|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) George Washington.
5. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Charles Astor Bristed.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
2. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
3. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
4. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
5. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)