|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
(a) The auxiliary.
(b) Vulgar speech.
2. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(a) Philological anomalies.
(c) The vulgate.
(d) Formal grammar.
3. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
(a) The grammarians.
(b) The learned.
(c) The authors of fiction.
(d) The masses.
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
2. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
3. Whom does Mencken use to exemplify the flouting of linguistic purity in Chapter 6.1?
4. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)