|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
(a) Verbs of action.
(b) The subject noun(s).
(c) Adverbial modifiers.
(d) Adjectival modifiers.
2. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "unconscious loathing."
(b) With "sturdy fidelity."
(c) With "periodic intensity."
(d) With "happy fecundity."
3. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
4. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
5. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
2. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
3. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
4. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
5. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)