|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the National Education Association withdraw from the campaign for simplified spelling?
2. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
(a) The nineteenth.
(b) The sixteenth.
(c) The eighteenth.
(d) The seventeenth.
3. What language did "ambassador," "ancestor," and "bachelor" come into English from?
4. In what does the American pronoun not necessarily agree with its noun?
5. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(b) British idioms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
2. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
3. To what does Mencken ascribe the inflection of English adjectives?
4. Which reporter first brings colloquial Americanisms to the written word, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.2?
5. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)