|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Noah Webster.
(b) Gouverneur Morris.
(c) Richard Grant White.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
2. Which reporter first brings colloquial Americanisms to the written word, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.2?
(a) George Ade.
(b) Ring W. Lardner.
(c) J.C. Neal.
(d) Josh Billings.
3. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
4. According to Mencken, democratic government is essentially government by whom?
(d) The working class.
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what word does Mencken say "incidence" is commonly mistaken to be a synonym?
2. Which organization produced a prospectus in 1913 that warned against extreme English conservatism in the spelling of foreign loan-words?
3. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)