|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
2. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
(a) Adverbial modifiers.
(b) The subject noun(s).
(c) Verbs of action.
(d) Adjectival modifiers.
3. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
4. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
5. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
2. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
3. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
4. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
5. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
This section contains 185 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)