|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
3. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
5. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
2. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
3. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
4. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
5. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)