|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
2. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
3. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
4. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Times</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(c) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(d) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
2. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)