|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language did the American derivative "coyote" originate?
2. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
3. How does Mencken characterize the vulgar American habitual use of the double negative?
(a) With "happy fecundity."
(b) With "unconscious loathing."
(c) With "periodic intensity."
(d) With "sturdy fidelity."
4. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
5. What difference in pronunciation does Mencken state most sharply distinguishes the two dialects?
(a) The normative "-ary" suffix.
(b) The normative "o."
(c) The normative "a."
(d) The normative "ch."
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
2. According to Mencken, how do the English pronounce "been?"
3. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
4. What does Sayce say that language is composed of in 1879?
5. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)