|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, how much money does Professor Koahzy think he could have raised if he had been in charge?
2. In Chapter 1, how many speakers are there in addition to the envoy?
3. In Chapter 2, where is Peixota's house located?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Alamaya say that his religion is?
5. In Chapter 7, how many Tower girls attend a gathering that features Alamaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Tower?
2. How does Alamaya say that Ethiopia became the first nation to embrace Christianity?
3. How is Prudhomme Bishop described in Chapter 6?
4. Who is Professor Koazhy?
5. Who is in the open car that comes down the street after the parade, and how is he dressed?
6. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Castle not want Professor Koazhy to join the Hands to Ethiopia committee?
7. How is Kezia Peixota described as the author writes about the dinner held in Alamaya's honor at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 9, why does Mrs. Leah Arzell call Kezia Peixota?
9. Who is Peixota?
10. How was Seraphine raised by her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alamaya is a black man from Ethiopia who is caught up in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem. How is Alamay caught in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem? What is revealed about his character through these manipulations?
Essay Topic 2
Seraphine and Alamaya have light enough skin color that they could pass as white. What does it mean to pass? Why do some characters embrace passing and others despise the practice? What do feelings about passing reveal about racial identity?
Essay Topic 3
Reverend Trawl believes that Harlem is the “stamping ground of false prophets” (110). What does Trawl mean by that statement? How does he attempt to mitigate the damage done by false prophets?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)