|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
2. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
3. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
4. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
5. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
2. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
3. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
4. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
5. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
This section contains 171 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)