|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Henry Alford.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
2. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
(c) British idioms.
3. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
4. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Territorial expansiveness.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Regional diversity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
2. Whose clarity of prevision does Mencken praise in the opening of Chapter 1.1?
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. What vowel sound was dominant in 18th century New England pronunciation, despite common protests to the contrary?
5. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
This section contains 201 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)