|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the professor who advocates the assimilation and alteration of the spelling and accentuation of foreign words?
(a) Brander Matthews.
(b) Nora Helmar.
(c) Louise Pound.
(d) Edmund Gosse.
2. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
3. Which of the following is a term used by philologists to indicate the "instinctive search, etymologically unsound, for short roots in long words"?
(d) Formative de-synthesizing.
4. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Gouverneur Morris.
(b) Richard Grant White.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Noah Webster.
5. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
2. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
3. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
4. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
5. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)