|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
2. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
3. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "o."
(b) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(c) The normative "a."
(d) The normative "ch."
4. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
5. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
2. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
3. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
4. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
5. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)