|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.3 | Chapter 8.4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word in common honorifics did Edwin S. Gould protest against omitting in 1867?
2. Which of the following did the African slaves NOT introduce to American English?
3. Which is the first factor that Mencken identifies as an immediate impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
(a) Regional diversity.
(b) Territorial expansiveness.
(c) Lack of a national literature.
(d) Political disharmony.
4. According to Mencken, which title is subject to the greatest divergence in usage?
(d) The Honorable.
5. From which of the following have the English changed their spelling?
Short Answer Questions
1. What English word does the author of "Men and Manners" lament about the American re-signification?
2. Which impulse behind American imitation of English orthography is more influential?
3. What American writer does Mencken claim likely inspired envy in British writers?
4. Which Founding Father is said to have sought to establish a new American alphabet?
5. Which is the second factor that Mencken identifies as an impediment to the growth of the American language in Chapter 3.1?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)