|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
2. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
(a) The middle-class.
(b) The poor.
(c) The fashionable.
(d) The vulgar.
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(b) British idioms.
5. Whom does Mencken use to exemplify the flouting of linguistic purity in Chapter 6.1?
(d) Working men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
2. What leads most of the studies of the sounds of the American common speech astray, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.10?
3. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
4. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
5. Lounsbury is reported as saying that, "The history of language, when looked at from the purely grammatical point of view, is little else than the history of" what?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)