt Alamay from the start?
5. What does Seraphine's mother tell her about carrying on with white men in Chapter 17?
6. In Chapter 10, what type of demonstration is there in front of Trawl's church?
7. Why can Alamaya not prove he is who he says that he is?
8. What happens toward the end of the evening when Peixota gets together with the Good Old Pals in Chapter 14?
9. In Chapter 11, what is said about Alamaya in the papers?
10. What happens to Castle when the Sufi and Senegambians get involved in the demonstration in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tasan is forced to jump to his death. Why is he forced to jump to his death? Is justice served by his death?
Essay Topic 2
Seraphine marries a man she has only known for a few hours. Why does Seraphine marry Dandy? What is she trying to prove by marrying him?
Essay Topic 3
Castle believes that the Soviets will help artists and writers. Why does Castle believe that the Soviets will help artists and writers? How does Flagg rebut Castle’s idea that artists and writers will thrive under the Soviets? What proof is there that the Soviets will or will not benefit artists and writers?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)