|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Peixota buy his first piece of property?
2. Where are the offices of the Friends of Ethiopia in Chapter 6?
3. When was Haile Selasssie crowned emperor?
4. What position does Bunchetta Facey hold in the Tower Club?
5. What country's flag flies from many windows in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What campaign is Bishop launching in Chapter 6, and what does Peixota think he should do instead?
2. How is Prudhomme Bishop described in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 4, why does Castle want to take Dorsey Flagg off the Hands to Ethiopia committee?
4. How does Alamaya say that Ethiopia became the first nation to embrace Christianity?
5. How is Lij Alamaya a special guest at the residence of Pablo Peixota?
6. Who is Lela Witern, and how does she include her husband when giving parties?
7. In Chapter 4, why are whites not wanted to join the Hands to Ethiopia group?
8. How was Seraphine raised by her mother?
9. Why do Tasan and Bishop want Dorsey Flagg removed from Hands to Ethiopia and as Alamaya's travel companion?
10. How is Kezia Peixota described as the author writes about the dinner held in Alamaya's honor at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorsey Flagg is accused of being a fascist. How and why is Flagg accused of being a fascist? How is the accusation a political ploy?
Essay Topic 2
The Labor Herald frequently publishes propaganda. How is propaganda use by the communists to further their cause? How does the use of propaganda affect the people who are targeted by the propaganda?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book has symbolic meaning. What does the title symbolize? What does the title convey about communists and black people in Harlem? How does the book reveal the meaning of the title?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)