|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Anglo-Saxon word does Mencken report the colonists refused to replace with an Old Norse word of similar meaning?
2. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
3. Where was the broad "a" principally established prior to the Civil War?
(b) New England.
(c) The Southeast.
(d) The Midwest.
4. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) Free endorsement.
(b) To process.
(c) To advocate.
(d) To indulge.
5. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
2. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
3. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)