|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bar do some of the Tower girls go to in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 6, what is Gloria Kendall's job at the White Friends of Ethiopia?
3. How many women belong to Seraphine's club?
4. During the meeting to speed Alamaya on his journey, what song is sung in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 7, how many Tower girls attend a gathering that features Alamaya?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Professor Koazhy?
2. How is Kezia Peixota described as the author writes about the dinner held in Alamaya's honor at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 4, why does Castle want to take Dorsey Flagg off the Hands to Ethiopia committee?
4. How does Alamaya say that Ethiopia became the first nation to embrace Christianity?
5. When people start calling for Dorsey Flagg's removal, who helps quell the outcry?
6. What is The Airplane?
7. Who is in the open car that comes down the street after the parade, and how is he dressed?
8. What is The Tower?
9. In Chapter 1, how is the parade described?
10. In Chapter 5, who is Bunchetta Facey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seraphine marries a man she has only known for a few hours. Why does Seraphine marry Dandy? What is she trying to prove by marrying him?
Essay Topic 2
Newton Castle becomes a zealot for Marxism. Why does Castle become a Marxist? How do his beliefs change his life and marriage? Are the changes permanent or temporary?
Essay Topic 3
The Italian/Ethiopian conflict is an impetus for many events in the novel. How is the conflict between Italy and Ethiopia an impetus for events in the novel? What parallels are there between the conflict between countries and the conflict between communists and Aframericans?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)