|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(b) Formal grammar.
(c) The vulgate.
(d) Philological anomalies.
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Noah Webster.
(b) Gouverneur Morris.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Richard Grant White.
3. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
4. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
5. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
2. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
3. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
5. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)