|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
3. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) Transatlantic communication.
(b) Transatlantic travel.
(c) Solidarity of higher education.
(d) American neo-classical tastes.
4. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The solicitor.
(b) The barrister.
(c) The judge.
(d) The jury.
5. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
2. What event does Mencken credit with strengthening the obfuscation of distinction between American and British English?
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
4. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
5. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)