|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(c) South America.
2. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
3. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Henry Alford.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Basil Hall.
4. According to Mencken, which of the following does "one American professor of English" predict will become a spelling form of the future?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
4. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
5. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)