|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.1 | Chapter 3.2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 2.6, what regional pronunciation is erroneously thought by some to have superior authority regarding English pronunciation?
(c) New York.
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Political disharmony.
(c) Territorial expansiveness.
(d) Lack of a national literature.
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
5. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
(a) American neo-classical tastes.
(b) Transatlantic travel.
(c) Solidarity of higher education.
(d) Transatlantic communication.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. Which letter of the alphabet do Americans differ in pronunciation from other English-speaking countries?
3. How many dialects dominate American English, according to Chapter 1.5?
4. According to Mencken at the beginning of Chapter 1.3, what do the novelists and newspapermen on either side of the Atlantic ocean delight in?
5. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)