|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "happy fecundity."
(b) With "unconscious loathing."
(c) With "periodic intensity."
(d) With "sturdy fidelity."
2. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
3. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
4. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
5. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
2. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
3. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
4. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
5. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
This section contains 172 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)