|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Basil Hall.
2. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
(a) The <i>Daily Herald</i>.
(b) The <i>Daily News</i>.
(c) The <i>Times</i>.
(d) The <i>Illustrated London News</i>.
3. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
4. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
5. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not used as a substitute for the once indecent term, for highly refined ears, "bull"?
2. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
3. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
4. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
5. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)