|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
2. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(b) Compromise for cheaper printing.
3. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
4. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The New English Dictionary.
(b) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
(c) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(d) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
5. Which of the following is a term used by philologists to indicate the "instinctive search, etymologically unsound, for short roots in long words"?
(a) Formative de-synthesizing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
2. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
3. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
5. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)