|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. In what year did Noah Webster die?
3. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
4. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
5. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
2. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
3. Whom does Mencken use to exemplify the flouting of linguistic purity in Chapter 6.1?
4. What class of Americans is most influenced by Briticisms, according to Mencken in Chapter 5.2?
5. Who published a work in 1768 entitled "Scheme for a New Alphabet and a Reformed Mode of Spelling, with Remarks and Examples Concerning the Same, and an Enquiry into its Uses"?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)