|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(c) The Honorable.
2. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(d) South America.
3. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Dry and prolonged.
(b) Flippant and pointless.
(c) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(d) Racy and pungent.
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
5. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
2. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
3. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
4. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
5. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)