|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Territorial expansiveness.
(b) Political disharmony.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Regional diversity.
2. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
(a) The barrister.
(b) The solicitor.
(c) The jury.
(d) The judge.
3. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(b) Hong Kong.
(c) New England.
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
4. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)