|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
2. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) James Monroe.
3. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
2. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
3. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
This section contains 183 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)