|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Noah Webster die?
2. What is the universal substitute for the word "ye" as described in Chapter 6.2?
3. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
(a) A Maltin.
(b) A Collegiate.
(c) A University.
(d) A Cardinal.
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) George Washington.
(c) John Hancock.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
2. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
3. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
4. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
5. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
This section contains 183 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)