|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) Middle school.
(c) High school.
(d) Elementary school.
2. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(b) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(c) Slavic peoples.
(d) Russian Jews.
3. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
4. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
5. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
2. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
4. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
5. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)