|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
(a) Hong Kong.
(b) New England.
2. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(b) Compromise for cheaper printing.
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Territorial expansiveness.
4. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(b) Slavic peoples.
(c) Russian Jews.
(d) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
5. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
Short Answer Questions
1. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
2. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
3. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
4. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
5. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)