|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.2 | Chapter 9.3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken say, in colloquial American, has obliterated the verb?
(b) The auxiliary.
(c) Vulgar speech.
2. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
3. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) H.L. Mencken.
4. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
5. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which organization produced a prospectus in 1913 that warned against extreme English conservatism in the spelling of foreign loan-words?
2. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
3. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
4. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
5. Which reporter first brings colloquial Americanisms to the written word, according to Mencken in Chapter 9.2?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)