|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "unconscious loathing."
(b) With "happy fecundity."
(c) With "periodic intensity."
(d) With "sturdy fidelity."
2. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
3. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
4. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
5. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
2. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
3. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
4. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
5. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)