|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) Edgar Jepson.
(b) George Ade.
(c) Richard Aldington.
(d) William Archer.
2. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) Elementary school.
(b) High school.
(d) Middle school.
3. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
4. What word does Mencken find Dr. John Dewey using in place of the word "opium?"
5. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
(a) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(b) Frank H. Vizetelly.
(c) Richard Meade Bache.
(d) Noah Webster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
2. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
3. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
4. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)