|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
2. Which Americanized foreign loan-word in the common speech means, in its vulgar loaned form, "to prance or to walk consciously"?
3. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Political disharmony.
4. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(c) British idioms.
5. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(b) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(c) The New English Dictionary.
(d) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, the word "none" is a degenerate composition of what two words?
2. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
4. According to Mencken, democratic government is essentially government by whom?
5. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)