|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
3. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Basil Hall.
(b) Henry Alford.
(c) Louis Untermeyer.
(d) Charles Astor Bristed.
4. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
5. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
(a) The patriotic.
(b) The political.
(c) The ethical.
(d) The religious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
4. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
5. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)