|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What principle of spelling was behind much of Webster's theory concerning the simplification of spelling?
(c) Vowel accentuation.
2. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
3. Mencken describes the American language as having a "democratic enmity" to all what, in the beginning of Chapter 6.1?
(c) Grammatical rules.
4. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
5. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
(a) The moist climate.
(b) Genetic diversity.
(c) The dry climate.
(d) Colder air.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
2. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
3. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
4. What notable author was the first Englishman to carry Americanisms successfully back to his home?
5. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)