|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(b) British idioms.
5. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
2. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
4. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
5. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)