|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
2. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "a."
(b) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(c) The normative "o."
(d) The normative "ch."
5. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(b) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(c) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(d) The New English Dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
2. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
3. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
4. Which organization produced a prospectus in 1913 that warned against extreme English conservatism in the spelling of foreign loan-words?
5. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)