|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
2. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
3. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Charles Astor Bristed.
(b) Louis Untermeyer.
(c) Henry Alford.
(d) Basil Hall.
4. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(a) Russian Jews.
(b) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(d) Slavic peoples.
5. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(c) Compromise for cheaper printing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
2. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
3. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
4. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)