|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
3. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
4. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
5. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) H.L. Mencken.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
4. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
5. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)