|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
2. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
3. How is the "portmanteau-word" formed?
(a) By mixing parts of words with the same meaning in different languages.
(b) By finding the true root in the word.
(c) By blending two words.
(d) By onomatopoeic creativity.
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Regional diversity.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
5. What term did John Witherspoon coin, framing it within the context of vulgarity?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
2. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)