|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
2. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The barrister.
(b) The jury.
(c) The solicitor.
(d) The judge.
4. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
5. What is the longest list of spelling changes from English to American that Mencken gives in Chapter 8.1?
(a) Miscellaneous differences.
(b) The change of diphthongs into plain words.
(c) The -or/-our distinction.
(d) The omission of a redundant -e.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
2. What language does the formalism of English grammarians come from?
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. According to Mencken, which of the following does "one American professor of English" predict will become a spelling form of the future?
5. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)