|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which defender of Americanisms cited by Mencken in Chapter 1.3 states that "Language is made by the people"?
(a) George Ade.
(b) Edgar Jepson.
(c) Richard Aldington.
(d) William Archer.
2. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
4. What country's works dominated the reading habits of the American colonists in the latter 18th century?
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what country does the English correspondent in Chapter 4.5 ascribe many American expletives?
2. What is the English word for a collection of colleges?
3. According to Mencken, what did the first generations born in the New World value as a virtue over enterprise and resourcefulness?
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
5. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)