|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
(a) The subject noun(s).
(b) Verbs of action.
(c) Adjectival modifiers.
(d) Adverbial modifiers.
2. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
3. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
(a) Syntactical compactness.
(b) Rhetorical circuitry.
4. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
5. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
(a) The dry climate.
(b) The moist climate.
(c) Genetic diversity.
(d) Colder air.
Short Answer Questions
1. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
2. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
3. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
4. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
5. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)