|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(b) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(c) Slavic peoples.
(d) Russian Jews.
2. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(a) New England.
(b) Hong Kong.
3. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
4. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Regional diversity.
5. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Henry Alford.
(b) Louis Untermeyer.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Charles Astor Bristed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
2. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)