|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(b) New England.
(c) Hong Kong.
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Andrew Jackson.
3. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(d) Compromise for cheaper printing.
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(c) The Honorable.
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
2. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)