|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
2. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
3. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
(d) Compromise for cheaper printing.
4. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Territorial expansiveness.
(b) Lack of a national literature.
(c) Political disharmony.
(d) Regional diversity.
5. Which 1914 English dictionary made many important concessions to American spellings?
(a) The New English Dictionary.
(b) The Cambridge Fleet Edition.
(c) The London Pocket Dictionary.
(d) The Concise Oxford Dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)