|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
2. In what year did the National Education Association withdraw from the campaign for simplified spelling?
3. In what does the American pronoun not necessarily agree with its noun?
4. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
5. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The barrister.
(b) The jury.
(c) The judge.
(d) The solicitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
2. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
3. In what parts of language does Mencken say the "chief grammatical peculiarities" of spoken English are found?
4. What word did the editor of the Westminster Gazette substitute for the incomprehensible dash in the mangled Americanism of Rupert Brooke?
5. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)