|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
2. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
3. Which of the early presidents does Mencken identify as archetypal of the new American?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Andrew Jackson.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) James Monroe.
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(b) The Honorable.
5. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what location does Mencken say both the American and English orthographies flourish side by side?
2. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
4. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
5. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)