|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
(a) Vulgar speech.
(c) The auxiliary.
3. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. In what year did the National Education Association withdraw from the campaign for simplified spelling?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
2. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
3. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
4. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
5. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
This section contains 178 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)