|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
(d) Compromise for cheaper printing.
2. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
3. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(b) The Honorable.
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(b) The New English Dictionary.
(c) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(d) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
4. Which of the following is a term used by philologists to indicate the "instinctive search, etymologically unsound, for short roots in long words"?
5. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)