|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) George Washington.
(d) John Hancock.
2. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
3. What does the English "secondary school" correspond to in American?
(a) High school.
(b) Elementary school.
(d) Middle school.
4. What word best describes the English attitude towards the adoption of foreign loan-words, in contrast to the American attitude?
5. What does Mencken list as dominant the English alternative for the word "mail"?
Short Answer Questions
1. From what language does the English word "moose" come?
2. According to Mencken, the English opposition to American spelling transcends the academic and takes on the character of what?
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
4. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
5. What is the English meaning of the Hawaiian word "lanai"?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)