|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
2. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "happy fecundity."
(b) With "sturdy fidelity."
(c) With "unconscious loathing."
(d) With "periodic intensity."
3. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
4. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
5. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
2. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
3. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
4. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
5. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)