|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
(a) Flat a.
(b) Broad o.
(c) Flat e.
(d) Broad a.
2. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
3. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
4. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
5. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) John Hancock.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
2. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
3. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
4. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
5. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)