|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
2. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(c) New York.
3. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Louis Untermeyer.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Henry Alford.
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
2. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
5. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)