|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what day of the week do the Tower girls attend the gathering for Alamaya?
2. How many attributes are required for membership in Seraphine's club?
3. When was the club founded that Seraphine is a member of?
4. Where are the offices of the Friends of Ethiopia in Chapter 6?
5. What was the name of Newton Castle's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, why does Mrs. Leah Arzell call Kezia Peixota?
2. How does Alamaya say that Ethiopia became the first nation to embrace Christianity?
3. Who is Professor Koazhy?
4. When people start calling for Dorsey Flagg's removal, who helps quell the outcry?
5. What is The Airplane?
6. How was Seraphine raised by her mother?
7. How is Prudhomme Bishop described in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 4, why are whites not wanted to join the Hands to Ethiopia group?
9. What is The Tower?
10. Who is Newton Castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Castle believes that the Soviets will help artists and writers. Why does Castle believe that the Soviets will help artists and writers? How does Flagg rebut Castle’s idea that artists and writers will thrive under the Soviets? What proof is there that the Soviets will or will not benefit artists and writers?
Essay Topic 2
Newton Castle becomes a zealot for Marxism. Why does Castle become a Marxist? How do his beliefs change his life and marriage? Are the changes permanent or temporary?
Essay Topic 3
Alamaya is a black man from Ethiopia who is caught up in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem. How is Alamay caught in the sociopolitical maneuvering in Harlem? What is revealed about his character through these manipulations?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)