|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
(c) Compromise for cheaper printing.
2. According to Mencken, which of the following does "one American professor of English" predict will become a spelling form of the future?
3. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(b) The New English Dictionary.
(c) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(d) The London Pocket Dictionary.
4. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) G.K. Chesterton.
(c) Joseph Conrad.
(d) Cleveland Coxe.
5. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
2. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
3. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
4. How is the "portmanteau-word" formed?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)