|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
2. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
3. According to Dr. Louise Pound, what do Latin plurals tend to become in colloquial American?
(a) Singular nouns.
(c) Adjectival modifiers.
(d) Infinitive verbs.
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
2. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
3. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
4. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
5. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)