|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
2. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Political disharmony.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Regional diversity.
3. Which of the following is a term used by philologists to indicate the "instinctive search, etymologically unsound, for short roots in long words"?
(d) Formative de-synthesizing.
4. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
(a) The religious.
(b) The political.
(c) The patriotic.
(d) The ethical.
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(c) The Honorable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
2. Who is the author of "Travels in North America," published in 1827?
3. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
4. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
5. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)