|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
2. According to Chapter 8.4, what is the first impulse behind American imitation of English orthography?
(b) Compromise for cheaper printing.
3. According to the tale spread by William Gifford, what language was supposed to be substituted for English during the Revolutionary War?
4. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
5. Which of the following groups of foreign immigrants does Mencken not attribute influence over American English in Chapter 6.4?
(b) Slavic peoples.
(c) South-Pacific Asian Islanders.
(d) Russian Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
2. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
3. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
4. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
5. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)