|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
2. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(a) New York.
3. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
4. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Political disharmony.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Benjamin Franklin, what was roughly the population of the colonies in 1751?
2. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
3. What is the second characteristic that Mencken attributes to American English in Chapter 1.5?
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
5. The prudish reluctance to name what sort of diseases hindered proper preventative information?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)