|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last word Don says in Act I after Teach leaves?
2. What does Teach ask Bob about after he returns from the diner with Don's coffee?
3. In reference to the coin book, who says, "this is what I'm saying ... you got to know what you're talking about"?
4. What time of day is it in the first scene of the play?
5. How does Don reply when Teach asks him if he's going to "get" the man who bought his nickel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don show his concern for Bob's welfare in the beginning of Act I?
2. What reason is Bob supposed to give the hospital for how he got hurt?
3. What are Bob's injuries after being hit by Teach?
4. What is an example of Teach's unhappy nature in Act I?
5. Why does Bob complain about Don's suggestion that they look up the value of his nickel in the coin book?
6. In Act II, why is Teach worried about Fletcher being involved in the job?
7. Where and when does Act II take place?
8. Why is Ruthie's phone call to Don important in diffusing the tense situation between Teach and Bob?
9. What does Don try to teach Bob at the beginning of the play?
10. What does Teach mention about Bob that makes Don angry after he's given Bob fifty dollars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bob as a character who ultimately brings out the best in Don. How has Bob shown kindness toward Don? What does Don say to Bob at the end of the play that reflects the best side of his nature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how nicknames are used in the play. What is the significance of Bob calling Don "Donny" at the end of Act II? Is Teach's nickname appropriate for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss your view of Teach as a "businessman." What does he like best about his business deal with Don? Does it seem an easy way to earn a fast buck? Provide specific textual examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)