|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
3. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(a) Russian Jews.
(c) Slavic peoples.
(d) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
4. Which of the following is a term used by philologists to indicate the "instinctive search, etymologically unsound, for short roots in long words"?
(b) Formative de-synthesizing.
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Lack of a national literature.
(b) Regional diversity.
(c) Territorial expansiveness.
(d) Political disharmony.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "portmanteau-word" formed?
2. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
3. Who "tries" a legal case in England?
4. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
5. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)