|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
2. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Political disharmony.
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(b) The <i>Times</i>.
(c) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(d) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
4. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
(a) Broad o.
(b) Flat a.
(c) Broad a.
(d) Flat e.
5. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
2. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
3. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
4. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
5. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)