|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The jury.
(b) The judge.
(c) The barrister.
(d) The solicitor.
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(c) New England.
(d) Hong Kong.
4. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
5. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)