|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what word does Mencken say "incidence" is commonly mistaken to be a synonym?
2. According to the study of E.J. Hills, how many descriptive adjectives are possessed by the average child of two?
3. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
4. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
5. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "sturdy fidelity."
(b) With "periodic intensity."
(c) With "unconscious loathing."
(d) With "happy fecundity."
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
2. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
3. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)