|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) George Washington.
(c) James Monroe.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
2. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
3. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) Middle school.
(b) Elementary school.
(d) High school.
4. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(b) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(c) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(d) The New English Dictionary.
5. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
(b) Compromise for cheaper printing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
2. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
3. How is the "portmanteau-word" formed?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)