|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
2. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
3. What is the American substitute for the English word "tin"?
4. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
5. Which European language has exerted the most influence on the American language?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
2. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
3. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
4. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
5. What purpose does Miss Wittmann say is served by the shortening of word forms?
This section contains 180 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)