|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) Elementary school.
(b) High school.
(c) Middle school.
3. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
4. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The jury.
(b) The judge.
(c) The solicitor.
(d) The barrister.
5. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
2. Who is the author of "A Doll's House," who puts bad grammar into Nora Helmar's mouth?
3. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
4. Which of the following is a term used by philologists to indicate the "instinctive search, etymologically unsound, for short roots in long words"?
5. Who was responsible for the endowment to the Simplified Spelling Board?
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)