|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
(a) Henry Alford.
(b) Charles Astor Bristed.
(c) Basil Hall.
(d) Louis Untermeyer.
2. How is the "portmanteau-word" formed?
(a) By finding the true root in the word.
(b) By mixing parts of words with the same meaning in different languages.
(c) By blending two words.
(d) By onomatopoeic creativity.
3. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) James Monroe.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Washington.
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Territorial expansiveness.
(d) Regional diversity.
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
2. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
3. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
4. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)