|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) H.L. Mencken.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) Samuel Elridge.
(b) William Dean Howells.
(c) John Fiske.
(d) Mark Twain.
4. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
(a) The philological traditionalist.
(b) The teacher.
(c) The erudite fool.
(d) The father.
5. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
3. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
4. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
5. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)