|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Henry Alford.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
2. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(b) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(c) Russian Jews.
(d) Slavic peoples.
3. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(b) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(c) The New English Dictionary.
(d) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
(a) The patriotic.
(b) The religious.
(c) The political.
(d) The ethical.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
3. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
4. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)