|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.3 | Chapter 2.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) Free endorsement.
(b) To indulge.
(c) To process.
(d) To advocate.
3. How many classifications of Americanisms does Bartlett postulate in his 1859 dictionary?
4. What word in American is used for the English word "shoe?"
5. Who is the author of "Dissertations on the English Language"?
(a) H.L. Mencken.
(b) Noah Webster.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Benjamin Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
2. According to the report of Beverley, what did a group of soldiers turn into after eating some Jimson Weed?
3. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
4. Mencken claims that Noah Webster contains less of the scientific inquirer and more of what?
5. What is the principal reason Mencken states that the English language has not greatly diverged since the foundation of the United States of America?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)