|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
(a) A Collegiate.
(b) A University.
(c) A Maltin.
(d) A Cardinal.
2. How many pages in "The King's English" are dedicated to explaining the distinction between "will" and "shall"?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
4. Who is apparently the first literary critic to point out the "enormous gap between the literate and unliterate American"?
(a) Allen Tate.
(b) Rene Wellek.
(c) I.A. Richards.
(d) Francis Hackett.
5. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
(a) Joseph Conrad.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Cleveland Coxe.
(d) G.K. Chesterton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father coined the term "to belittle"?
2. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
3. What word did the editor of the Westminster Gazette substitute for the incomprehensible dash in the mangled Americanism of Rupert Brooke?
4. Which reporter first brings colloquial Americanisms to the written word, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.2?
5. Lounsbury is reported as saying that, "The history of language, when looked at from the purely grammatical point of view, is little else than the history of" what?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)