|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
2. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
(a) The grammarians.
(b) The masses.
(c) The learned.
(d) The authors of fiction.
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The barrister.
(b) The solicitor.
(c) The judge.
(d) The jury.
4. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(b) British idioms.
5. According to Mencken, which of the following does "one American professor of English" predict will become a spelling form of the future?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
2. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
3. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
4. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
5. What is the English meaning of the phrase "to carry on"?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)