|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. In what does the American pronoun not necessarily agree with its noun?
4. What is the universal substitute for the word "ye" as described in Chapter 6.2?
5. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Charles Astor Bristed.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
2. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
3. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
4. Who was responsible for the endowment to the Simplified Spelling Board?
5. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)