|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What moniker of currency has persisted in America despite having no currency properly of that name?
2. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(a) Compromise for cheaper printing.
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. According to Mencken, how do the Americans consider the precise English use of the indefinite pronoun ("one")?
5. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic communication.
(b) American neo-classical tastes.
(c) Solidarity of higher education.
(d) Transatlantic travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
2. In what parts of language does Mencken say the "chief grammatical peculiarities" of spoken English are found?
3. In what year did the National Education Association withdraw from the campaign for simplified spelling?
4. Which of the following does Wilcox not list as a negative treatment of the English language by grammarians?
5. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)