|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
2. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
3. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
4. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
5. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
2. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
3. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
4. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
5. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
This section contains 182 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)