|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Times</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(c) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
(d) The <i>Daily News</i>.
2. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
4. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(a) The Southeast.
(c) The Midwest.
(d) New England.
5. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(a) British idioms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "Anglomaniac affectation" did Noah Webster sneer at in 1789?
2. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
3. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
4. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)