|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
3. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(d) The Honorable.
5. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
(a) The First World War.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The bombing of London.
(d) The advent of the transatlantic telephone line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
2. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
5. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)