One Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.8 | Chapter 9.9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What purpose does the double negative primarily serve?
(a) Syntactical compactness.
(c) Rhetorical circuitry.
2. In what language does Mencken state the double negative was once "quite respectable?"
3. What letter, when preceding a consonant, greatly irritated Henry James like a "morose grinding of the back teeth?"
4. How do the English pronounce the first syllable in "lieutenant"?
5. What word was "coatee" used as a diminutive for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is frequently omitted in phrases indicated desire or intent, as indicated in Chapter 9.9?
2. In what sort of languages are double negatives "perfectly allowable"?
3. Which of the following groups of immigrants does Mencken claim have a profound effect on not only the American vocabulary, but also its pronunciation and idiom?
4. In terms of politics, an American candidate "runs" for office. What does an English candidate do?
5. Which word do Americans use for "angry" that was once an English provincialism considered base?
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)