|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
(b) Phonetic innovations.
(d) Cultural encounters.
2. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
3. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
4. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(b) The New English Dictionary.
(c) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(d) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
5. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "portmanteau-word" formed?
2. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
3. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
4. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
5. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)