Four Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.5 | Chapter 4.1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Louis Untermeyer.
(c) Charles Astor Bristed.
(d) Henry Alford.
2. What word did Webster argue should have its vowel sound changed to "ee" instead of "eh"?
3. To what phrase did Benjamin Franklin, Noah Webster, and Robert Southey object as a base Americanism, as discussed in Chapter 2.3?
(a) To indulge.
(b) Free endorsement.
(c) To process.
(d) To advocate.
4. Which term do English dictionaries all describe as an Americanism from the comparative list in Chapter 4.1, despite the English version being frequently used in America?
5. What language does Mencken quote Sidney Low as saying is not taught to English youth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound did Webster object to inserting in words such as "gradual" and "nature," before the "u"?
2. Who protested the adoption of the broad "a" in an 1857 work entitled "The Autocrat at the Breakfast Table"?
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. What "great humorist" does Mencken cite in Chapter 1.3 as "celebrating 'the vigorous new vernacular of the occidental plains and mountains'"?
5. Which London newspaper lamented the "menace" that American movies offer to the purity of the English language?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)