|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which organization produced a prospectus in 1913 that warned against extreme English conservatism in the spelling of foreign loan-words?
(a) British Literary Association.
(b) Simplified Spelling Board.
(c) Society for Pure English.
(d) National Education Association.
2. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
(a) A Collegiate.
(b) A Maltin.
(c) A Cardinal.
(d) A University.
3. In what year did Noah Webster die?
4. Who is the author of "A Doll's House," who puts bad grammar into Nora Helmar's mouth?
5. Which of the following is not one of the minor differences Mencken lists in Chapter 8.7?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
2. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
3. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)