|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
2. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "sturdy fidelity."
(b) With "unconscious loathing."
(c) With "periodic intensity."
(d) With "happy fecundity."
3. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "o."
(b) The normative "a."
(c) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(d) The normative "ch."
4. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
5. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
2. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
3. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
4. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
5. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)