|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
2. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) George Washington.
(d) John Hancock.
4. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(a) The Southeast.
(b) The Midwest.
(c) New England.
5. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(b) The New English Dictionary.
(c) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(d) The London Pocket Dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the National Education Association withdraw from the campaign for simplified spelling?
2. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
5. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)