|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
2. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
(a) The subject noun(s).
(b) Adverbial modifiers.
(c) Adjectival modifiers.
(d) Verbs of action.
3. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
4. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
5. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
2. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
3. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
4. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
5. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
This section contains 177 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)