|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) George Washington.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
4. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
5. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
2. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
3. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
4. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)