|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. Which adjectival prefix does Mencken state is confined to the more sophisticated classes?
4. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
5. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did "ambassador," "ancestor," and "bachelor" come into English from?
2. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
3. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
4. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)