|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) Free endorsement.
(b) To process.
(c) To advocate.
(d) To indulge.
3. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
4. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(c) New England.
(d) Hong Kong.
5. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
2. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
3. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
4. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
5. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)