• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: McKay, Claude, Amiable with Big Teeth, Penguin Books, 2017.
• Chapter 1 begins with a parade through Harlem in 1936.
• The parade welcomes Lij Tekla Alamaya, an Ethiopian envoy, who has come to raise money for the defense of Ethiopia, which is fighting the Italians led by Mussolini.
• Professor Koazhy, a professor of African and African-American studies, joins the parade.
• He wears an ancient Ethiopian military uniform, and his grand entrance stirs excitement among the crowds watching the parade.
• After the parade, leaders of the Hands of Ethiopia, the organization collecting funds for Ethiopia, give speeches and introduce Alamaya.
• The crowd demands that Koazhy be allowed to speak.
• His speech is very inspiring, and he makes a call for donations that raises quite a bit of money.
• The leaders of Hands to Ethiopia are not pleased that...
This section contains 2,701 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)