|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
2. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
3. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
4. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
5. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
(a) Adverbial modifiers.
(b) The subject noun(s).
(c) Adjectival modifiers.
(d) Verbs of action.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
2. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
3. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
4. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
5. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)