|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
2. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
3. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
(a) The political.
(b) The religious.
(c) The ethical.
(d) The patriotic.
4. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
5. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The jury.
(b) The solicitor.
(c) The judge.
(d) The barrister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
3. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
4. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
5. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)