|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
2. Which adjectival prefix does Mencken state is confined to the more sophisticated classes?
3. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(b) Racy and pungent.
(c) Flippant and pointless.
(d) Dry and prolonged.
4. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
5. According to Mencken, the word "none" is a degenerate composition of what two words?
(a) Not one.
(b) No one.
(c) No tone.
(d) Not on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
3. In what dialect of English is "slick" used synonymously with "sleek" according to Chapter 9.10?
4. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
5. Which of the following is a term used by philologists to indicate the "instinctive search, etymologically unsound, for short roots in long words"?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)