|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The New English Dictionary.
(b) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(c) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(d) The London Pocket Dictionary.
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Territorial expansiveness.
(b) Political disharmony.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Regional diversity.
3. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(c) Compromise for cheaper printing.
4. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Washington.
5. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
2. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
3. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
4. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
5. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)