|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
2. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(b) The normative "o."
(c) The normative "a."
(d) The normative "ch."
3. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
4. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
5. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
(a) Verbs of action.
(b) Adjectival modifiers.
(c) The subject noun(s).
(d) Adverbial modifiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
2. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
3. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
4. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
5. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)