Short Answer Questions
Directions: Answer each question with the appropriate short response.
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 1.1 | Chapter 1.2
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
3. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
4. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
5. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
6. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 1.3 | Chapter 1.4
1. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3,...
This section contains 3,031 words|
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)