|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is apparently the first literary critic to point out the "enormous gap between the literate and unliterate American"?
(a) I.A. Richards.
(b) Allen Tate.
(c) Rene Wellek.
(d) Francis Hackett.
2. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(d) South America.
3. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(c) The Honorable.
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
3. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
4. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
5. Who does Mencken state are the true makers of grammar in Chapter 9.1?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)