|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic travel.
(b) Transatlantic communication.
(c) American neo-classical tastes.
(d) Solidarity of higher education.
2. Whom does Mencken use to exemplify the flouting of linguistic purity in Chapter 6.1?
(c) Working men.
3. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(d) New York.
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
2. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
3. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
5. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)