Four Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what word does Mencken say "incidence" is commonly mistaken to be a synonym?
2. What does the movement towards the general vowel neutralization promise to do in the future, according to Mencken?
(a) Clarify the pronunciation of vowels.
(b) Dispose of many vowels.
(c) Create new vowels.
(d) Reduce the number of vowel sounds, but not the vowels themselves.
3. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
4. What use of storage was added to the American meaning of the word "barn?"
5. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
(a) Samuel Elridge.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) William Dean Howells.
(d) John Fiske.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what part of the country did the Irish attain to a "truly impressive political power before the first native-born generation of them had grown up" as Mencken states in Chapter 10.1?
2. In what century did England replace the "i-sound" with the "oi-sound" in words such as "boy"?
3. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
4. Who proposed a generally accepted nomenclature for currency in 1785?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)