|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(c) The <i>Times</i>.
(d) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
2. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
3. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
(a) A University.
(b) A Maltin.
(c) A Collegiate.
(d) A Cardinal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
2. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
4. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
5. How many classifications of Americanisms does Gilbert M. Tucker provide in 1921?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)