|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
2. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
3. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
4. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
5. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "a."
(b) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(c) The normative "ch."
(d) The normative "o."
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
2. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
3. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
4. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
5. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)