|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As what part of speech does vulgar American consider the word "self" within the spirit of the language?
(a) A noun.
(b) A verb.
(c) An adverb.
(d) An adjective.
2. According to the study of E.J. Hills, how many descriptive adjectives are possessed by the average child of two?
3. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
4. Which of the following is not one of the minor differences Mencken lists in Chapter 8.7?
5. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
2. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
3. According to Mencken, democratic government is essentially government by whom?
4. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
5. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)