|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
2. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "happy fecundity."
(b) With "periodic intensity."
(c) With "sturdy fidelity."
(d) With "unconscious loathing."
3. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
4. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
5. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
2. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
3. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
4. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
5. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
This section contains 161 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)