|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The solicitor.
(b) The barrister.
(c) The judge.
(d) The jury.
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
2. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
4. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
5. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)