|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(b) Dry and prolonged.
(c) Racy and pungent.
(d) Flippant and pointless.
2. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
(a) G.K. Chesterton.
(b) Joseph Conrad.
(c) Cleveland Coxe.
(d) Charles Dickens.
3. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
4. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
5. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
2. In what century did Americans begin to rebel against the capitalization trends dominant in England?
3. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
4. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
5. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)