|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
2. According to Dr. Louise Pound, what do Latin plurals tend to become in colloquial American?
(a) Infinitive verbs.
(b) Adjectival modifiers.
(c) Singular nouns.
3. Mencken describes the American language as having a "democratic enmity" to all what, in the beginning of Chapter 6.1?
(b) Grammatical rules.
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) G.K. Chesterton.
(c) Joseph Conrad.
(d) Cleveland Coxe.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, democratic government is essentially government by whom?
2. In what parts of language does Mencken say the "chief grammatical peculiarities" of spoken English are found?
3. Lounsbury is reported as saying that, "The history of language, when looked at from the purely grammatical point of view, is little else than the history of" what?
4. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
5. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)