|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
2. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) H.L. Mencken.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Noah Webster.
3. Which of the following is one of the three great causes of change in language according to Sayce, as reported in Chapter 9.3?
(a) Cultural encounters.
(d) Phonetic innovations.
4. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
5. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
2. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
3. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
4. What is the universal substitute for the word "ye" as described in Chapter 6.2?
5. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)