|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
2. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(c) New York.
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(c) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(d) The <i>Times</i>.
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
4. What ethnicity of people, through the influence of the mercantile class, is referred to by a different name in the United States than in England?
5. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)