|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the physical basis to which the nasal twang of Americans is ascribed?
(a) The dry climate.
(b) Genetic diversity.
(c) Colder air.
(d) The moist climate.
2. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
3. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
(a) Rhetorical circuitry.
(c) Syntactical compactness.
4. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
5. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
2. According to Mencken, the name of what game puzzles etymologists?
3. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
4. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
5. Which double negative word is primarily found in Shakespeare?
This section contains 161 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)