|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
2. According to the study of E.J. Hills, how many descriptive adjectives are possessed by the average child of two?
3. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(b) The Southeast.
(c) New England.
(d) The Midwest.
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
Short Answer Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
3. What spelling change is made from English to American in words such as "connection"?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
5. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)