|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what instrument does Newton Castle play?
2. During the meeting to speed Alamaya on his journey, what song is sung in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 2, which nation is selling war goods to Italy in spite of the sanctions?
4. In Chapter 7, what day of the week do the Tower girls attend the gathering for Alamaya?
5. What was Mrs. Peixota's surname before she married Peixota?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Prudhomme Bishop described in Chapter 6?
2. Who is in the open car that comes down the street after the parade, and how is he dressed?
3. What is The Tower?
4. Who is Professor Koazhy?
5. Who is Lela Witern, and how does she include her husband when giving parties?
6. How does Alamaya say that Ethiopia became the first nation to embrace Christianity?
7. When people start calling for Dorsey Flagg's removal, who helps quell the outcry?
8. Why do Mr. and Mrs. Castle not want Professor Koazhy to join the Hands to Ethiopia committee?
9. In Chapter 1, how is the parade described?
10. What is The Airplane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The committee of Hands to Ethiopia has observed the communist propaganda tactics in the Aframerican community and see communism as a type of dictatorship. How do they view dictatorship and democracy? How do they believe that dictatorship or democracy positively or negatively impact the lives of black people?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book has symbolic meaning. What does the title symbolize? What does the title convey about communists and black people in Harlem? How does the book reveal the meaning of the title?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)