|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) George Washington.
(b) John Hancock.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Louis Untermeyer.
(c) Henry Alford.
(d) Charles Astor Bristed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
2. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
4. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)