|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.4 | Chapter 4.5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
2. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(b) The Honorable.
3. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) James Monroe.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
4. To what continent does Mencken attribute the acknowledgment of the differences between American and British English?
(a) North America.
(b) South America.
5. What does Mencken state is neglected by those who are professional trained to investigate it?
(b) Philological anomalies.
(c) The vulgate.
(d) Formal grammar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mencken say newspaper reporters no longer "slobber" over?
2. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
4. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
5. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)