|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Gouverneur Morris.
(c) Noah Webster.
(d) Richard Grant White.
4. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
5. What does John S. Farmer describe the Western vernacular as being?
(a) Flippant and pointless.
(b) Irreverent and irrelevant.
(c) Dry and prolonged.
(d) Racy and pungent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
4. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)